Sw Starter Tank Size

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

Came away from last meeting toying with the idea of a salt water tank. From memory, Red Sea tanks and minimum of 120(?) litres was suggested.

I know larger tanks are better but have been thinking of a small SW tank for some time. Just something to dip a toe in the water.

Any thoughts on what is possible for a small tank for size and inhabitants? I guess I was thinking 50 to 100 litres. Space is likely to be an issue.

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:12 AM

RSM 130D is an excellent reef tank! Was nearly a 2ft cube, so wasn't to large.

Here is my old one, completely gutted out from standard but was a great starting point!

Miss that tank.........

Attached File  Picture panasonic 156.jpg   245.27KB   6 downloads

Gees seeing the image so large makes me really want to do a reef tank again, great :unsure:

#3 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

I've always wanted to do a small tank with a peacock mantis shrimp, would be cool fun to feed stuff to :)

Edited by ice, 07 December 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

Yes, seeing photos from Ash (can’t remember what it was?) - a SW tank looked pretty interesting. I still have a box reef led light somewhere as well.

#5 Ashram

Ashram
  • Committee

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:50 AM

I just picked up a Redsea 130 second hand and so far it seems to be a good tank and size. I think it needs a chiller though! Also if you do buy one new Delapool go with the reefer model that doesnt come with the T5s I know you would be better served in the long run with some leds. I know you love the tech of it all and Salt water is certainly full of new tech all the time.

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

:) New test kits!

Do Red Sea tanks allow box LEDs or do they come with a set of lights?

The box led I bought from Vegas 3 years ago or something and is a proper marine light about a foot by a foot (with two fans).

I did buy two for the planted tank but cooked one I think from getting too hot under the hood. And could never hang it so in the end was happy to convert back to strip lights. (amazing growth out of plants but also BBA ).

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

tear the hood off and hang the light or get a bracket mafe, also reduces the heating issue ( however I ran a chiller and its nearly a must on the 10D tanks IMO)

otherwise gut the original power compacts out and mount your led unit inside it, easy enough, just got to be careful that it maybe to close to the water and too intense maybe? or heating up and cooking itself if fitted in the old unit.

Edited by Jules, 08 December 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#8 Ashram

Ashram
  • Committee

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

I thought that you could get them without the lights and so on. I think I am incorrect. The Cade Pro reef tanks look awesome as well. Maybe check those out. They have a sump and you can add all the accessories. If I was going to buy new I would have bought a Cade I think.

#9 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

The red sea reefers you can, but the 130s and 130Ds are an all in one unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users