Need Advice On Heater

heater 300w

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

Need advice on good heater for a 200l tank looking at 300w, need a brand that will keep the correct temp and cut off to make sure temp doesnt go over cheers

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I dislike eheim jäger with a passion. A lot of people swear by them, but after I had a couple fail, I would trust an aqua one heater before and eheim.

#3 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:35 PM

is it better to go with a larger heater 

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

I think it's best to go with what the heater is rated for (e.g. 200litre tank go for a heater that is rated for a 200l tank)

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:32 AM

Agree. 200w will do the job with a lower risk than a 300w if it gets stuck on, which Eheims do from time to time.
I prefer AquaOne... not had one fail yet.
Had a couple Warmtone heaters from Robs that were really good. No problem recommending them.

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:24 AM

Just buy two that is rated to do about three quarters of what you need.
If you only have one in operation,, it'll be weak, but the two will stop their labouring performance and into expected performance.
I believe in many cases, especially with the famous Jäger, is that reputation makes people think they can use a bit smaller one or match it perfectly,,,, my belief is choose them twice the size you need,, much better still, buy the correct size one to suit then buy another to add.
What really floggs these suckers out, is when they are to small, they struggle to hard is that they run 24/7 and burn the crap out of themselves, then a odd water change they may become suspended partially in air also this burns them to,,,,,

First half of my fish keeping years, I burnt out heaters left right and center,,, as soon as I doubled up the needed size I never had a issue again,,,,,,, this advice to me came from big Kev at Malaga aquariums on his first week of opening. :)

Edited by Buccal, 28 June 2016 - 02:26 AM.

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:32 AM

Your Aquarium that has a perfect size heating amount added,,, should see your tank on a 1'c morning juuuust producing enough heat to make up for what the tank is losing,,, at least you'll know on a 5'c morning, you should be able to heat tank up slowly.
Getting it this close would prove not to much and not to little,,,, but these heaters have real authentic proper thermostats,, so it's impossible to waiste power on much heaters fitted to smaller tanks.
Set your temp for 26'c, expect your tank to drop no lower than 24-25 at any given time,,, keep your feeds halved and your in winter mode.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heater, 300w

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users