Photo

Fish Lost In Balls

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

My tropheus red caramba has spat again over the weekend some time, I know this as I've found something in my balls which is a real treat  (I've found many surprises down amongst my balls before).

I know I'm definitely not the first to lose fry in the biological media (Bio balls) in the sump, what do most of you do?  leave them to wader aimlessly amongst the media, do they turn up with out digging through, coherse them with food.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

I’ve never used a sump but have seen fish trapped in those k1 media filters at Vebas. Fish seemed happy enough in the filter. Good luck hunting the fry. Can’t you make it fry safe?

#3 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

I've had a few times with little fish that i've used sponge to block the return so water can get through but not little fish, the only issue is that the fish poop gathers quickly and it needs to be a tank you go to every day (i have one in each of my offices that will go a couple days between-nearly had a disaster where i came in and the only thing stopping the tank overflowing was surface tension cause the return was full of muck).  

I've considered trying a sludge bag like what they use in water treatment places as a prefilter to my fine wool?

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

Many years ago, I saw an electric yellow that was about 5-6cm that had grown up in the bottom of a filter that had adapted to swimming on its side due to a life in confinement. 

#5 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Many years ago, I saw an electric yellow that was about 5-6cm that had grown up in the bottom of a filter that had adapted to swimming on its side due to a life in confinement. 

This may be the saddest story I have ever heard.  

#6 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

I have a mate in Detroit who recovered a petro trewavasse from his FX5 that was almost 4cm. It had prolly been in there 4-5 months since he last cleaned the canister. Apart from some light sensitivity issues it recovered nicely...

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Used to have catfish lost into underground filters all the time. Apart from bit of a shock on finding, seemed to go back ‘upstairs’ with no problems.

#8 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:58 AM

I found an adult male bristlenose catfish in an under gravel filter of a malawi cichlid tank i had as a kid. The funny thing was the fact I had done species changes and rescapes about 3 times since having any bristlenose catfish so it had likely been in there for about two years living in the sludgey crap underneath. It was fat and healthy, ended up selling it to my LFS at the time as I was pulling down the tank.

#9 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Ive found a bristlenose in an FX5 I bought off gumtree when the bloke opened it up for me, he said he hadn't opened that canister in over 6 months. Fish resided back into his display tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users