Photo

A Tip For Queenslanders

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Queenslanders if your living in an area thats been flooded out several times in history, is flooded out right now and is in fact expected to flood out again in future, then its probably not a good idea to rebuild in that area "again", its just Ive noticed you people keep rebuilding in those flood prone areas, its not a brave thing to do, its sounds plain stupid.

From what I gather in the reports its seems many, maybe even most of the people affected by the flood built or bought properties in known flood areas, why should we spend want our tax dollars on a stupid state Govenment that allows people to build in known floodways.

I seen a guy in his thirties half weeping on the news cause his house was destroyed, and he said "we will rebuild" as if its the brave thing to do, I dont know why the reporter didnt point out, "you do realise this area will flood out again at least 2 more times in your lifetime, so might not be a good idea". Anyway why would the media want to stop this sort of thing, death, tears and disaster, they are loving it.

Exmouth has similar 25year events called cyclones and WA has the intelligence to create a building code that ensures buildings can cope with those conditions, perhaps the Queensland Gov needs to look at its building codes? looks like houses built in some areas need the ability to float.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 09:58 AM.

#2 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

you have hit an all time low den, there is no need to post heartless crap like this, wake up to your self or have you been on the grog already today ?

#3 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

No its not heartless Its smart. If you live in a flood prone area this sort of issue will pop up some time. Yes i feel for those who have lost everything. But when you live in the flood plains your bound to have this happen.

#4 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

you have hit an all time low den, there is no need to post heartless crap like this, wake up to your self or have you been on the grog already today ?

OK robbo, I just worked out an easy retirement, I will go build a house below the high tide mark, then watch my house flood every day and the whole country can feel sorry for me and I can live on hand outs for the rest of my life.

These events arent extroadinary, they are expected, and the Queensland goverment should be accountable, especially for allowing new settlements in areas known and expected to flood.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

Why can't you see the valid point?? Up in port headland they get 9m tides regularly if someone built a house at 6m above the waterline would you feel sorry for them?

#6 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Why can't you see the valid point?? Up in port headland they get 9m tides regularly if someone built a house at 6m above the waterline would you feel sorry for them?

Neatkit, I dont think anyone in this Country sees the point, its ridiculous, watching the reports of the same places getting flooded over and over again and people still havent got the message, lmao, not even one comment in the media criticising the Goverment planning codes, what a joke.

Edited by Cawdor, 13 January 2011 - 10:24 AM.
removed quote of deleted text. Cawdor

#7 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

You dont think its more important to worry about saving property and lives at the moment???
Obviously Den isnt missing any family members....

#8 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

property can be replaced lives are important. but that still doesn't get away from the fact that they live in a flood area. Did any one know that most insurers wont insure anyone for flood in queensland?

#9 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

So the 30,000 plus places that are under water in the heart of Brisbane should be left in ruins.
Now that we know that is prone to flooding it would be silly to repair a city with 2.5 million people?
Mate 1000's and 1000's of people live in or near the bush and we know what happens when there is a fire.
Maybe if you think you are right you should fly to qld and stand in front of a tv camera and say that they all got what they deserved because they built on a flood plain.
Yea i would pay for the ticket to watch them tear you a new one.
you really don't look at the big picture when you talk crap do you Den .... just like a little kid all-ways needing the attention no matter how stupid you look trying to get it.

#10 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

http://www.watoday.c...tml?comments=22

This one makes much more sense
http://news.ninemsn....lame-for-floods

Edited by werdna, 13 January 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#11 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

You dont think its more important to worry about saving property and lives at the moment???
Obviously Den isnt missing any family members....

No becuase you could be assured that if any of my family planned to build or buy in a flood area I would do my best to inform them its a very bad idea. I did look at buying a house in various parts of Queensland, and you know they sell the houses in flood areas for cheaper prices, so its not as if many of these people didnt know its going to happen one day.

Dont put me down or label me as heartless, I would never like to see this sort of thing happen again, but unless the mentality out there is changed these tragedies will be repeated, just ask any weather beauro.

