Photo

Helpful Tip For Fluval Fx5 Owners

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

I've been using this method for cleaning Fluval FX5's for a while now and find it to be the best method I've tried and I haven't seen it posted anywhere else so this may be a first.

The filter comes with an additional hose connector and is used in this method. The reason for this additional connector is to allow the easy emptying of the filter to aid in moving it from its current location to the cleaning area. I also use it for this but also for filling too. Read on and try it out the next time your cleaning your FX5. It may just be easier.

Step 1: turn off the filter and close both hose connectors

Step 2: disconnect outlet hose connector and connect the additional hose connector with a short length of hose. Long enough to reach into a bucket

Step 3: disconnect the inlet hose

Step 4: place the end of the short length of hose into a bucket, open the extra hose connector and turn the power on. This will pump about half the water out and make it easier to lift and move.

Step 5: clean the filter using your preferred method

Step 6: once finished cleaning, reassemble and place the filter back into position and connect the extra hose connector and hose into the outlet and the end of the hose into a bucket and open the connector

Step 7: connect the inlet hose connector

Step 8: hold the end of the short length of hose in the bucket and open the inlet hose connector. Water will then flow from the tank, through the filter and after all the air is expelled rom the filter the water will then flow into the bucket.

Step 9: continue untill no more air and only water comes out of the hose. Once there turn off the inlet hose connector.

Step 10: turn off and disconnect the extra hose connector. Drain the water out of the extra hose into the bucket by opening the connector

Step 11: connect the outlet hose connector

Step 12: open the inlet hose connector and then open the outlet hose connector and then power on the filter. All air or at worst, most of it should be expelled and the filter will be primed and good to go

Using this method allows for the filter to be easily moved, filled and primed.
The Fluval website and YouTube videos show a similar method but doesn't follow steps 8 and 9. This is the crux of this method.

I hope this helps anyone that finds moving and filling this giant filter a chore.

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Actually the additional connection at the bottom is so you can attatch a hose to for water changing. Allows empting the tank of dedired amount easier and faster.

No offence but your method sounds like a lot more stuffing around around then what's actually needed.

#3 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

Are they to heavy to lift with water in them?? Seems like a long process.

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

About the same as a white bucket filled with water in weight.
Heavy, but manageable for myself.
I've timed myself,,,, takes me about 12 minutes per fx5 to clean.

I like to leave water in and carry it out so I can pour it into two buckets and put central basket medias into.
While the beneficial bacteria is safe in that warm tank water I high pressure clean the rest.
And once cleaned, I wave my hands around in buckets and pour of the foul water.
I then quickly assemble to limit b.bacteria air exposure and quickly hook back up to tank.
Great filters.

#5 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

I used to just attach a hose to the canister that was long enough to reach the garden.

Close the return line and open up the hose, give it a good shake and turn it on to drain the tank.

Most of the gunk comes out with a good shake and you're emptying the tank at the same time. 

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

I used to switch the taps off, remove lid, and carry the bucket outside. Remove media in to a bucket full of tank water, then clean out the gunk from the fx5 bucket. If the motor was noisy prior to cleaning, I would unscrew the pump at this stage, remove the impellar, clean it, then put the filter back together. Connect the filter back up after putting everything back together, then the filter automatically fills up once opening the filter taps. Switch it on, and bobs your uncle

#7 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

all good.

But just so we are all on the same page as it seems Bowdy misunderstood the instructions, Im not referring to the small ball valve type outlet at the bottom of the canister, im talking about the actual outlet at the top of the canister. An extra hose connector is supplied with the filter and this is used to drain the canister too.

Edited by kassysimon, 19 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

We are all on the same page man. Your method not so much. You must be very bored.

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

don't be a bully ray :angry:

#10 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

A bully ? Come now we arnt in kindy. :)

#11 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I've had my two running constant for 9 years now,,, jeez, I must have got them when they first come out.
Not once have I pulled of the motor or serviced it,, it's always quite and problem free.
Great filters,,,,, I can see why people chase second hand ones.

Edited by Buccal, 19 August 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

i had to remove the motor twice in less than 12 months buccal. easy to clean, and very powerful filter, but I was annoyed about pulling it apart so often i such a short time. 

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm 6 foot tall, and the top edge of my display tank is as high as the top of my head.
The canisters sit on the ground.
The lower the canisters are, the more efficient they run.
The first year I had the canisters base sitting at same level as tank base.
They were a bit noisy and laboured easier when a bit blocked.
Once I placed them on the ground well below the tank,,,,, well what a difference.
Quite and stayed powerful when very blocked.

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

yeah i remember you mentioning that when i posted that i had probs with my tank. the filter was inside the cabinet under a 6x2x2. It did a great job filtering the tank, but was too noisy at night. 

pic of filter in cabinet:

fx5.jpg

pipes in tank:

fx5_intake.jpg

pic of tank to show how low the filter was:

DSCN0324.jpg

Unless I cut a hole in the floor, it wouldn't get any lower than it was. I also cut the pipes to correct length so there wasn't too much slack

Anyone tried the new Fluval FX6?

Edited by Jason82, 19 August 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#15 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sounds like a fair bit of effort to me , I have two 2080s on my tank and I don't go to any where nere that much trouble

#16 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Jason, I'm taking it that you now have the water jetting at the surface returning back to the tank. ,,,,,,

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Nope. Sold the filter and got an eheim and an Astro filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users