Photo

Fertiliser

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 akamin

akamin
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there has made their own fertiliser, if so, what ingredients did you use, where did you get them and the doses used. I have found a few websites but just trying to do more research. Thanks!

#2 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

there are two main stream methods, namely the poor mans dosing drops (PMDD) and estimative index (EI) method.

PMDD method general idea is to supply the macro and micro nutrients except posphate based on the assumption that limiting phosphate limits algae growth.

EI method general idea is to prove all the nutrients in abundance and do a reset by changing 50% water everyweek.

dosing for either 2 methods can be found by googling but as each setup is different you have to play around with the dosing until you find one that fits your setup

Personally, I get my micronutrients which is a chelated fert mix and potassium nitrate from aquotix. Magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) is obtained from the pharmacy. Macronutrients are potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, magnesium, sulphate and calcium. If you see some of the recipes they use potash which is potassium sulphate but since i can get potassium from potassium nitrate and sulphate from magnesium sulphate I did not use it (another reason is that I'm lazy to go find a source of pure potash, they have it in bunnings but its not pure. I keep shrimps so I dont want to risk it since i dont know whats in it). for phosphorus, its from phosphate and I use seachem phosphate but I dose that sparingly as I follow the PMDD way. as for calcium I dont dose for it.

#3 akamin

akamin
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

Thanks scarab, time to get the products!

#4 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

i use the PMDD method...

this is my recipe:
15g Chelated Trace Element Mix
25g K2SO4 (potassium sulfate)
15g KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
55g MgSO4.7H2O (epsom salts)
10g Fe (chelated iron)
500mL filtered or distilled water

heat the water in a saucepan, then dissolve the dry ingredients...
allow to cool, then pour into a bottle and keep in the fridge

i use about 15ml per day in my 600L hi-tech tank.
do not use this much if you don't have co2 or hi-lights (above 3w/g)

#5 akamin

akamin
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Jezza, would you be able to tell me where you purchased the ingredients?

#6 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

You can get the Trace and KNO3 from Aquotix. For others, try Dave @ www.aquagreen.com.au smile.gif

#7 akamin

akamin
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Awesome, thanks Craig!

#8 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (akamin @ Jul 13 2011, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Jezza, would you be able to tell me where you purchased the ingredients?

15g Chelated Trace Element Mix - Aquotix (comes from dave @ aquagreen)
25g K2SO4 (potassium sulfate) - bunnings or nursery (its also called sulfur of potash)
15g KNO3 (potassium nitrate) - aquotix
55g MgSO4.7H2O (epsom salts) - bunnings or nursery or coles
10g Fe (chelated iron) - bunnings or nursery

Edited by Jezza, 13 July 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#9 akamin

akamin
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

You guys are awesome, appreciate the help, time to make my own ferts!

#10 Niz

Niz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Awesome info thanks much guys.

This thread should be a sticky.

#11 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

+1 for the sticky..

.. Just a question would It be shrimp safe?

#12 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yes. It's shrimp safe

#13 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Jezza @ Jul 13 2011, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
15g Chelated Trace Element Mix - Aquotix (comes from dave @ aquagreen)
25g K2SO4 (potassium sulfate) - bunnings or nursery (its also called sulfur of potash)
15g KNO3 (potassium nitrate) - aquotix
55g MgSO4.7H2O (epsom salts) - bunnings or nursery or coles
10g Fe (chelated iron) - bunnings or nursery

Im also just bringing out a Fe liquid - based on $eachem's flourish Iron ... it is Ferrous Gluconate in a stable liquid form... stronger than $eachem's mix, and I am thinking about making it stronger again if the preservative holds out.... Ill provide more details soon about it - it is on the shelf now for $9.95 for 250ml...... if you fond flourish Iron cheaper on the net or in store, let me know... ill beat it....

I can also do all of the above chemicals in any volume by request - just give me a day or so to jar it up for you.... and it is tested - shrimp safe....

