Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Departure's Content

There have been 12 items by Departure (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#366543 Seachem Safe Doesing Chart

Posted by Departure on 08 September 2018 - 09:30 PM in Technical & Equipment

I just realized a "Drop" is actually 1/40 tsp(0.125g) which treats 125 liters / 33 Gallons at normal dosing rate, I will update the chart soon, not sure how to measure out for smaller tanks, must be a couple of grains lol

#366537 Seachem Safe Doesing Chart

Posted by Departure on 07 September 2018 - 04:58 PM in Technical & Equipment

So I have been looking all over the internet for dosing amounts for seachem safe, I found a lot of mixed dosing rates, So I went to the seachem web site to double check the label on my seachem safe is the same, apparently they have changed the dosing rates which are correct on my bottle of seachem safe, but I wanted to know how much I needed to treat smaller tanks, So I made up a chart for easier reference below, Just posting it here so I don't loose it. btw the grams is pretty much the same as milliliters if you do not have scales, I personally ordered a set of "Mad Millie Culture And Enzyme measuring spoons" these have the tad, dash, pinch smidgen and drop measurements. For smaller tanks not listed the normal dosing rate is basically 0.1g / 100mg per 100 liters, so if you had a 20 litre tank it would be 20mg / 0.02g for a normal dosing rate

[Update "Drop" = 1/40 tsp or 1/64 tsp, Depends on what brand of measuring spoons used]

ag824vPl.png

#364485 Fish Suggestions "summer Tubbing"

Posted by Departure on 28 December 2017 - 12:35 AM in Cichlid Discussion

yeah might use a bit of perspex while im away, otherwise I don't see a great deal of water loss while im home doing water changes each week.

#364484 Fish Room Insulation For Perth Weather

Posted by Departure on 28 December 2017 - 12:33 AM in Technical & Equipment

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up using Ametalin Thermalbreak 7 Insulation for the roof and RC4 batting for the walls, its coming along nicely, Just need to get the wiring done and gyprock aqua boards for the walls 

#364407 Fish Room Insulation For Perth Weather

Posted by Departure on 16 December 2017 - 01:00 PM in Technical & Equipment

It was one of those deals with the misses, she wanted a pool for kids and I wanted a fish room... hehe but yes once the pool novelty wears off for misses, the pool will be become a pond 

#364402 I Cant Get My Tank Clear

Posted by Departure on 16 December 2017 - 10:05 AM in Technical & Equipment

I find I get that haze in my tank when the oxygen levels are low, in my case some time my venturi air line blocks up and no oxygen getting into the tank, once I unblock it, it will normally clear up in 1 or 2 days, I am not sure what type of air supply you are feeding to your tank, but it wouldn't hurt to increase it, I have seen this multiple time in my tanks and making sure the air supply(Venturi) is good has always fixed this problem

#364400 Fish Room Insulation For Perth Weather

Posted by Departure on 16 December 2017 - 09:00 AM in Technical & Equipment

Just looking for some advice on insulation, I am in the process of building an outside fish room made from timber with weather board cladding and colorbond sheet roofing, just wanting to know what sort of insulation I would need for Perth weather? it is a 7mx3m and 2.4m high with an "A" frame roof, I am sure there are people who have done similar builds on this forum, so I would really like to know what you guys used and how it worked out for you during the Perth seasons. Also any recommendation on heating/cooling equipment, I don't really want to go a split system, I was thinking more of a portable device that can heat and cool(Portable split system type thingy) 

This is where I am up to so far, don't mind the mess its still in construction...

Fish.Shed.Construction.jpg

Thanks in advanced..

#364399 Fish Suggestions "summer Tubbing"

Posted by Departure on 16 December 2017 - 08:25 AM in Cichlid Discussion

Just a quick update,

I decided to try guppies first before putting bristlenose and corydora out there and they are breeding like crazy with no casualties  so far, haven't really been monitoring the temps but I will start doing that as it heats up more during January and February, as for evaporation.. I work away 3 weeks at a time and the wife just feeds them for me and no water changes on these tubs, I lost about 1/4 water level over the 3 weeks, so thats not too bad. While im home I do weekly water changes and do not notice much evaporation.

#363680 Fish Room Shed Build

Posted by Departure on 10 October 2017 - 06:16 PM in Journals

What size is the shed? I will be doing a fish room shed within the next couple of months, so I found your post very useful, your fish room is looking great 

#363621 Fish Suggestions "summer Tubbing"

Posted by Departure on 05 October 2017 - 02:24 PM in Cichlid Discussion

So I started setting up the "Summer Tubbing" I cut olives barrels in half and used 3 out of 4, bought some bricks at bunning's for a couple dollars each and pine timber(1800mm long) for $4 each, Had some varnish/stain and gave them a coat so it doesn't look so ghetto with pine. tested it by filling them up with water and they didn't move an inch.

fla9n5.jpg

#363570 Fish Suggestions "summer Tubbing"

Posted by Departure on 03 October 2017 - 11:42 AM in Cichlid Discussion

Thanks Poncho, it's good to know Malawis would work, Unfortunately I got rid of my Africans a few years ago, I have a heap of Albino bristlenose fry I was thinking of throwing out in the tubs and was thinking of throwing some cherry shrimp in one of the tubs also, and maybe some corydoras that I have could be a good edition to "Summer tubbing"

#363525 Fish Suggestions "summer Tubbing"

Posted by Departure on 01 October 2017 - 08:38 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Just wondering what fish would be suitable to keep under a patio outside in Perth weather, It's coming up to summer and would really like to throw some fish into those brown plastic olive barrels, I have 2 barrels that I have cut in half's to make 4 "tubs". If anyone does the "Summer Tubbing" thing maybe you could throw up a few suggestions plus tips and tricks to keeping a summer tub going. I have 4 extra large seeded sponge filters and a bigboy airpump and ready to go. I think it might be just a tad cold just yet to set up, as night temps are still around 10 degree Celsius, but was thinking once it reaches around 15 Celsius during the nights that would be a good time to start. All ideas and suggestions welcome regarding the fish and tub setup