How To Plant A Planted Tank. Help!!

Discuss plants co2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

So I have put Amazonia aquarium dirt stuff in my aquarium, put in the drift wood and set it up how I want it to look. Have just ordered a CO2 system and tank etc which should arrive next week. Now I want to have a full planted aquarium with a full carpet and stuff. Just curious of what I should do next? Do I wait the co2 comes or can I slowly fill it up a little and put some plants in? What's the best was to plant aquariums? What are good plants to choose and where from?

#2 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Plant it while it has very little water in it, will make your life much easier.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Depends what you want to grow.
Find some plants you like, research them and ask any questions you might still have and go from there.
what are you doing for lighting? How talls your tank?

#4 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Just got a led light but will get a proper one for plants in time. The tanks 55cm tall . Any recommendations on carpet plants and talk plants?

#5 Just Drive

Just Drive
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

micro swords or dwarf hairgrass are good ground covers in my opinion.

talk plants?

talk plants?.......or tall plants?

#6 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

Tall* but let's talk plants about tall plants. Live the look of the micro swords when they are cut back. With the taller plants is like some sort of purple/red in there. Also I have some driftwood that is like to get some sort of plant growing on. Any suggestions? Also as this is my first time into live plants where abouts is a good supplier in Perth preferably north of the river but will travel. Would you recommend stores like city farmers? Or city barn?

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Aquotix are the plant gurus hands down. Saw some nice bigger plants at Vebas not so long ago. There is a forum member here Kane29 I think off the top of my head. Apparently he is a bit of a planted nut, was offering some cool plants cheap not so long ago.

#8 chocobikies

chocobikies
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

i say best person to see is this guy darren<-- he's got a fill your 4ft tank for $60

He's also got a site http://aquaticplantsdirect.webs.com/

got the $60 worth plants from him recently and most are doing quite well - no CO2 injection either

what my tank looks like after 3 weeks from planting (most have rooted)

photo_by_chocobikies-d7h28wm.jpg

the java moss i had already and i bought an extra pot of lilaeopsis (the grassy plant) from bunnings for $10 (spliting this will give you a lot - half i put in another tank)

but everything else was from Darren

#9 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Nice tank what substrate are you using and do you dose frets???

#10 chocobikies

chocobikies
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

I layed some allpurpose compound fertiliser (slow release) on the bottom before putting the river sand (from soils aint soils) on top. Also added some "nulife powergrow" (hydroponic/aquaponic solution - u can get at bunnings) everytime i did a water change. (the fertiliser hasnt killed my guppies yet so im assuming i'm not overdosing just yet)

Get some flocculant like rapiclear if you've got new sand/substarate because it will get pretty cloudy

#11 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

General tip: Pop your plants in and start with a short photoperiod, minimal CO2 and light ferts. You can then slowly increase from there.

#12 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Got a hold of Kane29 who lives close as apposed to aquotix who I am going to see on Thursday. Langford and aquotix are pretty far away from Hillary's and since mum is my taxi that a big ask. I will go to aquotix one day for some stuff but not at the moment due to study. Tuna grill could you explain the photoperiod a bit more? Like what does that do?

#13 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Got a hold of Kane29 who lives close as apposed to aquotix who I am going to see on Thursday. Langford and aquotix are pretty far away from Hillary's and since mum is my taxi that a big ask. I will go to aquotix one day for some stuff but not at the moment due to study. Tuna grill could you explain the photoperiod a bit more? Like what does that do?

i think he means start off with minimal lighting to help the plants adjust to the new conditions

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Photoperiod = time lights are on allowing photosynthesis. Process of converting light energy into usable energy for growth. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discuss, plants, co2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users