Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

No ways malawiman ;)

#42 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

Archers. Hmmm. Dont archers grow to the same size and you need like 3? Sounds like a cool mix. Any suitable 15ish cm fish? Crescent Perch / Target fish / target perch??? I like the look of the barred grunters and that type.

#43 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Archers get to about the same size as your coal grunter... big but not huge and not as solid as the grunter.

Talk to the guys at Rob's about target fish they are mean MoFo's.

#44 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

thats my info on target fish. I consider myself a newbie/rookie but im going to stick my neck out. For the biotype your aiming for i would have kept the barra     and learned to like salmon tails { very robust dither fish,not aggressive unless it fits in their mouth} thrown 2 or 3 young ones in,totally change the dynamics in the tank and then continued my search for whatever. Would draw the line at theft,bodily harm or murder for the N.Ater But would consider walking over hot coals or broken glass for them. Have 2 of them and 6 tandanus spread around different tanks  and the aters are much cooler.Scats will smash most plants but can be so cool, have heard they can be aggressive but i had 1 almost big enough to eat, no aggro to the younger ones i introduced and hand fed by my grandkids, as gentle as a lamb

#45 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

Totally agree about the barra and salmontails.

Edit:and N. ater.

Edited by malawiman85, 05 August 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#46 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Im not to excited with the biotope part of the scape as it doesn't look too realistic, but I like plants. And plants killers. Reckon the plants would be ok tied to roxks with the tandanus? Only problem i see is him digging them up. Salmontails get bigger then tandanus dont they? I would love a Neosilurus, not many around as said. The tank is more accurate on the cape of carpentaria fish wise isnt it?

#47 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:26 PM

please keep in mind my self confessed rookie status,  the tandanus isnt after your plants ,he/she is after snails,worms and any other left over food in the gravel, i have had some success tying plants to small squares of eggcrate type stuff pushing it into the substrate and putting heavier pebbles stones over that to anchor down

#48 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Yeah thats what I've thought all along but a few people have said theyll eat the plants aswell. Im a rookie aswell, only started to get fully in about 6 months ago

#49 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

i think the salmon tails and tandanus can grow to similar lengths but the salmontails grow so much fasterrrrr. I have some juvies of both purchased feb i think, no comparison in growth rates

#50 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Edited by Leichardti, 08 August 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#51 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Ohhh you've got me wanting a 4ft tank for the tandanus' and coal grunter. Getting really inspired by this: https://www.youtube....h?v=qFdUGV1pCRM and this: https://www.youtube....h?v=KqW6fXPUeKo and thinking about no longer having a planted. What do yas reckon?

• ice likes this

#52 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

Great vids mate,really enjoyed them,  would be one hell of a task creating that

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aussie, Australian, native, oddball, predators, tank busters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users