Planted Tropheus Tank (with Co2)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Finally the timing is right to add some Ts. in to my planted tank smile.gif I've rearranged as much as i can so it's easy to maintain, and to minimize stress to the Ts. I've decided to inject Co2 at half the normal rate and slowly increase with time. I am adding them in the morning when there is no Co2 present/added in to the tank. Previously i have added cardinals during the day when Co2 is at full strength and noticed quite a bit of discomfort. I have Metro on hand and i am thinking of treating them as a precaution. I have medicated with Clout previously but not with Metro, so i am hoping it'll be as good. I have had two colonies of Ts in the past ( Ilangi's and Moliro's) and never lost a single Ts. for bloat, but i treated with Clout as soon as they were placed in my tank as a precaution.

If you've missed the journal to my previous setup you can find it here;
http://www.perthcich...showtopic=39613

Ok from this:

To this:

The system is doing well considering no Co2 and Ferts for three months (from Jan to April).

I will confirm the number of Ts. i'll be getting tomorrow once i picked them up, they are Ts. Katoto from a local breeder.

My old Ilangi boss:

And the Moliro boss:

Thanks for reading.

#2 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Waruna, the tank is looking amazing! I always liked it before, but I honestly like it even better now. As you said, it is more "low tech" and it looks like you reduced the light too.

My suggestion would be to trim down the java fern near the surface, just to thin it out a little. My eye was instantly drawn towards it and its starting to look a tad messy.
Possibly remove a few of the C. Balansaes in the middle as well (only because I want some for my new tank lol tongue.gif ). But doing this would also make the Crinum more of a "centre piece". How is the GSA going on the Anubias leaves, starting to subside?

Cant wait to see it in person

Craig

#3 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi Craig,

Sure no probs you can have a few Balansae but you will have to wait a while since i'm only prepared to pull them out just before my next canister filter cleaning day, it makes a mess. I'll let you know when smile.gif

GSA is still a nuisance, only on the glass and Anubias leaves. I have removed all the Anubias on the right hand side now, in it's place i have put two Anubias afzelli and an Anubias Jenny (i think). I am hoping afzelli will grow much faster and is less likely to get GSA, they do get GSA but i'm just hoping!!

The java near the surface needs to grow a bit more, it looks odd because i have cleaned and removed all the leaves from under, once more leaves start to grow and cover the whole top area i think it will look better. Also the camera flash added some more light to that area, thanks for the suggestion though smile.gif. I am thinking of moving the Crinum Natans to the center from the left side, ive been putting it off since it's going to make such a big mess.

I picked up 14 Ts. katato on Saturday morning. They are absolutely loving the tank! Co2 hasn't bothered them at all, it is set between 6.55-6.65, starting PH is 7.5. My only regret is having all the other fish in the tank, they take the attention away from the Ts. I guess as they grow bigger they will be more obvious in the tank and get all the attention. The smallest of the Ts. are around 3.5cm, same size of a cardinal tetra in length. The biggest ones are the same size of an adult bleeding heart tetra.

I decided not to treat the tank with Metro as i did not see any discomfort from any of the Ts. As soon as i put them in even the smallest ones started to shiver/dance and mimic breeding behavior. The whole day Saturday it looked as if they were playing a game to see who is brave enough to go to the surface, they kept doing circles and circles. It was obvious they were enjoying all the more space now since they came from a 120l tank.

All are eating and seem very happy.

It is a bit hard to spot them since they are very small, but if you look closely there are two little Ts. swimming in the top middle and four more in the middle far right hand side.

#4 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like you have it all under control (no surprise there).

A little tip for removing plants with a large root system is to have someone else hold a siphon hose at the base of the plant, then another person gently pull out the plant. The syphon sucks up the majority of the debris before it can disperse throughout the tank. Let me know if I can help smile.gif

Craig

#5 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hey Craig, bring a ladder, i have only one. As you know it's impossible even to feed the tank without one, and lately you have been bulking up and no way we are sharing one ladder smile.gif

I'll let you know when those Taps are ready, why not come and pick them up from mine?!

Ts. are still alive and running a muck!! At feeding times the dom males thrashes who ever is close by, usually a bleeding heart!

#6 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

A week has gone by and no dramas.. The only thing is they don't really care about dry food!! Just happy grazing all day, solid green poo, looks like mini algae wafers! No signs of bloat. I upped the Co2 level to 6.54-6.64, from here on it'll be reduced .01 each time, i'm not sure how much lower i'll go.. Plants seem to be doing ok, pearling as soon as the lights are on. If possible i'd like to drop the PH to 6.50.

One of the dom males smashed a flying fox two nights ago right in front of me during feeding time. It sat on the gravel breathing heavily for a long time, the next day it was swimming up side down so i pulled it out and found a small dent on one side of it's body! I didn't put it back in. I have noticed a lot of aggression towards the bleeding hearts too, only during the feeding time though. Other than that like everyone else they get chased away from territorial boundaries. Typical of Ts, no exceptions!

The smallest are absolutely adorable, i've been glued to the tank every evening. I'm so glad i made the switch to Ts. Discus are very boring compared to these guys, there is never a dull moment, on top of that i really believe this behavior is as natural as it'll ever be.. Small groups of Ts. grazing small patches/areas of the tank together.. When one finds a good spot with food everyone else gets chased away..

I'd love to add 10 or so wilds in to the colony..!

#7 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Photos ?

#8 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Taken five mins ago...

Cheers.

#9 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Nice , will be an interesting thread to follow

#10 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

All are doing really well. I am fasting them for four days, one more day to go..

They are actively eating clado, fantastic!!!! GDA is on new Anubias leaves, which is a very disappointment. PH is down to 6.5 smile.gif

#11 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

Why do you fast them, waruna (Im a Tropheus noob smile.gif )

Good to hear they eat Clado! The are the only fish Ive heard of eating it.

Dont worry too much about the GSA/GDA on Anubias... It's inevitable. And even Amano had it, remember? lol

#12 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

GSA/GDA?

#13 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Green spot algae/Green dust algae

#14 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hey Craig, well they are not really interested in pellets, specially the bigger ones. Smaller ones do get excited at feeding time. So i spoke to the breeder and he suggested i starve them for four days, i was supposed to do this when i bought them first smile.gif Their poo is grayish-greenish colour, so they are eating algae and what ever else taste like food!

Yesterday when i went near the tank for the first time they started following me, this is good! I'm not worried, i just want them to eat some proper food and grow faster!

I decided to fast them twice a week, no food on Wednesdays and Sundays.

#15 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Update. I have seen the evidence now, they are all eating and the poo looks like the pelleted food they eat, even the biggest ones. The breeder was feeding 3mm NLS Large fish formula, so they had been breaking the pellets and not used to eating whole pellets. I think they are getting used to the small 1mm pellets, slowly.

With the money i collected from selling the Discus i decided to buy 12 Wild Ts. Katoto. I have placed the order with Pacco. The last of the Discus are at Vebas if anyone is interested. Exciting biggrin.gif

#16 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Two months after re-starting the tank.. Ts. are in a fantastic condition now, eating dry foods well, very happy with the results. Have not seen any dead bodies..

#17 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

That java fern is growing like crazy!! goodjob.gif

#18 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yes mate, need more growing smile.gif

#19 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Update. Two months after adding the Katoto colony i purchased 10 wild Katoto a week ago. All going really well. Clado is gone!! Ts. actively eat Clado. No bloat and all very healthy.

Taken during photo period

Viewing lights on

#20 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Looking good mate smile.gif

It's amazing to compare it with your earlier pictures. The java ferns in particular have gone absolutely crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users