Photo

Umbee Or Dovii

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone have an Umbee pair or some baby Umbee at the moment or coming soon? Also I'm getting a 6x2 or 6x3 tank and was wondering what would I like better out of a dovii or Umbee, I've kept loaches, rts's etc I'm after a really aggressive, large and predatory fish?

Cheers, Tom

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Big, aggressive and predatory... Mangrove Jack! Dovii are the most aggressive cichlids ive come across.

#3 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

Yeah I've heard jacks really aggressive aquarium fish but they grow pretty big (I know from fishing). What would you recommend is the smallest tank you can keep them in? I can only get a 6 footer.

Cheers, Tom

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

Will be ok in a 4 footer for a couple of years. A Jack will be fine in a 6 foot tank. If you are fortunate enough to get your jack to outgrow a 6 footer it will be several years down the track.

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:01 AM

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=33056If you havent seen this thread yet check it out. There is a link on the first page posted by Shane H which is worth a look too.
  • ice likes this

#6 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

Yeah great just had a look at some online and crikey they're expensive. I'm not really starting a fish room or anything just getting one decent tank for 1 or 2 (breeding pair?) fish. I might stay along the lines of cichlids cause they're more commonly available and less expensive. But later along the lines a might look into a jack and I also want to keep a fw tank apparently you have to switch your tank to saltwater when they get older. Anyway I was thinking for cichlids maybe a red terror a rd a dovii or Umbee? Want to stick with ca/sa cichlids (dont know why). But just want a really aggressive, predatory and large cichlid. I was considering getting a butti but they aren't very common here, also a jag but apparently most are wusses. The other thing that looked mean was a grammodes? Just not too sure if they're here. Also (this is the last) black nasties (nandopsis haitiensis) but haven't had any luck finding one.

Cheers, Tom

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Get a Dovii! Such beasty fish!! I was keeping a large male for a while until he cracked the tank and committed fishocide by launching out off the tank after a big moth.... :)

#8 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Get a Dovii! Such beasty fish!! I was keeping a large male for a while until he cracked the tank and committed fishocide by launching out off the tank after a big moth.... :)

Crikey hope the dovii I get wont do that... I've decided on dovii or Umbee, I was reading an page about guapotes? It said that they are predatory fish that in the wild only eat other fish etc. and lots of fish like Umbee and beani cichlid are called guapotes but apparently aren't only dovii, jag, friedrichstalli and illosieni were something along those lines (all the parachromis...) apparently beani are pretty rare but are nasty as also black nasty but haven't had any luck finding either. But I think I'm gonna go with a dovii. Just one more question, would I be able to keep a male and female in a 180 or 220 gal? And I was hoping to get a pleco aswell cause they're good with algae...
But apparently they have sharp spines (not good if dovii gets hungry). Also heard bay snook was predatory but had a 'soft mouth' but don't know if they're aggressive

Cheers, Tom

#9 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:30 AM

could always go for a murray cod.... same thing 4 foot tank will be plenty big enough for 2-3 years... 6 foot tank to be outgrown would take 4-5 years or more...

they are cool, aggressive and see what happens when you chuck heap guppies in the tank :) fireworks start... and your hearing jaws chomping at waters surface all night

#10 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

Theres a bloke on the Qld forum with 2 awesome pairs of umbees and heaps and heaps of awesome quality fry that he sells dirt cheap and ships interstate. Ill def be hitting him up for a group once ive finally acquired a monster tank.

#11 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

How about 2 butterkoferi, they've some what disappeared, be great to see them be bred.

#12 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

How about 2 butterkoferi, they've some what disappeared, be great to see them be bred.

Yeh I was thinking about them but can't find any. But apparently they're vegetarian...

#13 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

maybe try over east, I love the butterkoferi.

if they are vego there still pretty nasty buggers.

4ft tank, how about a pair of polleni? with some other Madagascan fishes? thatd be cool

#14 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

What about black nasty or nandopsis haitiensis? Apparently they're mean as and they look good too. But just don't know if they're here...

#15 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

Starting to consider a tank with maybe a breeding pair of jags and some festae or Cubans and maybe a red devil or Midas or trimac... Wondering if this would work or would it be ww3? Probably be in a 6 footer what do you think??

#16 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Breeding pair will go feral and destroy everything... if things last that long.

#17 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

Breeding pair will go feral and destroy everything... if things last that long.

Ok what about buttikoferi? Are any of those around here?? And also what price would they be (because they're rare)?? (Id like to start breeding so might get a pair of them and try to get some out there because they're really cool fish!!!!)...

#18 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

id look over east, last one I seen here was 600. Inflation? rarity? or just a knob price hahaha - I think that was the latter.

4 years ago adults where all of $50-100. but yes harder to get these days.

price is up to what you would pay and what a seller would want.

I know there's a fish fish that id pay good $$$ for that people would think are worth $40-50.

#19 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

id look over east, last one I seen here was 600. Inflation? rarity? or just a knob price hahaha - I think that was the latter.
4 years ago adults where all of $50-100. but yes harder to get these days.
price is up to what you would pay and what a seller would want.
I know there's a fish fish that id pay good $$$ for that people would think are worth $40-50.

Pretty expensive to ship over Aus though maybe I'll just get a dovii, would I be able to keep a pair in a 180gal??? Don't think there are but are there black nasty cichlids in Aus?? Or even grammodes(mini dovii) would be cool but again don't know if they're in Aus???

Cheers, Tom
Or something like a Festae or Cuban?? Just saw some Cubans on gumtree for $50 each in Perth but they're sold(already!!)...

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

I would prefer to try a pair of nice festae. Really nice fish, dont see many around either. Might be a bit of a market for some fry. Though it seems like Americans might not be the height of fashion any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users