Photo

Newbie - Questions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Hi - Just joined this forum to hopefully find some answers.

I have been keeping Cichlids for a little over a year now and it appears that I am doing something right and my Yellow Labs have decided to have a go at breeding.  I saw Mr Lab digging and creating a nice clear area of glass floor and then a few days later Mrs Lab was very obviously carrying.

I have removed Mrs Lab and put her in my hospital tank but over the week that she has been in there it appears she may have eaten/swallowed her offspring as her buccal pouch is no longer bulging.  My question is - should I leave her in there on the off chance that she may still be holding a couple of eggs - if so how long for (it has been just over a week since she started carrying)? And, is there going to be any issues with re-introducing her to the main tank when it is time?

Any help or advice is gratefully accepted - THANKS in advance.

Edited to add:  She is not eating - I have offered her food each day but she is still not taking any - is this a sign that she may still be holding something ?

Edited by Emikat, 12 March 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Probably. She may have picked up a heap of gravel or sand when spawning and over time spat that bit out and made her mouthful look smaller.

Sounds like you're doing everything right but if you want to let the mother spit the fry naturally perhaps put some fine leaves fake plants or something to let her spit in and protect the fry should she want to eat them afterwards

#3 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

Thank you for your reassurance :)

I will pop some plants in there for her - she has a rock cave to hide in but I can pop plants in also.

Roughly what sort of time frame am I looking for until she spits her fry?  Just so I have an idea of whether to continue holding hope or when to give up and put her back in the main tank?

#4 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

2-3 weeks from spawning in my experience

#5 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Thanks again.  I guess now it is just a waiting game... I am not good at waiting :blush:

It is a little bit exciting as I never ever even gave a thought to the possibility of any of my fishies breeding!!

#6 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Three weeks on and yesterday she was demanding food - offered her some and she greedily gobbled it.  No sign of any fry in her hospital tank so I guess she swallowed them at some point. 

Will keep her in there another couple of days, feed her up and get her strength up before putting her back in the main aquarium.

Better luck next time - if there is a next time :)

Thanks for the advice and assistance - and I wont hesitate to ask again if I have any more questions - this forum seems like a good local knowledge base :D

#7 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Put Mrs Lab back into the main tank today after a quick clean and water change...

Mr Lab got pretty excited immediately!! 

Do these fish usually procreate prolifically?

The dynamics of my aquarium have now changed significantly with Mr Lab acting very dominant/aggressive to the other co-habitators (2 x Pseudotropheus Crabro, 1x Aulonocara Rubin Red) and shimmying/dancing all over the place :o

Amusing, but probably not for the other fishes and Mrs Lab :wacko:

Hoping he will settle soon and that this is just a "Happy to see you home wifey" moment :blink:

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

After females have held it can be a good idea to keep them seperate from the males to chill out, fatten up a bit and generally get back to good condition.

#9 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

After females have held it can be a good idea to keep them seperate from the males to chill out, fatten up a bit and generally get back to good condition.

She has been away from the main tank for a bit over three weeks (after two weeks it looked like she had swallowed/eaten anything she was holding) and eating well in her hospital tank for a week now so thought it was ok to put her back in. 

#10 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Mr & Mrs and their tank-mates - congregating in the feeding corner because I am standing near the tank... Always Hungry... :Rofl_3f: D8C3605E-CE8F-415D-B89E-F73F645D2DCE_zps

033EA27E-DC1D-4254-86E7-61DE54FA25F3_zps

#11 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

Nice looking yellows

#12 Emikat

Emikat
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Since the last post here - Mr & Mrs Bumblebee have identified themselves as a couple :wub:  and had a go at spawning too... albeit an unsuccessful first attempt...

This is OK - we all live and learn ;)

Now, Mr & Mrs Lab are on their second attempt :wub:  and this time she seems to be holding well - for a week and a half now :D

Not holding my breath for successful offspring but thoroughly enjoying the process B)

2571e38d39a7dc4ad9e35baff0463c8d_zpsfsa3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users