Photo

A Home For Archimedes

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Told ya it'd happen, even though 95% of people here love them.. there's some crap about not showing them lol

#22 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Loving this unique scape!

#23 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Loving this unique scape!

Thanks! Been doing some more work on it, have a few things added and Mr Archimedes is a very, very happy fish ^.^ Gave him some of those round bird toys to push around in the tank.

#24 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

My red devil loves picking up rocks and moving them around:)

#25 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

My red devil never did, i have about 20 young ones in my ibc... I might grow one up..

#26 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Apparently I'm not allowed to share my new pet with you, sorry guys.

Haters gonna hate... Maybe one day a west australian fish forum will be created that embraces all fish equally. A fish is a fish!!

#27 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yeah I agree lol, especially the one we are talking about has a whole line of them... :/ oh well.

95% of the people here like them anyway lol. I've had committee pm me about mine and text me asking for pics etc lol

#28 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Well I don't know - just don't like feeling marginalised when I'm being a responsible fish owner, and it makes me a bit sad no longer feeling like I would be wanted as a member of PCS.

Anyhoo, someone's having a lovely time redecorating the tank. I haven't quite mustered up the courage to stick my arm in and tidy up. I'm also getting some brown algae on the rocks from the sun coming in on the tank from the North. No longer pristine!

#29 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

Get a pleco in there & why won't you put your arm in? :/

#30 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

He's already killed a pleco, not going to risk it. I'm a bit worried he might bite me by accident! He jumps a good inch or two out of the water to grab pellets at feedtime, very enthusiasted muncher lol

#31 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Well I have one that is about 30cm+ & he doesn't touch plecos, I also have a few in another tank with plecos & stuff & they are fine. You need to put a big one in there for him if he's like that. Trust me :)

#32 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

It's been done, apparently the pleco he cleaned up was a pretty decent size. He seems happy by himself so I'm just going to let it be. Don't want a live animal suffer for the sake of some algae!

#33 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

A big enough pleco will handle itself, them things are like rock. I could knock someone out with one i reckon, have you felt a large pleco with your hands? they are as hard as nails

#34 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

(not trying to start an argument with you :) )

#35 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

I know :) I really really want a nice plec, but I just don't want to risk hurting it either if he's already known to be aggressive with them. I did specifically ask if it was a big plec too :(

#36 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

Okay well up to you of course :)

#37 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Haters gonna hate... Maybe one day a west australian fish forum will be created that embraces all fish equally. A fish is a fish!!

Plenty of those around already and they all seem to be dead for some reason or another.

Guys, with all due respect, if you want to talk about flowerhorns go ahead - flowerhornfun is a good place where you can talk with like minded people run by a knowledgeable and responsible fish keeper. Pcs is just not a place where constructive discussion regarding flowerhorns can happen. Committee has not contacted mattymak asking for pics - a committee member might have but it's not a committee action. And 95% of members wanting pcs to include flowerhorns is absurdly inaccurate - how many paid members do you actually know? There's currently 225.

Tinagirl how welcome would you feel if we left your pics up and the members who have been quiet so far get fed up and start commenting about how disgusting your fish is and you are for promoting such an evil part of the hobby etc etc etc? I reckon you'd feel pretty crap and committee doesn't want to see that. Mods remove such posts mainly to avoid such hostility not because committee has a campaign to destroy the flowerhorN hobby. Sorry it makes you feel unwelcome.

#38 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

I'm just stirring the pot haha, I respect and comply with your T&C's

#39 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Tinagirl how welcome would you feel if we left your pics up and the members who have been quiet so far get fed up and start commenting about how disgusting your fish is and you are for promoting such an evil part of the hobby etc etc etc? I reckon you'd feel pretty crap and committee doesn't want to see that. Mods remove such posts mainly to avoid such hostility not because committee has a campaign to destroy the flowerhorN hobby. Sorry it makes you feel unwelcome.

To answer your question, if people get fed up seeing another person taking excellent care of a live creature in a considerate way, that also happens to remove a hybrid from the gene pool and deliberately put it in isolation, as a responsible non-breeder would - then that's their problem. If people feel that it's evil to see a person come into cichlids for the first time and be so pleased with their personality that they want to share not only that fish but the good news that they are also getting into other purebred cichlids in a responsible manner - then that's their problem. Everyone has an opinion and a point to peddle.

I bought Archimedes because I adored his shenanigans and personality. Research taught me about the hybrid issue (from other sources than here) so I appreciated that he should not mix with other fish. It also gave me confidence to try other cichlids. Given time, he remains a pet to old age, while I support pure breeding in future pets. All done quietly with a minimum of fuss - exactly what your society seeks to achieve.

The thrust of it is that such points and views can be made constructively, kindly and in a genuine fashion to educate instead of alienating the very people you seek to reach. From a feedback point of view - I do now feel unwelcome and alienated, despite being a responsible fish owner.

edit: Just a note to say I've been contacted privately and had a lovely conversation. Thank you for the civility on this forum!

Edited by tunagirll, 13 August 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#40 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I know a lot of members Poncho & a lot like them. As I said even committee members contact me asking things & for pics lol. I'm not arguing though :) I'll stick to the t&c.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users