Aqua Green Products And The Ei

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (kassysimon @ Jan 21 2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have an empty fire extinguisher. Do you know if that can that be used as a CO2 cannister?

NO its very very dangerous!

#22 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hahahaah you really are trying to go the lowest possible route with this tank. After all the threads started about this tank im sorry but I feel sorry for any fauna or flora that eventually lives in it and maybe you should go down another track. A 2.3kg bottle will set you back $200, you will also need a needle valve, bubble counter, non return valve and a solenoid if wanting to shut it off at night

#23 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

The fire extinguisher can be used however you will struggle to find anyone who will fill it, you may also have trouble getting the right tap for the top. For a tank your size you may want to look into renting a 6.8kg co2 bottle from BOC gas, it might work out cheaper than filling a smaller bottle more often.

#24 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Docfish....thank you.

" if you have strong lighting, and you add heaps of ferts (intensive or hi tech plant growing) then you will need to add CO2 to balance out all the requirements the plants need"

I have algae at the moment and its not too bad but i want to stamp it out before it gets worst. I see now what is causing my algae growth from what you have written since i dont have CO2 and i am fertilising AND i have intense light for 10 hours a day.

I will now stop fertilising and maintain my lighting regime and observe the algae.

one qusetion though...

"if the O2 levels are high for long term, any algae will eventually succumb to it"

if i add O2 will the algae eventually die off?

I have brown hair algae, the green spotted algae that grows on the glass which is hard to remove and a little blue green algae.

Thanks docfish.....all this does help.

There is so much info on the net that it gets confusing.

I have just bought a regulator and valve from Dave Wilson, in addition to Dino Pee and Dino Spit but i will wait until i get CO2 before i use them.

any more tips....?

Oliver, i want to come down and see you ASAP but i dont drive and i live near Butler so its a long way. Once im mobile ill get in contact with you.

Can i use only Dino Spit and Dino Pee as a fertilising regime and then top up any nutrients that are deficient as the plants display the deficiencies?

Edited by kassysimon, 22 January 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#25 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Hypanheaven @ Jan 22 2012, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahaah you really are trying to go the lowest possible route with this tank. After all the threads started about this tank im sorry but I feel sorry for any fauna or flora that eventually lives in it and maybe you should go down another track. A 2.3kg bottle will set you back $200, you will also need a needle valve, bubble counter, non return valve and a solenoid if wanting to shut it off at night

My fauna and flora will be just fine thank you....im weighing up all my options. I have been keeping tanks for over 25 years and this is my first planted tank, being built into a purpose built recess into a new house that i am currently building so i am sorry if i come across as a tight ass but i am trying not to burn the candles at both ends. A tank this size requires alot of money to maintain and start and who can be blamed for trying to save some dollars where it can be saved.

#26 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Adding O2 is done with Peroxide (We sell 50% solution for this purpose) this is the only way of controlling the right dose of O2 in one hit.

"I have brown hair algae, the green spotted algae that grows on the glass which is hard to remove and a little blue green algae."

The brown algae will disappear soon, and the green spot algae will go if the levels of PO4 and NO3 are above 0.
Blue green algae will also go if the ratio of NO3 : PO4 is roughly 20:1.... if it sticks around and you hate the look of it - peroxide will help.

If you have strong lighting, turn one or two tubes off and run for 8 hours, this will reduce the total light output, and duration, therefore negating the need for CO2... but still add ferts, the plants still need them - just dont let your NO3 or PO4 get too high in this situation.

"Can i use only Dino Spit and Dino Pee as a fertilising regime and then top up any nutrients that are deficient as the plants display the deficiencies?"

yes you can - there wont be many deficiencies with the dino pee if you follow the dose rate and keep your light moderate.

Edited by Mr_docfish, 22 January 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#27 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Hypanheaven @ Jan 21 2012, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, this is what is in Dino pee
It contains :

Nitrogen
Potassium
Magnesium
Iron
Molybdenum
Manganese
Boron
Zink
Copper

So it contains alot of traces including iron.

Although the levels of each material is not stated we should be able to work out what we are missing from what the plants tell us.

Dinopee lacks:

Calcium (Ca) part of GH
Carbonates (CO3) aka KH

Depending on your tap water you may not need to add these. (test them first)
You cant really add calcium or KH to a supplement like Dinopee due to the fact that the compounds are located quite high on the reactivity series.
And might Precipitate out.

Luckily these are fairly easy to add:

Calcium can be added with a supplement such as AquaREALm plant GH buffer:
Which contains the correct ratio of Calcium:Magnesium and contains a little bit of K2SO4.
Usually in a ratio 3:1 or 4:1.

Or you could just get hold of a soluble compound of calcium. Possibly: CaS04 or CaCl2
Ollie can help you out with all of these.

"The CO2 will assist plant growth, if there is not enough CO2 available, then the plants will use the bicarbonates in the tank"

You can get A carbonate supplement from Ollie's store too, k2C03 aka Potassium carbonate.
Better than Sodium carbonate for planted tanks, because plants will more readily use the potassium than the sodium.
Although a tiny amounts of sodium is need by plants. (Unreadable level).

#28 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

i have a DIY substrate, and my calcium and cabonates come from that. in the substrate is a layer of crushed coral from the beach, and the majority of the substrate is river sand (gin gin qartz)

#29 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Where did you collect the crushed coral from? Is it easy to find?

#30 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Have a look here for a tank run totally on aquagreen products

http://www.aquariuml...?highlight=tuna

Graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users