Cheers

Edited by Mr_docfish, 13 July 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#14 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Just to add a little extra. For those who wants to add calcium, you can use either calcium sulphate or calcium chloride. Calcium sulphate can be obtained from home brew shops such as brewcraft. It is also known as water hardener but has low solubilty. Calcium chloride can be obtained from pool shops but please check how pure it is before u use. Calcium chloride has higher solubility

#15 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

The sulphate of Calcium is more favourable to plants - (the chloride will linger in solution, so will SO4, but SO4 has little or no effect on plants)..... hence the GH booster I supplied Waruna for his 1000litre plated tank Clicky (another product I am bringing out shortly for those that need to add Ca to their planted tanks) wink.gif

Edited by Mr_docfish, 13 July 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#16 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

stronger than $eachem's mix, and I am thinking about making it stronger again if the preservative holds out

Hi Oliver, i'd be very interested in a stronger Fe mix, and a mono basic potassium phosphate mix would be awesome smile.gif Got a question for ya, is it possible to get dry Fe? And can it be added direct to the tank?

#17 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (waruna @ Jul 15 2011, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Oliver, i'd be very interested in a stronger Fe mix, and a mono basic potassium phosphate mix would be awesome smile.gif Got a question for ya, is it possible to get dry Fe? And can it be added direct to the tank?

My intention is to produce a stronger Fe mix eventually - just need to get a longer term test done (12 months) to see how it performs - the gluconate part of the Ferrous Iron is prone to being consumed by bacteria... so I have to see how the preservatives I use goes over time.

The dry powder is very hard to handle - it is soooo fine, it gets up your nose (and being mildly asthmatic myself) might cause irritations.... so I would not recommend using it directly - and it will go off easily if too much moisture gets into it. But if anyone wants to try - I have a fair few kilos of it if you want to muck around for yourself....

ill try to get a good quantity of K based PO4 (the more I buy, the cheaper it gets) and see how the price goes when I get my next pallet of bulk chemicals.... Ill let you know when I get it in....

Cheers
Oliver

#18 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Jul 15 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ill try to get a good quantity of K based PO4 (the more I buy, the cheaper it gets) and see how the price goes when I get my next pallet of bulk chemicals.... Ill let you know when I get it in....

are you adding phosphates to you tank oli? i still don't add any to mine...

also, have you tried using NH4NO3? i assume it would be kinda potent...

Edited by Jezza, 16 July 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#19 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

I dont add PO4 - it seems to jump up in my tank on its own atm.... due to the fact I had a large catfish in there (babysitting) that ate plenty of massivoure pellets and the phosphates are still coming out into solution....

I didi use Ammonium Nitrate in the past - the only side effect was the left over H+ ions - it dropped the pH to a point where I was adding Potassium Hydroxide to combat it.... now I just use KNO3 - easier and immediately measurable.... though, yeah, the growth rates on Ammonium nitrate was better.... oh, and I had to add a UV unit to assist in preventing a green water bloom - another side effect of the ammonium...

#20 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Thanks Oliver smile.gif

I have a few concerns, i need some advice from peeps here.. I'm in the process of tweaking my ferts regime... Trace and Fe is sorted.. I need to add Ca and Mg separately, the formula i have now has K.. I've realized i have too much K and this could affect the Ca intake, correct?

The amount of K i get from KNO3 plus KH2PO4 should be enough, if i need more i could always use the Flourish Potassium i already have..

For Ca supplement i'm thinking of using Kent Marine Turbo Calcium, it's highly concentrated Calcium chloride, any thoughts on this? Or Oliver can make a mix of CaSO4?

For Mg i'll be using Magnesium Sulphate " MgSO4"
For P04 im thinking Monopotassium Phosphate "KH2PO4"

So the days that i feed Macros: KNO3, KH2PO4 and Flourish Potassium if needed
Micros: Trace + Fe, and CaCl2 + MgSO4 as needed.

Comments/advice welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users