Photo

Single Yoyo Loach For Snail Control?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

Any of the loaches should clean up the snails. I to prefer the clown loach for colour, shop around sometimes you can find small ones. I like to get them as small as possible, i got one at about 4cms once, that was about 2yrs ago and now he's only about 6cms.

#22 Monkau

Monkau
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I would suggest chain loaches too.

Ive got 4 chain loaches in my 4ft planted tank, theyve decimated the snail population by eating all the babies. No snail is safe, they will even hound the bigger ones until they die, sticking their noses in the shell non stop.

Lovely active little fish, (and attractive) I plan to get more, they remind me of little dogs the way they hover over their chosen rock and then sit on it propped up on their fins. They love their shrimp pellets and make a little click when other fish come near them.

I think 6 is a good number, 3 of mine hang out together and one tends to be a loner and hangs out with the kuhlis instead. Sometimes they follow other fish of similar colouration (My SAEs get stalked a lot, black neons less so)

I got mine from Aquotix, never had any sick ones from there. I wouldnt get them anywhere else.

#23 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

get one of each and see whatt works, lve had a yoyo with my clowns and he swam in their pack lol laugh.gif

#24 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks to everyone who provided input. Always good to hear how people have gone based on their personal experience. I ended up getting 3 small clown loaches around 4 cm last week. 3 for deal so went for that. They have already wiped out majority of snails. When they get too big I may put them in my 6 footer or just return them...we'll see.

Cheers.

#25 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

biggrin.gif they are pretty slow growing so it be awhile.

#26 tsunamisurfer

tsunamisurfer
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'd also like a Loach for snail control but I have Cherry Shrimps as well....are there any that attack snails but leave (at least the adults) shrimps alone?

#27 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

You might be better off making a new thread for this question. I think you'll get more people viewing your question. I have no idea sorry.

#28 jamiejwise

jamiejwise
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

tsunamisurfer, late response I know lol. But I have a pair of yoyo's and keep around 15-20 rcs in one tank and the loaches never attack them. Occasionally, the shrimps get a face full of tail but the yoyo's dont bother with the shrimp, just eat snails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users