Stingray Substrate

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:00 PM

G'day 

Know their are a lot of stingray keepers on the forum these days.

I am contemplating using some substrate - long term fan of bare bottom. Thinking about adding some black Tahitian moon sand. Anyone used it? what substrates are people using? not keen on gravel of any kind or sand that is prone to sticking to rays.

Pics welcomed.

Cheers,

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

I've only used garnet, gin gin river sand and at the home a local sand another member gave me.
All have stuck to Ray's.
Understand the bare bottom benefits but I hate it. Seems unnatural, and the Rays act different with the sand, burying, searching for food.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

stab in the dark - beach sand ???

#4 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

Mine love beach sand. But i prefered them on light gravel or glass bottom. Iv been told some black sands can be sharp and hurt the underside of rays but no experience with that myself

#5 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

Dont use the crystal black as that stuff is definitely sharp, I believe the Tahitian moon sand isn't sharp though. I think you'll have a hard time finding something that the rays can actually use that wont stick to them though.

#6 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Any substrate that has sharp edges does not come from an aquatic enviornment and should not be used, I don't keep rays but I'm into bare bottoms.

Cheers Terry 

#7 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:32 PM

Terry loves a bit of the old "bare bottom". /wolfwhistle

#8 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

i have tahitian moon sand and its very smooth and fine

#9 litigator666

litigator666
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

I decided against tahitian moon sand when I was preparing my tank for rays.  They float and easily gets to your filter inlet.  I'm using now red garnet, just check the grit size as there are some too fine and the bigger ones have rough edges.  Better to get a sample to give you an idea.  Cheap to buy as well and very heavy for a small bag.

The floor is covered by 3/4 of an inch, but the rays will just blow it anyway and you will have bare patches.  still looks good though.

#10 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

I use the garnet in my Poly tank, looks great! and have used for rays before too with no problems.

#11 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

Cheers for the comments guys

Anyone used regular play sand from Bunnings?

#12 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

If you want to use a white sand use river sand from soils ain't soils it is so much nicer then play sand. That stuff is just horid.

#13 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

Bowdy- what is wrong with play sand? I have it in another tank. Looks as good as any other sand and is heavy enough that I haven't ha any sucked up by filters, was also relatively clean traitor out of the bag.

I have spoken with GMA in regards to the Garnet sands. They have advised that the 20/40 mesh is very sharp as it is made by a crushing process. They had advised a finer grade to avoid sharp edges, apparently the 20/40 is almost like fine pieces of glass.

#14 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I've always wondered how glass bead (used for wet blasting) would look as a substrate. You can buy it from almost a powder size all the way up to probably 1.5mm thickness. The beads are perfectly round and would probably almost disappear or go an opaque white when submerged. It could look relatively cool I reckon. May have to try it out in a nano tank one day and see.

Attached File  glass bead.jpg   9.19KB   2 downloads 

#15 litigator666

litigator666
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

ive looked up my old post and it seems ive used the 20-40 grit size.  its not sharp, if it'll help you, i can pick some garnet on the tank and send it so you can compare to what you have there.  I also found that some abrasive supply shops have different tagging on sizes.  

http://www.riversand...u/filter-garnetthat's where i got mine,  they have some specs sheet so you can compare.  They use the garnet for filtration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users