Can I Use Peat Moss To Lower My Aquarium Ph

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

I was reading an article on lowering aquarium ph and I saw that it said you can use peat moss, so I went onto the bunnings website and found this :

www.bunnings.com.au/potting-mix-brunnings-5l-peat-moss-31344_p3010202

Do you think it will work, and is there anyway of making it safe just in case like pre soaking it ???? Thanks

Edited by slink, 06 April 2014 - 06:43 AM.
Edit title, there is no need to put that many question marks

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Why do you want to adjust pH? 

Co2 seems like the best way to go IMO if you want a stable and lower pH... Yeah I know its a little expensive to set up.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Because my tap water is 8-8.2

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yeah I get that your pH is high, but for what reason do you want to lower it?

The reason I ask is that a LOT of people freak out about pH more than they should. More important to keep it stable.

#5 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

I want to breed betta's and to breed them they need a low ph and soft water ( ps I know they are hard to breed and everything so don't need to tell me about that). And I just want the ph around 6.5- 7.5

#6 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 09 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Agreed ro is a good option to soften a small tank with no plants... Im assuming its a small tank, being betta and all. Ro is such a pain in the arse for larger volumes. I used to ro my marine water... never again... water changes suck enough without all the extra hooha!

#8 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

petmagic sell peat moss, pretty cheap too.

$2 for 200grams i think, cant remember exactly

bunnings can buy also but not 100% sure if its aquarium safe

#9 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

If you go to the bottom of the page in the link I put, it says that there are no fertilisers

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

I was gonna say use plant substrate and lots of driftwood in your tank to buffer the water down, but if you're breeding bettas then that would be difficult in a little tank. If your source water is hard and alkaline, then either precondition your water in a storage container first or mix with rainwater etc. as mentioned above

#11 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

For smaller volumes you can get RO water from some hydroponic shops, but having to drive to get water sucks. I mentioned in a previous post that Indian almond leaves and barley straw pellets can be handy at buffering smaller tanks but Indian almond leaves are often recommended for Betta breeding as a spawning trigger and for fry raising too.
You could also use an active substrate to buffer the pH levels in your tanks? I'm quite fond of "cal aqua lab's black earth premium" (benibachi is pretty good too)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#12 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

I have 2 RO units, but isn't RO water unstable ????

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

No, there can be instability depending on substraight, rocks and volumes of hard water added. Basically if you have the elements present to buffer the water the ph will start climbing if that happens and you waterchange with soft, acidic water you will get some bouncing around.
if the contents of your tank are inert, low in carbonate hardness or acidic and you dont add hard or alkaline water it should hold steady.

#14 Mononoke

Mononoke
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

I've been experimenting with peat lately and have found it to be pretty effective when using a mix of 1/2 RO and half tap water in the tank. Over a couple of days it brings the ph from 7.2 to 6.5. I actually found it TOO strong in my 90l (brought it down to 5.8!), so took the media bag out of the filter and just have it suspended in the tank to slowly infuse. Have a crack, but keep an eye on how much you use because the ph can dip too low if the water is already reasonably soft.
Anyway, just my limited experience so far, but I've found it pretty useful.

#15 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

What peat are you using ????

#16 Rod

Rod
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Be careful

What Bunnings sells as peat is pine bark + coconut husks….works ok for plants, not for fish

You need true peat which is decomposed sphagnum moss….it's harder to get and much more expensive

Ketapang leaves are better IMO

#17 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 09 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#18 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

I haven't used peat yet but I have used IAL and Seachem Discus buffer. I find the discus buffer works faster, and is easier to measure for consistency.

My tap water comes out at 7.8 with a low KH so is easy to lower. I get it down to 6.5 using seachem and it's stable.

#19 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

I use API proper ph 6.5, and my tap water is 8 but my RO water is 6-6.5, could I use the RO water straight without the API proper ph 6.5 ????

#20 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

regarding brunning peat moss - see this thread

Seems to have done the trick for the OP with regards to pH and growing plants. No report on water softening.

I have not tried it but am very interested to test it in my next small tank setup.

For pH, I have experimented on Seachem discus buffer, API Ph Down and Pool acid (sodium biphophonates), HCL and Indian almond leaves, all with Perth tap water. Didnt find indian almond leaves to be  effective at all in lowering pH. Pool acid and HCl were unpredictable and if you're not careful with measuring parameters, you can get some wild swings. Wouldnt recommend using them unless you can keep a close eye for these swings. Having said that, I have bred some pretty finicky acidic loving fish with em.

Agree with Ronny that Seachem discus buffer works well and lowers pH more predictably. However it is not cheap and ppl complan about the high phosphates it causes.  If peat works well, I wont be buying another tub of the buffer.

Edited by deliriouz, 09 April 2014 - 12:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users