Bristlenose Peppermint Bristlenose Breeding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cojakk

Cojakk
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hi there,
I am new to all these online fish forums so thought today I will give it a try! :D

I am looking at breeding peppermint bristlenoses and have done a lot of research but find myself needing to ask so many questions! First, if people could give me their opinion on my current proposed setup:
Tank dims: 92cm x 30cm and 38cm deep
Tank will have no gravel, 2-3 caves and driftwood, filter, heater set to ~27 degrees and I male and 2 female peps. Is there anything else that I need?
For feeding, veges such as cucumber and pumpkin, in combination with algae pellets have been the most popular upon research.
I found a lot of people saying "in-gravel filter", "hang on filter" and "overhead filter" and I'm unsure as to the meaning of these and which I should get for my bristlenoses. Also have heard keeping them in the dark is beneficial, so is a light necessary?

Any clarification, opinions and help in general would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to seeing how all this works, thanks! :D

Cojakk

#2 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Wishing you all the best, I've recently just purchased 15 little fellas that I'm going to grow up, there beautiful fish! There's plenty of expert advise on here, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to Perth Cichlid Society!

Your feeding ideas are perfect. Except I'd use Zuchini instead of cucumber and remember to par boil the pumpkin.

Hope it all goes well! And remember that peppermint bristle nose reach breeding age at 8-10cms.

HTH! goodluck

#4 JARMAN

JARMAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Just a random question! 

i have been told by someone who i am buying a proven breeding peppermint male of that it has had fry before with a common female.

just wondering if commons and peppermints can crossbreed?

#5 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

No.

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

:Rofl_3f:  :poster_oops:  :agreed: kleinzee interbreeding between pepps and commons doesnt happen in our aquarium conditions....

search this forum for info on peppermints... i know i have posted heaps before as have other people... everything you need to know :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bristlenose, Peppermint Bristlenose, Breeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users