A hole in my fish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dawson83

Dawson83
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:06 PM

Hey

I've just found one of my elecric yellow has a hole in its side. And I mean a hole. Not an open wound or something, but a hole.

The hole is behind one of its side fins, and looks like a disease rather than a wound. The fish itself is fine and still eating, but it's a pretty horrible looking sore. You can just about see it's insides from the outside.

Has anyone experienced this kind of disease with their fish? I've allready had one yellow with the same thing, but I culled him as I thought it may spread.

Cheers

Aaron

#2 peddigree

peddigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:39 PM

I have heard of hole in the head ??

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2003 - 03:11 AM

sry,
I have had very limited experience with disease, but check this out to see if it resembles your problem...

disease diagnosis

hth

Steve

#4 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:32 AM

Check out this link from the Sydney forum - it was heavily discussed a few weeks ago - pics included.
link

electral@bigpond.com

#5 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 10 April 2003 - 02:46 PM

Well if it is a gram -ve bacteria then metronidazole would actually be the right choice ;)

Thanks for the link anita!

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#6 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:21 PM

Is this one of my electric yellows i sold u cause i have nothing like that on mine!!!!

#7 Dawson83

Dawson83
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:58 PM

Hey

Thanks for the link Anita, cause that is the disease allright. Looks horrible. The fish in question is in a different tank so hopefully it won't spread.

And it is possible that it could have been caused by a bit too much protein, as I've been feeding them mosquito larvae and brine shrimp along with vege flakes to try and get a good growth rate.

And don't worry Blake, it wasn't one of your fish!

Cheers

Aaron

#8 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:48 PM

Ok Arron but my name is Scott :rollin

#9 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2003 - 02:50 AM

Hi Aaron,

That Sydney post is certainly interesting. Has your fish got the ulcer on the right side also?
If this is a disease complex that results in ulceration always on the same part of the body, you would have to wonder whether it starts as an internal infection in a particular organ and then ruptures onto the surface at that point.
If that is the case, using Metronidazole would certainly be appropriate, preferably orally.

Brett

#10 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 11 April 2003 - 03:14 AM

Yup, I have a fish thats starting to look like that too... I'm treating with 2 tabs of Flagyl in 100g of washed, strained bloodworms.. over 12 days.. this is the regime the guys at aquotix use for discus..

HTH

Vincent

Visit the:

#11 Dawson83

Dawson83
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:06 PM

Hey

Sorry Scott, I'm horrible with names but great with faces!

And mtchye, does...."I'm treating with 2 tabs of Flagyl in 100g of washed, strained bloodworms"....mean that you're soaking the worms in the medicine and then feeding it to your fish? Is this a better way to treat most fish sickness??

Cheers

Aaron

#12 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:27 PM

Yes well first i crush up the flagyl into powder, then into the bloodworms which have been washed and drained of any excess fluid.. the bloodworms themselves stay fairly moist anyway and hopefully absorb some of the flagyl.. then feed to fish..

I think it makes more sense to feed it rather than treat the water column.. I mean.. are we sure that many of these medications can be absorbed externally by the fish? Oral dosing is what is used in humans so I'd go withthat since the fish are still eating..

Hope that helps Aaron,

Vincent

p.s. how is that sword going?

Visit the:

#13 Dawson83

Dawson83
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2003 - 05:06 PM

mtchye

Swords are going pretty good. Although a few of the leaves have got brown patches that turn into holes. I couldn't find any of those little fertilizer pellets, so I just got some healthy looking mud from down the creek.

Also, how would I get the plant to sprout more leaves rather than just grow it's present ones bigger? I want the plant to look more 'dense'.

Cheers

Aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users