Photo

Cichlids Outdoors?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 thefreodockers

thefreodockers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

I want to be able to keep some decent fish in there but, like say a moray eel and lion fish etc. They surely wouldn't survive the temp change that the tank will undergo through summer would they?
And i beleive now that i could hook up a refrigerater unit pulled out of a bar fridge with a thermostat to cool the water if i need to aswell... But it would still be darned expensivce to cool if i had too...
I still wouldn't mind seeing someone who has done a large salt tank outside for advice, because for me its a huge expense and i dont wanna screw it up...

#22 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Murray Cod aren't noxious - they just require translocation approval (same as Barramundi, Gold/Silver Perch etc). This means that they must be kept indoors, not bought for the purpose of aquaculture and not released into any lakes/rivers etc.

#23 swarvegorilla

swarvegorilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

OK working with fridges to cool water is lame. If you don't believe me please research anyone who has tried to do it. They just don't have the power.
I think you would be better off getting hardy fish!!!!!
Think damsels and stuff.
Maybe goto www.angelfish.com.au
and see whats cheap.
If it was here I would throw you some stripeys.
A moray would be a good call though.
If you contact your local fisheries and find out about getting a private collectors liscense form. Then if you are successful and pay the $60 odd dollar fee you can go capture marine life with standard aquarium nets. Or with a recreational liscense you could catch a few with rods. (not sure on your laws these are nsw)
I think fish that can survive in rockpools around your area will be good choices. Rockpools have huge temp variations and something that can handle that will handle your pond. Heck may even get your eel.
I also do not think you should stock this thing straight up with expensive fish.
Order a box of blue damsels, go fishing and catch some tough fish or fill the dam thing with mollies. Don't test it out on a lionfish unless your really sure it's all stable.
Big marine tanks are really expensive. Take it slow and start with tough cheap stuff. Marine tanks always get better with time but your gonna hafta keep an eye on this one evapouration is gonna be tricky, I think an automatic water top off would save you a lotta hassels.
Even if you just buy some really good liverock you will be surprised at how much awesome stuff come out of it. WIth all the little critters breeding and stuff when you finally do put your fish in theres heaps of live food.

#24 thefreodockers

thefreodockers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

Yeah man its sounding like its a absolute mission to do. I guess it was a bit of a large task. Id love to do it in the future when i have the cash though (hopefully). Thanks for telling me all i needed to know, youve been a real help, saved me a ton of cash... which im now gunna splurge on an indoors saltwater fish tank... i think (A substitute for the broken dreams). It'll be a cop-out but i think that doing the outside salty was a bit too full on.

Oh and do you know if you can keep coral trout in tanks? I love those fish and it would look pretty sweet... bit of a demon fish too :twisted:

#25 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

Just spent the day cleaning and re-filling my pond for summer. Sure gonna feel the pain tomorrow...but well worth it! Another week like this week and the fish can go in....

Andrea smile.gif

#26 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:08 PM

Here's some pics...

I'll add more when the sun moves over...hopefully lose the reflection.

Andrea smile.gif

#27 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:59 PM

A few more shots...

If you build it, they will come...

Andrea smile.gif

#28 swarvegorilla

swarvegorilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

Yea I'd swim in it.
biggrin.gif

thefreodockers, dude not sure on the coral trout as a few species that use that common name.
Oh and I still think you should get some mollys. One of my favourite marine fish until I got the occie.
Definitely though if ya get a big predator like that and your doing lots of water changes you should have a pond to tip the dirty water into. Even if it is just mollys a small saltwater pond is pretty goochy in my books, just gotta use plastic plants.... 8)

and go here and have a read.
http://www.mindspear...rete/index.htm:
Getting LR to seed rock is great. Buying a whole tank of the stuff is serious cash.
Make it, leach it well and then seed it with a few high quality bits LR and some handfulls of crud from the bottem of old kick ass marine tanks.
All it takes is time. Lots of time..... oh and an ability to like whatever it is that goes crazy and takes over helps too.
:twisted:

#29 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

Well I put half (12) the rostratus in today (plus a spare male M. mola and 6 green chromides..for algae control) and they look pretty happy. The pond is still coolish but we are expecting fairly warm weather from now on so they should be fine. They are happily swimming around (can't say the same for the tadpoles :cryblow: ), uprooting my potted plants dry.gif and doing fishy things. It's amazing what you can think of to look at your fish in a pond! Now all I need is one of the pool lifeguard chairs I used to sit in at the aquatic centre :8

Andrea smile.gif

#30 swarvegorilla

swarvegorilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

http://forums.waterw...ic=90612 <br />
saltwater pond thread.
Rostratus are born to be pond fish.
Wonder if their flee reflex would help them against birds if you gave them a semi thick bottem sand/gravel layer to bury into?

Wouldn't mind living somewhere I could have them in ponds all year round though. That'd be great.

#31 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Few more shots...

Andrea smile.gif

#32 Nivola

Nivola
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

merjo you amaze me.

Now if I could only smuggle that pond inside for the winter months and heat it I would be one happy guy! Dont think the olds would love it but.
would make a nice display in the lounge room!

Nivola

#33 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

A few more teasers...

Andrea smile.gif

#34 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:23 PM

Hi all

After a $500 and then $350 electric bill I had been spending the past month regretting having heated my pond over winter. However after spending the weekend tending to some pond maintence the regret soon faded as I watched a pair of Corydoras swimming in tandem across the bottom foraging and the most spectacularly healthy and colourful central and south American cichlids swimming around. As I walked past yesterday afternoon I noticed a pair of G. steindachneri had cleaned a spawning area in the shallows and were in the process of courting.

I have only thrown some pellets into the pond four times over the entire winter, however the fish are all fat, healthy and have grown really well and the colors are amazing, I think it must be due to healthy natural tucker and sunlight - good old vitamin D.

#35 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

I chucked some spillirum fry into a fairly large "natural" pond near by Grandma's house that feeds into her reticulation system. It is about 50m long 10m wide and about 2.5-3m deep. It stays about 60% full the whole year round. It's totally separated from any flowing water.

I went back years later the barstards are still breeding away like mad.

I think as long as the pond is deep enough to sustain a regular temp at the middle and lower layers they are fine.

Not to mention spillirum are hardy little barstards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users