Photo

Fisheries Still Hate Shrimp

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yesterday my dad's mate got his door kicked down by fisheries, they poisoned all of his tanks to kill the shrimp and anything else in them. The shrimp keeper smashed one of his own tanks so they had to crawl around on the floor to get the rest, the police were called also.
He may be going to court, possibly facing a $10,000 fine or a years jail for keeping shrimp...

Just be aware that the fisheries are still on the hunt.

Edited by Shane-o88, 20 February 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#2 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

someone posted about this on one of the facebook pages but they said the guy imported king kong shrimp from overseas? are they on the allowable imports list?

#3 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Don't know all the details, just letting people know that fisheries still want to kill your shrimp.

#4 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

all exotic shrimp they we have were illegally imported originally and the stock that is here now is what has been bred from that.... he imported something thats  illegal to import... they cracked down on shrimp originally to test for diseases and obviously didnt find anything.... so now they are probably just gonna crack down on anyone who is silly enough to import something thats not on the allowable imports list.... just because they mustn't have found any diseases when they cracked down on people trading shrimp and that... doesnt mean any new lots someone imports will be free of these diseases aswell... just an idea :P

Edited by TheTexasCichlidMasacre, 20 February 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#5 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

yes that guy kinda did stire the pot though, i heard he had someone related to him working at a airport to help sneak them in and they got caught

obviously it was going to happen to him after he pulled that

#6 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi Shane,

Your post may cause unnecessary panic.

His importation of a restricted species is most likely the cause for the raid.

There seems to be no nexus between the raid and him simply keeping shrimp. Rovik, who is one of our Committee members, attended an event run by Fisheries and he spoke with an official who told him that Fisheries are no longer targeting shrimp.

Thank you for making the post though - the last thing we should be is dismissive of such alerts/news.

Regards,

Andrew

#7 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Importing is a whole different ball-game but I have to ask, Anka if an official rep has been spoken to is there any chance of them writing something official down? I know a few shop owners at least that are waiting for the white flag to be waved before they're comfortable carrying ornamental shrimp on shelf even if ordered through a supplier such as bayfish/premierpet from eastern states.

Thanks for keeping us informed of events Shane :)

#8 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

No worries guys. Don't mean to cause any panic, just heard that shrimp were brutally murdered and thought it was the right thing to let people know they may still be on the hunt. Cheers

#9 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Anka if an official rep has been spoken to is there any chance of them writing something official down?

We send them an official letter from the PCS requesting clarification on a number of issues, for that very reason, but to my knowledge they are yet to respond. This was sent months ago so I wouldn't hold your breath.

#10 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

what other issues are there?

lack of being able to import cool stuff like aros, gars, bichirs big cats etc? haha

#11 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Farout, I can't believe the Fisheries actually go to the extent of looking for evidence to who has the shrimp, then going to there house, bashing down the door AND poisoning all of the suspects tank.

They're freshwater shrimp so they pose no threat to the swan.

I guess they don't want them growing like this mutant killer...

Attached File  image.jpg   45.43KB   8 downloads

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

You will not get anything in writing from a government department, so don't waste your time

If this guy was raided because of illegally importing something, then I have no sympathy for him. People that do the wrong thing make it harder for hobbyists to keep cool stuff.

If he was raided just for keeping shrimp, then that's not cool

#13 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Would like more information on this. Please post the details if they become known to you, Shane.

I wonder which poison they used?

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Magic blue juice no doubt

#15 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

He told me it was a purple substance like jelly. Killed all the plants he had in the tanks also. He has a camera focused on his front door for security and he said they disconnected it before the door being kicked in. He attempted to import kingkongs from Canada, only a week prior he had attempted importing them from over east of which were caught and destroyed again.

#16 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

i wouldnt call it importing... i'd be more inclined to call it smuggling :) 

if he got caught bringing in shrimp from canada it wouldnt matter if it was a shrimp or a guppy it has potential disease risk associated with it and thats why fisheries and customs and daff try to stop it... 

is there still an issue with rspca on poisoning anything with a spine ???

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

Id love to know what the substance was. I want to know if its considered hazardous?

#18 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

Word through the grape vine, It's Calcium Hypochlorite (Dry pool chlorine).

#19 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

That would be white??

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Calcium Hypochlorite is considered hazardous and dangerous. Fisheries would have to remove all traces of it before they left otherwise they would leave themselves open to criminal and civil legal action for subjecting people to a hazardous substance in THEIR workplace with no training on how to safely manage it.

That would be hilariously ironic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users