Canister Sucking Air

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

Hi all, the canister filter I cleaned last week is sucking air somewhere. It was fine for several days before I went camping. I only cleaned the canister and not hoses. Now it has a steady stream of micro-bubbles and every so often gives a gurgle and blows bubbles. Never had this before. Sigh - fish tanks 😩 No leaks and filter runs quiet still. I've switched off for moment as I assume bad for impeller? Any thoughts on what to do appreciated. I'm assuming I'll have to pull the canister filter out and try re-seating the head? It is a tight fit to get it down properly. Also I've never used the o-ring grease - could that help? Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Delapool, 06 January 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#2 al4n

al4n
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

I would resit the head of the canister

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

I don't use O-ring grease but I always make sure it is wet before reseating.

check your hoses, joins, taps etc.

fully primed? gentle rocking doesn't get rid of all air?

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

Hi, thanks I'll try wetting. I think it was semi-dry. Seemed to be fully primed when I got it going / will try the rocking. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

I would resit the head of the canister

^ This is what I was going to suggest. Had a canister sucking air once. I took the head off it, and there was a small grit of crushed coral substrate on the seal. I removed the grit, lubed the seal (oh yeah!) and put it back together and the canister has worked fine ever since then.

#6 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Always lube rubber seals, i just use vaseline it does the trick and never had a problem. This goes for new canisters too, the rubber needs to be lubed to stop it from drying out, going hard and splitting. It prolongs the life of the seal.

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

Ok, thanks - I always wondered why that was done. Will report back today - fingers crossed!

^ This is what I was going to suggest. Had a canister sucking air once. I took the head off it, and there was a small grit of crushed coral substrate on the seal. I removed the grit, lubed the seal (oh yeah!) and put it back together and the canister has worked fine ever since then.

It's possible that happened or something. Normally it's a real fight to get the head dogged down - this time it went on second go and I just thought oh well, a win.

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Well today suckth. Cleaned o-ring and got rid of some scale. Did the Vaseline and re-seated head.

Attached filter hoses, looked good, come back after a minute and floor flooded.

Cleaned up and will have a second go after tea. Used the last of the old towels as we used most camping. Really hoping second go is the charm.

#9 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

Where is it leaking from?
Might be time for new o-rings ;)

#10 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

No good. I wiped the Vaseline in case too much but it's pretty much a solid stream of water coming out. Tested outside and the canister itself just sitting there doesn't leak but connected there is a leak under pressure. I think it is the head connection leaking as water coming from both sides of head and not at back near connection but hard to tell as funny design. The o-rings and connections look ok, it looks a good seal (although not). Anyways if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thoughts? Going to start looking online tonight for another. Tbh, I'd rather replace it then come home to flooded furniture. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Delapool, 06 January 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Whats the filter?

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

What brand and model is the canister? I'm the same as you, would rather fork out a couple of hunj than end up flooding the floor.

#13 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

It's an Aqua One Nautilus 2700 UVC. About 15 to 20 litres I think in size. Ruddy heavy after 5 trips with it outside so fed up. Sorry Mattia I missed your post. I think it is leaking from the head. The head o-ring looks fine that I can see but could be. There are also two o-rings on the hose connection. It could also be the connection there as the drain has a funny design. When I tried that the hose connection drained to the back while this is pretty much pouring out either side of the canister head (if that makes sense). The tap to turn flow on/off seems fine / normal. Hose connections to head aren't leaking. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Delapool, 06 January 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#14 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm so glad I don't run canisters anymore. A few too many of these over the years and I gave them away. Prefer internal filtration as no potential leaks.

sent from Huawei P9 using tapatalk app.

#15 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

Yes, it been a painful night. Just started looking around. The fluval FX4 caught my eye to see what you get for the price but it won't fit. Cupboard is 35cm wide and these are 40cm wide.

#16 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

Could you just simplify and do away with your canisters? I did so for just these reasons. I only run one display tank about 750 liters with fronts and just run two internal eheim filters. Means A little bit more regular cleaning of those but takes 5mins.

sent from Huawei P9 using tapatalk app.

#17 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Just replace the head seal and this time lube it from day one. Pre-filter the canister by placing a sponge on the in-take this will stop you from having to break the seal every couple of months to clean it. Which is over kill IMO, then all you have to do is replace the sponge with a clean one every 10 days or so depending on your set up. doing this you should only have to clean it once a year as your removing most of the waste from the tank every 10 days or so. So much easier and takes like 30 seconds to service your filter. If you go away on holidays as a precaution remove the intake sponges all together, to easy.

Edited by sandgroper, 07 January 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#18 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Could possibly simplify - it's a bit complex at moment (so I really should lol).

I wonder if the drop onto the retaining wall did something after all.

I've got to look into pre-filters. Can you buy them ready made or do you make them?

I ended up going for a drive this morning and got a replacement at Pet Magic. PCS card came in handy for discount. It probably is a seal somewhere but this way I just have peace of mind and I can get it sorted before back to work.

This arvo I hope to get it setup and do pwc . Should be quick since I know the filter. Pinching sponge filters off old one as I'm not going to make it so heavy with ceramic media this time.

#19 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Done (thank goodness). Not touching that filter for a bit lol. Used most of the sponge from both filters.

I had a bottle of seachem seed so tipped that in there to use up. Will test for ammonia tomorrow - hopefully other filters pick up the load.

A big thanks to everyone for information and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users