How's Your Tank Temperature/s Lately?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

How's everyone's tank temps been lately with thees consecutive 40deg+ days??

In the house there hasn't been much of a change due to air con. Tanks in the shed hit 30deg (room air temp 40deg) yesterday and I'm expecting them to be a tad higher again today.

I've still got to finish the insulation off....

Daz

#2 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

My tanks in the lounge and office are about 28 deg. whereas the tanks in the fishroom are about 31deg. (I have a fan going in there).

#3 Jaraqui

Jaraqui
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

My tanks have all reached 30 ohmy.gif. Atleast my heaters don't have to run anymore...

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

25C (house aircon, room temp 24-25)
All heaters have been off for a while.

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jan 18 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tanks in the shed hit 30deg (room air temp 40deg) yesterday and I'm expecting them to be a tad higher again today.

Just checked. Tanks have hit 33deg and room temp is 43deg. The tropheus are loving it though! It's the most active I've seen them. Plenty of aeration helps.

#6 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

the hottest tank in the fish shed got to 28.5 today ..radio said it was 43 outside at the time. smile.gif

#7 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

I've relocated most of my tanks to the new fish room, located near a window in permanent shade with cross-ventillation and shaded tiled floors. Being on the ground floor in a 3 story block of units, the room has a good thermal mass and remains at a fairly consistent temperature. My tanks are at 27.5 (discus) and 26 with no mechanical cooling smile.gif

The walls will reradiate the stored heat at night and keep my fish warm at night. If it gets hot I'll run a small fan in the room. My unit is not air conditioned, and we've been fairly comfortable, even today. Kieran 1, Sun 0.

#8 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

My Air con broke on Thursday, it only works in the bedrooms, so it's been going flat out for the past few days. But the tanks are all OK, round 28C, covers off.

#9 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

In the fishroom which has no form of aircon or air movement at the moment all tanks are sitting at about 31 Degrees C, not to bad i guess!

#10 DeRrO

DeRrO
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

Wondering if I should have raised this topic a little while ago...

My 2 tanks have both hit 31-32 degC. They have done this once before thought Heaps better now that I put my shade sails up, dont get as much direct sunlight on the brick pavers so the back room doesnt get as near as hot as quickly as before.

But to be honest the fish seem to handling it OK. They are definatly heaps more active and hungry. Though im assuming you just dont want it for to long a periods...

#11 lojik

lojik
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Temps have been heading up towards 30deg C but whenever I see it getting up there I flick on a pair of computer fans.
One pulls air from the hood, the other blows directly at the water for an evaporative cooling effect.

Seems to work reasonably well. Though reading this thread would suggest that above 30 degree temps aren't that bad? eg fish love it.

#12 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Insulation Works well im my fishroom was 42 outside today fishroom temp gauge said 31.2c. Tanks all sitting on 26-27c smile.gif

Guess i have nothing to complain about .

#13 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Adam how have you insulated your shed what did you use? and is that the roof and walls? Your shed is all galv tin outside isnt it?

#14 Leerja

Leerja
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

Both my tanks hit 30 deg today. The fish in the deeper tank seemed fine but a few in the smaller tank were at the surface and seemed to be staying there for air. Quickly turned off my CO2 (even though pH hadn't moved much), cleaned the internal filter to get more circulation and put a fan blowing across the top. Temp came down a few degrees and all fish seem fine now. I still have the heaters on really low because I find on cooler nights I get large temp fluctautions. One morning the temp was down to 23 deg but recovered in a couple of hours with the light on. Mind you the fish didn't seem too bothered by the cooler temp....

#15 ozjayok

ozjayok
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

i was going to open a thread about this yesterday morning and thought ive done my quota for the year haha

32 with no heater on, openned up a window and took the side tank lid of for a while not that it did much. and no, no dimi comps jumped out

#16 Wez

Wez
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

My tank hit 34 on Monday and i lost all 7 of my adult Neolamprologus sexfasciatus died sad.gif I was quite proud of those guys! I've posted a topic in Technical about chiller advice to prevent further losses. Hopefully i can get some good advice.

#17 duncan

duncan
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

my tank is around 27 degrees, fortunately my bed room is the coolest room in the house!

#18 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

mine have stayed at 28-29, that's what I keep them at anyway so not too fussed about the heat.

I'm more worried about a power outage.

#19 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

I just lost 2 of my best Mpanga F2, due to the heat!!! EKKKKKKK!

#20 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Tanks inside have been fine yesterday and hopefully today. When I checked the tanks in the shed last night they were over 30 at 11pm so I hate to think what they would have been at the temp peak yesterday. That said though i did not lose any fish from those tanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users