Photo

Growth Rate

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fishrock

Fishrock
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

just wondering if anyone knows, if a fish, say an american, which has had its growth rate stunted because the tank is too small or overcrowded or because its submissive, then it gets the opportunity to be in a big tank alone, can the growth rate pick up again? what i mean is can its growth rate pick up again and the fish get to the same maximum size that it would have had it been in an ideal environment in the first place or will it always be behind the 8 ball in terms of reaching maximum size because its been stunted? cheers

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

This depends on how long it's been stunted and mood suppressed.
It can be so damaged that only another 10-20% growth is possible over a long period.

But usually it's not that bad.
The stunting may linger and take a while to get momentum again and get back on track.
Most people think its the space that is the problem, but it's the small space that creates the rapid nitrate accumulation and competition for food and territory that's finally effects the fish.

A fine example for fast understanding.
Im not lying.
I have raised 28 venustus up to 13cm + in a 30cm cube.
This cube, which is one of 190 that has 38000 liters passing through it via the sump.
The water is always low nitrate level.
No food competition as I fed to perfection.
No aggression because they were in each others face.
This happened when I learnt about market flooding lol.

There is no way anyone could do this in a 30cm cube connected to a canister filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users