Photo

Fish colour

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anno1685

anno1685
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Not too long ago, I asked for an ID on one of my fish that I thought may have been something else. The final consensus was that the fish was what it was. Someone suggested that this genus takes longer to show its colours. However, today, while taking pictures of my fish, I observed this:

The fish does in fact have all its colours, however it only shows itself under the flash. Here is a picture of it under normal light.

When I first discovered this fish, I saw pictures of it in a Malawi Cichlid book at the LFS. I was under the impression that the fish will look as it appears on the page, like in the first picture.

Do I not have the correct lighting for the fish in my tank? I am using a fluorescent sylvania aquastar 10,000K tube. (White light) Should I try using blue light? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

#2 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I use a blue tube as well as 2 white tubes on my tanks and that seems to show the colours on the fish quite well.

Have also noticed substrate colours can make the fish look more bright/defined e.g. blue fish against black background looks brighter than blue fish against blue background.

Cheers Brad smile.gif

#3 69olds

69olds
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

i use the same lighting two white and one blue and it does show up the colours nicely althouth i do use crushed coral in my tank so not sure if brown or any dark colour will improve there colour it was my L.F.S. that suggested the white coral sand so i guess they knew what they were talking about and at $85 dollars for 25 kgs they better have. hehehe

#4 anno1685

anno1685
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

(69olds)
i use the same lighting two white and one blue and it does show up the colours nicely althouth i do use crushed coral in my tank so not sure if brown or any dark colour will improve there colour it was my L.F.S. that suggested the white coral sand so i guess they knew what they were talking about and at $85 dollars for 25 kgs they better have. hehehe

Can anyone suggest a good blue tube?

#5 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

When I first discovered this fish, I saw pictures of it in a Malawi Cichlid book at the LFS. I was under the impression that the fish will look as it appears on the page, like in the first picture.

Keep in mind that the pics you see in books are of exceptional individuals and are taken with various styles of flash photography.
For example, look at the girls in mens' (and womens') magazines, do you see these girls on the street every day with the same complextion and perfect looks etc?
Books are only an example of near perfect fish, they would not dare print a pic of sub-dominant fish unless that is all they had.

Sorry to be a bum here, I just want to point out that what you see in books, is not necessarily every day reality. Changing lights will help some but not all, and even the angle of lighting will change the looks. Good luck with it.

#6 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

What girly books you talking about DOC 8O 8O laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#7 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

The ones you dream about, that you keep under your bed.... 8O laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#8 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

ARRRR now i know what you are on about 8O 8O laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ps my young bloke stole all of mine :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

#9 tywonreef

tywonreef
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

sylvania coralstars or philips aqua coral are great looking blue tubes at a reasonable price. We have them at morley.

#10 anno1685

anno1685
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

(tywonreef)
sylvania coralstars or philips aqua coral are great looking blue tubes at a reasonable price. We have them at morley.

I picked up a cheap blue tube (unknown brand and make) from a LFS, but hasn't made any difference. I hope it's cos it's an old and inferior tube. With the blue alone, it simply looks dark and dirty-looking, without the "electric" look I've seen in some marine tanks. Are there any LFS with blue tubes in Malawi tanks that I can check out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users