Photo

Kim & Naomi :-)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello everyone and thank you for having us. My intention is to become a paid member and try to attend meetings & auctions in the near future. I have a great deal of respect for the people, procedures, practices, processes and experience of those in here and hope to become a valuable member of this community over time. My cichlid keeping journey began with a visit to Kleinz house (hope mentioning u is ok) for a light for my mixed tropical tank, just over a year ago. I was fortunate to see his fish room and have to say I fell in love. From there it has been a crazy year of every weekend spent purchasing tanks, fish and everything else needed to create the wonderful fish room we have and are so proud of. It's been a very steep learning curve with many many hours spent researching (books, google, forums, talking to keepers & breeders) and seeking advice from several key highly experienced people (of whom a few are here and of who's help I'm always grateful) To date we have collected 70 tanks and a vast array of both African and American species and the majority of our time is spent working in the fish room. My husband is as enthusiastic about it all as me and handles all the technical side of things as well as heavy lifting etc. I couldn't do it without him. We very much enjoy our lengthy conversations about our fish and planning and implementing changes or additions. I thoroughly enjoy the breeding of these beautiful creatures and am always fascinated by the high level of parental care they show. I was amazed to learn of the culture and behavioural interaction of fish, that they don't just swim around aimlessly but have structure, hierarchy and bonds that govern their life the same as all living things. It makes the hobby so rewarding to see them happy and healthy and doing what comes naturally and I believe that's somewhat a testament to success in the pedantic pursuit of "getting it right" that I fervently maintain. I appreciate all advice and constructive criticism and know my journey is still just beginning. I'm so glad to be a part of the "cichlid loving people of the world", it's such a highly satisfying hobby, although the occasional loss does bring about a feeling akin to losing my favourite sheepdog, I'm learning to deal with that without meltdowns (to badly anyway lol). I have met so many totally awesome people throughout this journey so far, thank you to all. Sorry for the essay, once again thank you for having us, I look forward to meeting more great people, learning as much as I can and continuing this fantastic experience. Naomi :-)

Edited by TheFishLady, 28 July 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#2 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the mention :P haha kidding !

Glad to finally see you guys on here :)

#3 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

Welcome Naomi I am sure you will fit in and welcome to PCS :nopics:

• Fox likes this

#4 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

You were mentioned Matt, I did say great people didn't i :-) 

Thank you dicky7 :-)

Naomi :-)

Edited by TheFishLady, 27 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#5 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Haha aw thank you :)

Edited by Mattymak, 27 July 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#6 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hah! I did wonder what happened with you two...Glad to see that I helped set the hook deep :)

You probably keep way more than I do now. I should come visit your fish room this time.

#7 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Once you have the fish bug, there's no turning back.
Hahaha

#8 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hi Kleinz :-) great to see u, u definitely started something big for us. I'd LOVE for you to come and look around. I will PM you my number :-) anytime you're free please do. I remember you looking me directly in the eye and pronouncing cichlid making sure I got it right (I think I said chichlid lol) I always get a bit of a (can relate to it) giggle when people use numerous pronunciation variations haha
Thank you so much for introducing us to this AWESOME life changing hobby xx

Naomi :-)

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hey guys, Great to see you on the forum.

Hope those little livingstoni are doing well, would love to grab some fry of your list (FB) when I free up some space ;)

#10 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Wow...70 tanks is bigger than most fish shops! And all that in one year - Thats more than one new fish tank a week....and I thought I was delirious ;)

#11 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

I've seen their set up & it's awesome :) so many different fish breeding!

#12 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Sounds awesome! Welcome to PCS.

What fish do you have breeding?

#13 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Those gorgeous little guys are doing fantastic Aaron, thanks so much - I love em! You are definitely most welcome to come and get fish anytime :-) There's 4 more racks since u were last here Matt lol Haha deliriouz, we've at times bought home 10+ on weekends....... and then Kim disappears to the shed knocking up stands while I scrub glass till my fingers bleed. We draw on the floor with chalk using the good ole tape measure and figure out the rack map / plan then get one end each of everything until it's all in. He goes about doing all the power, filtration, heating etc while I set up homes inside and one by one each new tank becomes somewhere to move the fish who've either grown out of the space they're in, don't get along where they are, at the point where they need to grow out without mum & dad, just been purchased etc. I have been known to say fish keeping is a lot like hard work on occasion lol Redevils, my current fish list :-) Cichlids: Blue dolphins - FRY Electric yellows - RTG Rusty's - FRY Red Jewels - RTG Convicts & White convicts (2 pair ea) Tiger Oscar & Albino Oscar (2 pair) Venustus - RTG Blue Cobalt (display) Lombardi - FRY Electric Blues - RTG Dragonblood Peacocks - FRY Red Rubin - FRY Blue Otters -FRY Red Empress (colony) Borleyi - RTG White Knights - FRY Marble Peacock - RTG Blue Regal Peacock (colony) Kingsizei (display) Zebra Obliquiden - RTG mphanga (display) Trewevasae (display) Hongi - FRY Maingano (colony) Blue Eyed - RTG Afra cobue (young grow outs) Super Green Texas (pair) Blueberry Peacock - RTG Red Devils RTG marleriei (young grow outs) bicolour - FRY Sulfur Crested Lithobates - FRY 7 bar f1 frontosa - kigoma (grow out) brichardi - FRY Jack Dempsey - FRY Red dragon Flowerhorn (pair) King pearl flowerhorn (pair) Salvini (young grow outs) Red terrors (pair) Green terrors - FRY Polleni (2 pair) Freddies (pair) Nikali (young grow outs) Polystigma (m&f few fry) Electric blue acara (young grow outs) Severums (pair) Firemouths - FRY Burtoni (colony) Taiwan Reef - RTG Red chimba Tropheus (colony) Rainbows - FRY Malawi shell dwellers Gold Compressiceps (pair) Bristlenose & albino Bristlenose Featherfin catfish Others: goldfish cherry barbs Apple Snails Angelfish Corydoras Gourami Bala sharks Danios ghostknives Pakistani loaches RTG means "ready to go" FRY means "too small to go" Sorry I didn't put everyone's scientific name in - I would have to type in here for hours!! I have care cards that show the different needs & names of each type of fish on the tanks :-)4e7a3ezu.jpg

Edited by TheFishLady, 28 July 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#14 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

netypu5u.jpg
One of the new racks Matt :-)
u6y6utys.jpg
How our 8 yr old sees us lol

#15 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Awesome Naomi!

I might pop over this arvo?

#16 TheFishLady

TheFishLady
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Sure :-)

#17 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

No worries :) cya this arvo

#18 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

This is one of the nicest things I've read :) Welcome and would love to see pics!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users