April Monthly Meeting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

The topic for the April meeting will be the issue of released Geophagus brasiliensis in Bennett Brook.

The talk will be performed by Jeff Cosgrove of the Swan River Trust and I've asked him to cover points such as:

1. the extent of the feral population

2. what is being done to control and/or eradicate this population

3. what data has been collected that shows the fish are having a negative impact on this aquatic ecosystem

This issue is one that poses a serious threat to our hobby and the PCS has formed a new partership with the Swan River Trust to promote educational material targeted at newcomers to the hobby that may not know the issues regarding release of exotic fish into our waterways. A thread will be made shortly in the announcements forum providing details of this partnership.

Feel free to list your questions here prior so I can ask Jeff to come prepared with answers.

Brett aka Poncho

Meeting is April Tuesday 6th - doors open 7:30pm and meeting starts 8pm

See this page for venue info - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=29670

PCS & Swan River Trust partnership info - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=31686
PCS Fish Rescue service - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=23162

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Its really good to see that the PCS has formed this partnership.
Hopefully it will show the powers above that most fish keepers are responsible and care for our waterways.

It is a shame that this problem causes such a negative impact on all fish keepers because a select few are uneducated or irresponsible.

Andrew

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Considering the "Fisheries" is hell bent on not letting anyone else enter their field, I would like to have the question answered by the Swan River Trust (SRT) on the role of Fisheries in the SRT operations in feral fish eradication.... My opinion is if Fisheries try to take control, then nothing will get done properly..... just like the last attempt, using explosives..... if you ask experts in the field of explosives you will find this is not an ideal way of eradicating all the fish - but it was used - and now the guy that made the decision to use it, and enjoyed the publicity from it, is off doing something else, higher paid.... and now we have to see what the new guy's credentials are... waste of time and tax payers money.....

If the Fisheries has the last say in what gets done, then maybe the PCS has to approach the Fisheries on this subject, with the backing of the SRT..... without the SRT, we would only get flogged off, now we might get them to listen.

#4 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback Oliver. Would be great to see you come along and ask the question in person. In fact, any sponsors I haven't yet caught up with please let me know if you are planning to come along. The working group has discussed measures which implicate aquarium retailers so it would be great to get your input on what you think of these plans.

Attached File  Sponsor_letter_SRT_meeting.pdf   126.27KB   15 downloads

#5 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Poncho @ Mar 31 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the feedback Oliver. Would be great to see you come along and ask the question in person. In fact, any sponsors I haven't yet caught up with please let me know if you are planning to come along. The working group has discussed measures which implicate aquarium retailers so it would be great to get your input on what you think of these plans.

I'll try to make an effort..... Im on holidays, so I should be able to get there on time.... if I remember..... and Im not too drunk..... wacko.gif

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hey all

For those that are not already aware we hold a raffle at each meeting. Other than memberships and auctions this is the only way funds come into the club. Premium Sponsors (and occasionally members) donate goods or vouchers and they are put into the raffle. See here(click) for more info on fund raising.

Here's a taste of some of the items that will be at this meetings raffle. There's generally a heap of smaller items such as food, nets, medication etc donated by our sponsors(click) too.

If time permits I'll create a running appreciation thread that lists some of the more special items donated by various sponsors over time.

Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.

JHW-303B + 9W UV Steriliser 1400 litres per hour 35 watts 3 stage filtration Cannister filter
Fold-up Digital pH Tester
Heto Battery air pump
OTTO PF-2000N ( 2000lph ) internal filter
Jebo 300w heater

There's a Show Table competition that Club Members can enter too for a chance to win a $50 Midland Pet & Aquariums voucher. More info here (click).

Also you don't have to be a Club Member to attend the meetings. Come down, test the water first and put some names to faces!

Daz

#7 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

shouldnt that be put some faces to names?

#8 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Mar 28 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering the "Fisheries" is hell bent on not letting anyone else enter their field, I would like to have the question answered by the Swan River Trust (SRT) on the role of Fisheries in the SRT operations in feral fish eradication.... My opinion is if Fisheries try to take control, then nothing will get done properly..... just like the last attempt, using explosives..... if you ask experts in the field of explosives you will find this is not an ideal way of eradicating all the fish - but it was used - and now the guy that made the decision to use it, and enjoyed the publicity from it, is off doing something else, higher paid.... and now we have to see what the new guy's credentials are... waste of time and tax payers money.....

If the Fisheries has the last say in what gets done, then maybe the PCS has to approach the Fisheries on this subject, with the backing of the SRT..... without the SRT, we would only get flogged off, now we might get them to listen.

the fisheries have washed there hands of the issue saying the damage is done and its to expensive. but im working/studying with dr morgan and dr beatty the two guys now looking into the issue from murdoch uni, they may be there on tuesday.currently it is hoped/evidence suggests that they are only breeding in the golf course and moving down stream.in and area of maybe 200-300m2 200+ geos were caught so there is a massive problem at hand.
if anyone would like anymore info let me know
james

#9 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

A quick reminder that the meeting is tonight (Tues 6th Apr). See first post for venue, times etc.

Anyone wanting to use a loan tank for the show table PM Cawdor ASAP. Else you can bring your own! smile.gif

Daz

#10 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Doors open 7:30pm and meeting starts 8pm. Should be a good night. Plenty of prizes up for grabs too!

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

We had a decent number of people attend which was great to see, somewhere between 25-30. 6 or so where from sponsor stores which is also a plus.

Thanks to Jeff Cosgrove for doing the talk out of his normal working hours.

Brett is trying to get his hands on the powerpoint presentation. In the meantime Club Members can view the video of the night here - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=30830

I'm sure there will be plenty of further discussion about the project, so stay tuned!

Congrats to all that scored the great prizes (listed above). I obviously didn't buy enough raffle tickets..... wink.gif

Daz

#12 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the heater and 3 other items ( I gave my winning tickets to the boys, so not sure what they got)
It was a great night, some very interesting points, like how Fisheries have spent $600000 and have done nothing.. Oh yes they did, they put a brazilensis in a freshwater bucket then put it straight into a saltwater bucket... That has to be worth around $100000 easy..

I'm in the wrong job wink.gif

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

PowerPoint presentation from the night is attached.

For those who want to see the vid go to - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=30830

Next meeting is on Aquaponics. See - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=32408

Daz

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users