Starting Planted Tank

Plants substrate Co2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpayne2336

cpayne2336
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi all, looking for some advice on setting up planted tank, it's been about 15 years since last had an aquarium (cichlids) been to a few shops but got different advice from them all. Just wondering what kind of substrate I should get, what fertilisers and do I need Co2? I'd like to add discus to the tank later on if all goes well. Cheers guys

#2 G-Force

G-Force
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

You can do a planted tank very cheaply or very expensive. How much you put into it will affect how well/fast the plants grow but it is possible to grow *most* plants with just the basics

Substrate can simply be a fine-ish gravel or you could go all out with something like the ADA substrate (http://www.adaaust.c...soil_series.htm). Can also supplement the main substrate with additional bottom layers but I'm not very experienced in that area.

Plants need three things, light, nutrients and Co2. Which ever off these three is the lowest is going to be your growth bottleneck. if you're not using heavy ferts and/or high lightning then you dont need Co2. If you want to have a little bit of a boost you can go the DIY Co2 approach using yeast/sugar (plenty of guides around for this).

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of your planted tank and specifically what types of plants you're looking to grow.

#3 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

I just rebuilt my tank from cichlid to planted community. Been established 2 weeks now. Look up Kane (kane29) and give him a PM. He has some great planted tanks and knows more then most of us about how to get them looking great.
Kane hooked me up with nearly 100 plants to start my tank for a small donation to his running costs. Filled my 4ft tank easily.

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

I've seen some great basic planted tanks using very simple techniques. take a stocking or net sock and fill it with some aqua soil and a fertiliser tablet (slow release) and you can put that into just about any substrate. Then just use a liquid co2 booster and some API leaf zone. Top it off with a half decent led grow light and you're away :)

#5 cpayne2336

cpayne2336
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for advice guys, been getting so much different advice for aquarium stores was quite confusing!

#6 Substratum

Substratum
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

No need to spend a lot of money in my opinion. Just make sure that you buy iron substrate and a good light then fertilize with liquid CO2, general fertiliser and a Fe booster if you have red plants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plants, substrate, Co2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users