(spelling edit)

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#12 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

At the moment it's about what we can do to help. Not about what could have been done.
I think there's a time and place for somethings

My heart goes out to the families affected by the floods

#13 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

So the 30,000 plus places that are under water in the heart of Brisbane should be left in ruins.
Now that we know that is prone to flooding it would be silly to repair a city with 2.5 million people?

who let the problem get that large? put them in jail. I havent seen the news for a few hours but the last report I heard was 6000 thousand houses expected to flood around Brissie based on historic occurances and water estimates,(note this is not the first or last time this will happen), so Im not sure on your figures.

Anyway there is no alternative, if you dont want to get flooded, people need to move away from areas that flood, and why leave it in ruins? salvage whats possible and move to higher ground, and turn those flood areas back to bushland and parks.

Anyway Im not going to debate issues, Im just pointing out its not a good idea to live in areas expected to flood, and in hindsight I do feel sorry for the Queensland people, it seems their Government has let them down bigtime through very bad planning.

PS Hilucks next time call me a RICHARD CRANIUM instead and maybe you wont get your post deleted by the mods.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

all that can be done is being done, But the fact still remains people do silly things.

#15 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

Most of the time its not what is said but how its said. Pauline Hanson said a lot of stuff but media and hype twisted what initially was said, and yet now, many of her policies are now part of both parties Liberal and Labor policies.
We are a form of media and to give attention to peoples opinion is vaild it is just how its said.
Now if Den would have said, "once this has all been cleared and the dust settled it might be a good time re-think and develop anti flood dykes, dams etc..' it may have come over a little better. Many people just choose to forget or hope that it may never happen again as in '74, unfortunately it usually does, especially in a flood plain.
However in saying this there are a few countries that do flood or have a fear of dykes breaking and they do make floating houses, those that have huge areas under the house just empty, like the hull of a baot but square and they just float up and down as need be. They are secured to their own pillons which they float up and down on, just thought i would say that, couldn't imagine thousands of homes just floating away.

#16 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Sorry Den, a new low it would appear. As you have apparently more time and money than most, perhaps you should get on a plane and help out where you can, perhaps you should volunteer to those people in non flood prone Toowoomba and assist in recovering the bodies of the children and parents lost. You seem to have a knack of taking the opposite stance to what the general community .

Now unfortunately I am on the comittee and do not wish to be banned for inappropriate comments against a fellow member, but suffice to say pull your head in you narcacistic "sharp, local pain, such as that made by a needle".

I feel this thread to be another in the long line of self serving "drivle".

#17 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Sarahjayne1988 @ Jan 13 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the moment it's about what we can do to help. Not about what could have been done.

get it through your thick head mate

#18 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

The worst of the areas that got flooded in 74 did have new preventions in place to stop flooding. There were 2 new dams built and new levies as well .....so i don't think they just went oh well we flooded lets build there again with no change.
The massive floods through out Brisbane were a combination of events that have never happened before and that no precautions could have prevented.
Weeks of rain .... king tides and the newer dams reaching 100% capacity was never predicted to occur at the same time.
On the other hand i do agree with some of what you have said.
There are areas that get flooded several times ever few years and people rebuild on them...this in my eyes is silly and should be avoided.
Much like tornado ally in the states ...every year the houses get blown away and every year people will rebuild there.

I think this argument will come up in Qld in the coming weeks as i have already herd it being talked about in the news but until then i feel for the people of Qld losses as i know a few people over there that are stuck in the middle of all this and have lost everything.

#19 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Sarahjayne1988 @ Jan 13 2011, 10:32 AM)

get it through your thick head mate

So exactly what are all you people doing other than watching? maybe making the odd donation? done that already, I would like to participate further in the help, what about a flyer warning people not to rebuild in areas expected to flood again, any other ideas? would like to help out as much as possible, since all you guys are doing something to help please let me join your efforts....

#20 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Den if you are an Aussie i am ashamed to be one. I CALL FOR THE KICK VOTE

Where people grow up, work the land, see loved ones live and die will always be home and a place of there hearts no matter how how much they go through.

Infact i dont even no why im explaining this to you. I notice you havent posted this crap over on Spuds site, go do it, you know he wouldn't stand for it especially as we haven't heard from Dragon in the last fortnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users