Photo

Freshwater Fish Allowed To Be Imported Into Australia

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

The majority of people who keep freshwater fish in Australia are not aware of what is and is not allowed to be imported into Australia. Following is the current listing for the species allowed in and the requirements to do so. In general, if the a species is not on the list, it is not 'illegal to keep', but 'not allowed into the country', that is no more new specimens can come through our ports. This is why cichlids, most of which are not on the list, are in such high demand. We rely on breeders in Australia to keep on producing fish varieties for the future. This is also why there is a strong opposition to hybrids and some line-breeds in this country, once we loose a species, it is hard to get it back.

ICON Website - Freshwater Fish (other than Salmonidae) - Live

Import Premise Regulations

The list of fish is at the end of the document.

If anyone has any questions about the importation and quarantining of freshwater fish that is not covered by this document, you can PM me or post a general question on the forums and I will try and answer it for you.

Mr_docfish

Edited by Mr_docfish, 05 December 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#2 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

A new major review of this list is underway (due in May )- http://www.aqis.gov....p;TopicID=25112

Any idea how the list is going to change?

"There have been some changes in scientific information in terms of the known susceptibility of fish species to disease agents of biosecurity concern" - does that imply that the list is going to be even more restrictive?

Edited by deliriouz, 04 March 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

It is hard to expain in detail here how and why, but basically, this review will do little change at this point in time...
As it is at the moment, there is no funding for DAFF to continue with any changes and reviews until after the federal election..... Since PM Gillard has put the federal government into caretaker mode for her own survival, no decisions or new funding can be made... So in general, DAFF in Canberra are going to work to twiddle their thumbs on tax payers money until they get more funding to do something worthwhile.....
Ok... Rant over.... smile.gif

Edited by Mr_docfish, 04 March 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#4 newtonj

newtonj
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Is there another link for the grey list? This one isnt working for me

#5 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Grey list has now been finalised & all species deemed high risk have now been added to the noxious list. The final list was far better than expected & many fish on the grey list did not get declared as noxious. Link to new list below.
http://www.fish.wa.g...anned-Fish.aspx

#6 newtonj

newtonj
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

so does that mean if its not on this list i can import it? 

#7 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

No, it means if its on that list you cant:

• keep, breed, hatch or culture them;
  • have them in your possession;
  • consign or convey them;
  • release them into any waters; or
  • put them into a container or receptacle in which they might remain alive.

To import a fish from overseas it needs to be on the import list and you need to be a licensed importer

#8 newtonj

newtonj
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

ok thats what i expected to hear. where can i find the import list?

#9 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

http://www.comlaw.go...ils/F2014C00744

#10 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Where can I find the current grey list?

#11 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

There is no current grey list, the noxious list is finalised until they decide on the next review.

#12 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

Does that mean bichirs etc are not classed as a threat?

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

looks like red tail catties made it through as well.... 

so the grey list is gone now.... but whats this about a white list ? 

and was looking through - madtoms look like they were picked on heavily... i assume there is some madtoms we can have otherwise it would have been listed as all madtoms ?

hmmm better go google madtoms and see what they are anyway :)

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

madtoms are a small catfish - very cute - dont grow very big - but after reading for a while i find out they have sticking poisonous spines on their backs.... so i dont want one anyway lol :)

#15 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Disappointed that only males of Parosphromenus deissneri are allowed. Hard enough keeping them alive in an aquarium - they wouldnt stand a chance in our waterways. Any local breeders around?  

#16 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

As per anything cool, fisheries wont let you have it cause there tools.

As with bichirs, aros etc there not noxious, however pose a threat to WA bio security, so they said it will be confiscated and destroyed.

Not worth the risk....... But hey, freshwater rays are fine, knob heads <complement :)>

#17 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

I don't know if I'd say they were knob heads, maybe they don't understand where we are coming from.
Maybe they don't know anything about the species and have only been fed the BS from other ppl who know nothing of the hobby and the species.
I think we should approach DAFF in a decent manner and ask why they think those species would cause chaos.
Maybe they would then have an understanding that ppl who spend $$$ on certain species are in no way going to dump then in the waterways.

#18 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

EDIT.

I cant stand them, and think there noxious lists are based on useless data, 1/2 of the species here would never adapt to our waterways.

why don't they focus more on eliminating the problems in our water ways instead of preventing them? Probably cause they lost that last battle and just want to pick on the rest of the industry.

Edited by Jules, 13 June 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#19 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

The latest lists are the final result of quite a few years of work involving members from all affected parties including representation from the hobby. As far as they are concerned they have taken all factors into consideration & all criteria have been thoroughly examined. Approaching them with your suggestions would be pointless as the exercise has already been done as far as they are concerned.
Before anyone gets too annoyed with the lists, just have a look at the original grey list & be thankful that common sense does appear to have prevailed to a fair degree ( no rays, aros, big cichlids except tilapia- not buttekopferi etc etc made it to the final list). ( see the info with all details about this selection on website 'strategic approach to management of ornamental fish in australia')
In regards to the current dramas with non noxious exotics, this is a pain & hard to deal with. Most of the problem i have heard about is local fisheries, not DAFF ( fish getting cleared by daff, only to have the local mob turn up a week or 2 later). Basically i suspect they wish to stop these being smuggled into to country by making life hard for those poor buggers that buy them legally here. Cut off the market rather than the source. This seems to contradict the whole purpose of developing a new noxious list.
This sort of thing is often driven by a small number of officers with an agenda. Sadly any approach to these people will only be met with hostility & is unlikely to yeild any positive outcomes as they have no sympathy for the average aquarist.
Unfortunately this approach by them is counterproductive imo as it will just drive them underground, like shrimp are now becomming.

#20 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Gotta remember Perth/SW water ways are not the best for all these types of fish but Up north in the warner waters some of these noxious fish will flourish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users