Golden Trevally In Freshwater?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

hey guys

this might sound odd, but i recalled about 8-10 years ago, my uncles mate had a 8ft tankbuster tank with your usual stuff. But the difference was that he had a golden trevally ( the fish that u would catch up north for people who dun know what i am on about)

i remembered him telling me that it was a "Gt" , which either couldve been a giant trevally or a golden trevally, but i would say its a golden trevally cos the giants tend to be really dark grey.

i was wondering if any one else has seen this ? because the speed and power that this particular fish had was amazing, and i wouldnt mind owning one myself!

i been thinking about it over many years now, and it does not help with my uncle losing contact with him. Sometimes i feel like it was a dream!

any info would be sweet!

p.s i am a keen rec fisher and love this fish during my time up at shark bay!

#2 4x4xfar

4x4xfar
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

I live up north and catch these fish all the time, varying from 20cm to over a meter.
The proper "GT" is the Giant Trevally which can vary from all over silver to really dark and blotchy. They are also quite "Built" compared to Golden trevally.
The Golden Trevally starts life in a striking yellow colour with black bars which they lose when they get bigger, adults are usualy silver with a yellowish underside with several black blotches down their side and 2 fish are never the same. They are more slender than the GT and have Blubbery Lips
I dont believe that either fish can survive in fresh water!

Your biggest hassle will be the size the fish gets. they get huge and I'm pretty sure they are fast growers too.
It would be ok for me, as I could keep juvies and just release them when they get too large as they are originally from here.
As for you, you might be better off keeping 'Skippy' as they are from your region and they are very close relatives to the Trevallies.

#3 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

haha nah i dont really want to keep it, i was jsut wondering if it was real or not.

because it was definately a freshwater tank but i was not sure that is was a trevally!

i know the fish go Massive.. experience a couple my self at steep point LOL!

i was told by him that he got it a vebas ...

its been on my mind for soo long and i just want to know if it was for real or not LOL!!

cheers

#4 4x4xfar

4x4xfar
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

I'd say No, not fresh water, In a brackish tank maybe but it probably wouldnt like it!

I'm trying to think of something that would resemble a GT in fresh water but nothing comes to mind right now.

#5 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (4x4xfar @ Aug 6 2008, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say No, not fresh water, In a brackish tank maybe but it probably wouldnt like it!

I'm trying to think of something that would resemble a GT in fresh water but nothing comes to mind right now.

thats exactly what i been thinking LOL nothing comes to mind....

he kept on saying its a GT.. definately aint a giant trevally, but it did have abit of yellow tinge toward its tail.

shrugs.. i guess i will have to keep thinking!

i even asked my uncle and he said it was a golden.. but i am pretty suss'd about it!

#6 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

I've seen them at vebas before in their brackish tanks.

#7 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

so it wasnt a lie after all.... LOL!!

sweet

wonder if any are still around?

#8 MrKrissKross

MrKrissKross
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (tran4m3r @ Aug 7 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so it wasnt a lie after all.... LOL!!

sweet

wonder if any are still around?

Funny you say that last time I was at vebas they had a ripper juvenile!

#9 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (MrKrissKross @ Aug 7 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny you say that last time I was at vebas they had a ripper juvenile!

out of curiousity, what was the price for it? would be interesting LOL

#10 Ace

Ace
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

• Looks like this is true after all. I stumbled on this post and remembered this site mentioning a freshwater big eye trevally. Photo is on the middle of the page.

http://www.aquapress...temid=3&lang=en

#11 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

This is straight off wiki..

In the Philippines, a population of giant trevally inhabit (and were once common in) the landlocked fresh waters of Taal Lake, and are referred to as maliputo to distinguish them from the marine variant.

The above is pretty interesting, because either these fish are euryhaline and have adapted to live in the fresh water over time or they are somehow getting back to sea via caves or something like that. It'd be very interesting to get a healthy little GT and try to very slowly acclimatise it to fresh water and see how it goes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users