Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Don't You Hate It When ......................

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DFishkeeper

DFishkeeper
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Don't you hate it when you can smell something dead in the fishroom but can't find it.

I could smell something off for the last day or so but despite a couple of quick looks couldn't find a body big enough to generate the smell. On occasion I've had the odd big fish or bristlenose escape from a tank and stink the place out but have always been able to find them fairly quickly by following my nose.

But when I opened the fishroom this morning after being closed up all night I almost fainted from the smell. Luckily it became almost bearable once the room was opened up and aired, but I knew I had to find it as it would only get worse.

So I spent a few hours today trying to isolate the general area it seemed to be coming from and looking for it. I cleaned out most of one end of the fishroom, including moving and cleaning under and around my fish food/beer fridge and still no luck.

So as it was obvious the body wasn't in clear sight anywhere and was most likely stuck in some inaccessible little spot, I had a brainwave and went and got the trusty blue heeler. Since it was unlikely it would be in a place where she could try and roll in it (trust me, she would). And she was straight onto it, trying to get behind my main return pump and under the Nally megabin I use as a sump. So in I crawled with a torch and a scented hanky over my nose and there it was, a dead rat covered in maggots.

So sparing you the gory derails, once located I managed to drag it out and get it into a bag and in the wheely bin, losing my lunch a couple of times in the process.

At least one end of the fishroom has had a spring clean now :)

#2 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I had this exact same thing happen in the fishroom not two weeks ago. I am glad for you that you found it. As it can be absolutely retched until you do. Good story too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

Ouch! So glad now all my escapee's end up dried and dust covered. Sounds dreadful.

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Even worse when they make a home and breed within the walls of the fish room and then all die from mouse poison.... That was not a good smell at all...

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

We had them get into the roof of a kit home and then die from rat bait - I totally agree that was not a good smell at all.

One in Kambalda I think died of heart attack as I bought a large Easter egg, left it sitting on floor in box in spare room and it started eating its way up. Only time I've seen a mouse scamper across a room to need a breather half way.

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

had a different smell not so long ago too....... although after a few days it stopped and i no longer bothered looking for it...

till i was looking for spare light globe stashed under tanks - i found the smell - dead dried up frog in one of the rat traps :)  

when you get that dead rat smell its not long till a few blowflies turnup and a few days later maggots and ants have cleaned up and no more smell... you do usually find a dried up skeleton and furry skin left behind though..... 

and after you find a semi decomposed human body the smell of dead rats is almost like perfume.... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users