Glutaraldehyde As Bactericide?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any issues with glut dosing for planted tanks either with fish looking off or an ammonia spike?

I know the stuff is used to sterilise hospital equipment yet I've never noticed many issues with it (even overdosing)?

Also be curious how much difference it does make to plant growth if anyone has done some comparisons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:53 PM

The bactericidal action of glutaraldehyde, like all bactericides/biocides is concentration dependent. The concentration used as a sterilant on hospital equipment is some orders of magnitude higher than that used as an organic carbon supplement in the aquarium, even when overdosing is taken into consideration (assuming that said overdosing has not eliminated all life within the aquarium).

Syd.

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. This is what I had thought as well. It's only been recently that I've seen a few papers that seem to indicate glut can have an effect at very low concentrations. Perhaps in the aquarium it gets converted fairly quickly or perhaps it stays as a liquid and doesn't become a vapour (just guessing!). I've just been looking into it out of interest just in case. I see what you mean on magnitude - getting a fraction of 1ppm dosed (assuming I'm doing the maths correctly)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16612035

"To prevent hazards from GA exposure, use of closed-system, fully automated washing machines is recommended, since numerous symptoms have been found in individuals with less than 0.05 ppm GA exposure, the recommended peak exposure limit in many countries."

http://europepmc.org...ct/MED/15670634

For the green alga, P. subcapitata, significant decreases in growth were observed at glutaraldehyde concentrations greater than or equal to 1.0 mg L(-1).

Edited by Delapool, 29 September 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

Got another question where I'm wondering if it does actually help plant growth by providing a carbon source? I'm dosing 3 to 6x which gives about 2 to 4ppm in tank. I agree it does work as an algaecide but there is very little in the way of studies I can find on plant growth

On a scale of 1 to 10, seachem rates glut a 6 or 7. Imo I find the difference between co2 injection and glut like chalk and cheese.

Has anyone run side by side comparisons or noticed a big change in plant growth (for same algae levels) with glut use?

#5 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

Obviously Dosing CO2 will always be the, be all, end all for dosing exactly that, CO2.

Check out the Barr report, there is some discussion about this topic

http://www.barrrepor...dehyde-give-you

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the link. I'd had a look through this and also looked at discussion on if glut is converted to co2 with in the plant and then used or is converted to something else and used as well.

The carbon tracing study I found a reference back to 2007 on (last post). Given it has been several years I would have thought this study would be complete and results published. So I'm somewhat sceptical on the silence?!

http://www.minnfish....opic.php?t=7303

And I just don't see 200 to 500% growth increases using it (last para in link below).

http://www.seachem.c...ed_Aquarium.pdf

Under high light I know I've had problems where glut couldn't keep up.

It just seems the carbon added (ignoring what it converts to) is too low.

Edited by Delapool, 08 October 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#7 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

It is low, CO2 (g) is still far more effective and economical (excluding the initial captial purchase) at dosing carbon.

I do agree that is an excellent mild algaecide and definitely has a place in aquaria, even in conjunction with An existing CO2 system. As it has quite a short half life in the aquarium (couple of hours) would be best to dosing automatically using a cheap, inexpensive peresthetic pump.

I love that line:

"Our studies/research has shown"...
Will they ever reveal their studies for analysis ?
Of course not.

Like most Anicdotal evidence, I take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Still 4ppm is better than nothing + deter algae.
It's a good product, might be a pain to dose and not as good as the real deal, but for a budding aquarist it's better than nothing :)

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

True, true - thanks for the time and information. Maybe one day something will get released :) Nothing much extra has popped up. I've been searching some early threads when it first started getting used (and speculated about) but nothing really new. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Delapool, 09 October 2015 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users