Photo

Coral Light

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MilkyJoe

MilkyJoe
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hey guys, currently looking at setting up a Nano-Reef and pondering lighting.

The tank is 70 liters and 50cm high.

The options I have for lighting are either a 130W CFL or a 150w MH.
What are the pro's and con's of the above lights?

Power consumption, Coral Growth, Heat Generated etc.

What sort of frequency would I be after for nice bright colours and healthy coral growth?

As for what I want to keep, I'll probably start of with some soft corals but want sufficient lighting to move onto more demanding corals once tank is properly established.

Thanks alot!

Kieran

Edited by MilkyJoe, 16 April 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#2 Gareth

Gareth
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hey mate sounds interesting, I currently have a 2ft cube going atm. I started with t5's then put MH on now I have a LED unit.

t5's-Good overall output of light but didn't have the same intensity as MH or LED. Too many tubes to replace all at once too.

MH-Awesome output of light, alot more crisp than the t5's, but exspensive bulb replacement and initial cost for a good unit and tend to bulky units too.

LED-Really dont have any negatives about the LED unit, lasts a long time without bulb replacement, good initial price @ $350 for the 110watt I think from memory. Should last atleast 17years.

This is all from my personal experience from having the three types of light units. Also keeping LPS and SPS corals which are all doing pretty well IMO.
Personally LED is the way to go because of initial cost, running costs, and light intensity.

Cheers,
Gareth

Edited by Gareth, 16 April 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm very much in the same boat as Gareth here, I've used all three as well as T8 tubes(need heaps) and my personal favourite is the MH.
Why? Well I really like the look of the light and the natural effect it seems to have, provided you have the right globe smile.gif I've doubled up with the led as well so i am currently running a 70w MH with 10,000k globe and 2 all blue 42led units. The blue leds gives the coral a fluorescent look, as well as providing a precise spectrum of light. The MH just finishes it off. The downside of the the MH is the heat and the globe replacement but the heat issue is a pretty easy fix with a couple of 12v fans or by running a chiller smile.gif

I'm going to upgrade to all LED soon as Vebas has some awesome little 50W units coming in that are like looking into the sun!! Should work perfect for a smaller aquarium and I believe most LEDs have a life of around 50,000 hours. (don't quote me on that) I'll take some before and after pics for you with the different lights on when I pick up the led unit smile.gif

Cheers
Rigs

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'd go with LEDS the others are old school (power consumption, heat, bulkiness and replacement costs ) times are a changing. cheers.gif Steve

#5 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

im going to start making my own LED units. i used to build LED effects lights before they were popular and mass produced. its not hard at all.. especially if u dont have to make hem change color every 2 seconds!

#6 MilkyJoe

MilkyJoe
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Not at all suprised at the praise for LED.
It was a toss up between the two because I already have the lights! Thinking I might go with the metal halide for now.

Rigger, would one of these 50w LED units be enough for a tank my size? If so, what so vebus want for them and when are they getting them in?

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm not sure mate, I'm heading down there in about 15 mins mate I'll find out all the juicy details on the led unit and let ya know smile.gif

#8 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Ok it's a 50w led unit, blue white combo, not 100% sure on price but most likely around $250 mark which IMO is great!! They should be in within a week or so smile.gif

Let us know how you go mate smile.gif

#9 MilkyJoe

MilkyJoe
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

thanks for that rigger! Do you think a 50w LED unit would be okay for a tank my size?

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't see why not, what I know about LEDs is minimal, I'm guessing it would do a 2x2 area quite well, Vebas would be able to confirm or deny that smile.gif

#11 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

just a thought There is a 120w Led light that is brilliant for a 2x2x2 foot print Vebas use them over their coral tanks.

#12 MilkyJoe

MilkyJoe
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Just picked up a 50w LED unit from Vebas for only $195! Compact little unit.
Will put a photo up when I get home. Cheers for the tip off rigger!

Edited by MilkyJoe, 27 April 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Good stuff mate smile.gif I'll be heading down next week to pick one up myself.... smile.gif

#14 MilkyJoe

MilkyJoe
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Here is the light on my tank! Note, phone enhances the blue somewhat.
Attached File  IMAG0319.jpg   642.58KB   26 downloads

My question is, do I need to hang it or would it be okay sitting on the glass under the hood? Would salt water evaporation get sucked in and corrode the electronics?
I can always seal it inside the hood with a breather hole on top.

Here is the actual unit.
Attached File  IMAG0321.jpg   872.12KB   21 downloads

Thanks, Kieran!

#15 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I would definately hang it, much safer... or cut a hole in the top of the hood to mount it on.

Cheers
Pacco

Edited by pacco, 27 April 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#16 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Is that the same unit as you have over the TB tank pacco ? How big a tank would you say one of thoes would cover. For cichlids not marine or planted.
Cheers.

#17 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Same unit but in the marine configuration (1/2 blue, 1/2 white)... depends on how high you hag them and how bright you want it.
We are probably going to start with 2 of them on the 7'x4' Malawi display, I would think that one per 2' of tank length would be as bright as you'd want to go with them.

Cheers
Pacco

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I was thinking of getting one for my 4x2x2 troph display.

#19 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

That's sweeeeeeeeeeeet.. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users