Photo

H2o2...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Im just about to attack my algae with H2O2....

Do you recommend leaving it in over night or doing a water change an hour or so afterwards?

Differing opinions with what ive read on other sites.

thanks.

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

I bought some yesterday so let me know how it goes.

Give Ollie a call at Aquotix or send him a pm (Mr_docfish)

#3 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

so far its working....

lovely bubbles all over my driftwood....

this seems much more effective than Dino Pee i must say!

#4 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Are you applying it with a pipette or diluting in water and then just chucking it in your tank?

#5 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Im applying it with a syringe....

http://www.gpodio.com/h2o2.asp

Check out this link.

This seems to be the way to go.

I was uncertain at first but after reading up on it and that so many people have had great success im giving it a shot.

My plants arent too badly affected by BBA but BBA cant be seen very well on driftwood and this is what i attacked first....and oh did it bubble....!

Looks like we have a clear winner here....but as the links reads, this is a fix to kill off algae and not control it....first the cause must be remedied then the algae killed off so it dosnt return. For me,,,too high PO4.

Job done!

Will keep you up to date but with a 1000l tank i will need a few bottles to complete my assault. and i few days of R and R for my inhabitants. But the signs are good

#6 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

What's the effect on the fish? They seem bothered at all?

Does it harm the plants as well?

#7 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

So far the fish are fine and from what ive read they arent bothered by it. Some plants will suffer but its better than replanting a whole tank.

#8 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

True that smile.gif

Thanks mate

#9 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

no worries.

I will be getting a few more bottles tomorrow as the chemist a visited only has them in 100mm bottles.

#10 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I got mine from Aquotix. 500ml $25 less PCS discount smile.gif

#11 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Be careful with dose rates - the Chemist stuff is either 3 or 6%... Aquotix sells 50%... so check the concentration before you dose - follow the directions on the bottle from Aquotix, dose rates on the internet are often regarding the chemist diluted stuff....

#12 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

ditto....im dosing 3%

#13 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

So I just picked up some more H202 but this time it's 6% rather than the 3% I bought yesterday.
It sounds logical to halve the dose but I just want to make sure.

What do you think?

#14 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

The problem with the 50% is that while potent , unless you dilute it a fair bit you will only have enough to treat a very small area without exceeding the max dose for water volume.

Having tried flourish excel at rather high doses and peroxide at high levels too, I've concluded that they are both a waste of time and money unless your outbreak is pretty small.

I now intend to work on removing or adding or removing various elements in search of a better solution. If it's just a matter or removing phosphates, then the BBA should die off of it's own accord once that's done, surely? That would obviate the
need for Peroxide or excel altogether.

I think it's interesting that I have a few tanks with very similar conditions, but only one has BBA. Substrates, rocks and light colour would be the main differences. I might play with that awhile too.

Edited by Kleinz, 08 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#15 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have been dosing my tank with the 50% hydrogen peroxide from aquotix for the last few weeks, Ive been dosing every second day "neat" ( undiluted ) with a pipette. Just follow the dose rate that aquotix have kindly printed onto the bottle.
My tank was absolutely ridden with BBA when I started and now it is nearly all gone. Just turn off your filter to stop water movement for 5min or so after application.
Ive also been dosing with API C02 booster on the days that I do not dose with peroxide. And the best part is the fish all seem fine, no deaths at all. Even the shrimp are fine.
I can post pics of before I started to now when I get some spare time.

#16 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'd be interested in the dose rate.

#17 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

3ml per 100Litres of the 50% solution

#18 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

using twice that does bugger all for me. sad.gif

#19 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Kleinz @ May 8 2012, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with the 50% is that while potent , unless you dilute it a fair bit you will only have enough to treat a very small area without exceeding the max dose for water volume.

Having tried flourish excel at rather high doses and peroxide at high levels too, I've concluded that they are both a waste of time and money unless your outbreak is pretty small.

I now intend to work on removing or adding or removing various elements in search of a better solution. If it's just a matter or removing phosphates, then the BBA should die off of it's own accord once that's done, surely? That would obviate the
need for Peroxide or excel altogether.

My tank is basically a 4 x 2 and the universal rock background was almost completely covered, aswell as most of the plants and wood and rocks. You need to treat it undiluted and concentrate on a small area each time. You cannot expect to treat an entire 300L tank with 9ml of peroxide in my situation. Just make sre you have no water movement for a while after youve treated. I have tried diluting in a jar to treat but the results are slow so I took the plunge and dosed it neat.
You will see the BBA bubble and fizz up, and at this point my cherry shrimp would move in for a feed on the dying algea. The next day the spot treated will have turned red and its time to move onto the next spot. Like I said, I dose every second day but the other days i am treating with API C02 booster ( also with a syringe or pipette ) undiluted.
When my initial outbreak was at its most severe I took in a water sample and my phosphates were @ 1ppm so not over the top. At that point I came home with some pondcare Phos-out which was working to remove phosphates but is probably better suited to preventing BBA. With the Phos-out I noticed no change in the BBA.

#20 Aquotix Aquariums

Aquotix Aquariums
  • Sponsor

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Kleinz @ May 11 2012, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
using twice that does bugger all for me. sad.gif

H2O2 solutions will loose the O2 content over time.... just increase the dose by 1ml each time to find what works for you....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users