Some Fish I.d Required, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 stokesy

stokesy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

hey all,

just a bit of a problem, i have these fish wich i got from the LFS a few months ago, but im not sure what they are, is there any way that someone can please help me. there will be 3 fish in total.

i have taken some dodgey pics with my camera...... not the best tho.

please let me know what you think they are.

thanks

matt

Attached Files

#2 stokesy

stokesy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

some more pics

Attached Files

#3 stokesy

stokesy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

and the last one

Attached Files

#4 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

First one is a Copadichromis borleyi "Kadango" aka Red Fin.

Second one is a red peacock.

Third one looks like some kind of peacock. Possibly a Maleri or red shoulder?

#5 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

pretty sure the second one is aulonocara baenschi

#6 bradburybats14

bradburybats14
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

Second one is a peacock buddy. Bueatiful fish pal!!

#7 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

I don't think so. Baenschi peacocks have less blue in the head and turn yellow at full colouration not red. Definitely looks like a red peacock to me. Some would probably call it a german red.

#8 stokesy

stokesy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

hey salpon, thanks heaps, ill try and upload more of the first one, i dont think it is a kadanga, its head is grey, tinge of blue in it, and its body is pale orange...... when it was fry, had orange tail and fins, grey body smile.gif

thanks guys. does any one dissagree with salpon

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

The second isn't a red peacock a had a few reds not long ago and that looks dif. I think it's a cross between red and baenschi maybe.

#10 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

Identification from photo's is always difficult, the poor quality phots make it harder.

I would say the first is Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango). The discription you gave of the Juvi also fits.
The second Aulonocara baenschi "Benga"
The third is some type of Aluonocara peacock, however I have no idea if it is a specific locality or a cross..

Tony

#11 ewoliver

ewoliver
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

to be honest i think the first one is a male kadango red. i have some juvies of them at the moment and they have gray bodies with orange fins hope this helps

#12 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

The debate over the ID of that second fish has gotten me really curious. After some research I'm fairly sure it is an A. stuartgranti "Chipoka". They are very closely related to the "Yellow Regal" and can be anything from yellow to reddish orange. Red peacocks have been line bred from this species by selecting the most red individuals to breed. A. baenschi typically don't look orange and have a very curved forehead and usually no blue in the top part of the head.

Here's a link to what I think it could be >> http://www.cichlid-f...s/a_chipoka.php

Thoughts?

#13 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

my thoughts are
1st pic is of male c. borleyi kadango ...looks alot like my males
2nd pic is of male aulonocara baenschi (benga peacock) ...also looks alot like my mature males
3rd pic is some other sort of peacock almost looks like a cross of the two tongue.gif

#14 stokesy

stokesy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

salpon, yeah i had a look at the link, it does resemble that alot, but a fair bit more orange.
it does have the blue head, and same shape aswell.....

does any one know what the fry of these are woth? are they like a norm peacock? i have about 75 of them in a grow out tank...

it seems that the third fish is what no one knows...... thanks heaps to all involved!

#15 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Stokesy, if you weren't sure of the ID of these fish then there's no way you could have chosen appropriate female partners for them to breed with, which means the fry most likely aren't pure. Unless you bought them as unknown pairs and keep them in separate tanks?

Even pure peacocks aren't worth much unfortunately due to how easy they are to breed. Unless you have a rare peacock of course.

I'm still completely unconvinced that the second fish is a A. baenschi anyway. I truly don't understand why so many people think it is. Unless they have incorrectly ID'd their own fish perhaps. http://www.cichlid-f.../a_baenschi.php << That is what a baenschi looks like. Tell me you think they look the same.

Time may tell with that third fish of yours.

smile.gif
Matt

#16 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (stokesy @ Oct 3 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
does any one know what the fry of these are woth? are they like a norm peacock? i have about 75 of them in a grow out tank...

Hard to sell unless you have a positive ID on the male and female and that is nearly impossible. Free food?

QUOTE (Salpon @ Oct 3 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still completely unconvinced that the second fish is a A. baenschi anyway. I truly don't understand why so many people think it is. Unless they have incorrectly ID'd their own fish perhaps. http://www.cichlid-f.../a_baenschi.php << That is what a baenschi looks like. Tell me you think they look the same.

Salpon do you have a baenschi? it looks an awful lot like mine...... I would I.D it as that as well!

#17 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

No I don't own one. I thought I did but realised after a few months that it is actually a yellow regal not a 'new' yellow regal/aka benga (which look virtually the same except for the curved forehead that bengas have).

But none of the photos I have seen on the internet look anything like that second fish. It's bizarre that I can't see the similarity but everyone else can. Is it really that normal for a benga to be orangey red? Perhaps in Perth they look different than American specimens???

Matt.

EDIT: Maybe we just need better photos.

#18 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

http://www.perthcich...?showtopic=5627

This article I just read supports exactly what I have been saying. Not a Benga!

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users