• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

**Pics resized **

Hi All,

Thought I'd share my new 6x2x2 build I've been working the last 2 months bit of a time line below :)

1. I think luck was on my side this day I was dumping some rubbish down the tip went into the tip shop and someone just dropped of a this 6x2x2 into the the tip shop, I asked how much they wanted and said $30 !! So pretty much straight into the trailer and to home for a test fill.

IMG_7653_zps06c7ec90.jpg

2. The Test Fill... after a bit of a clean found bugger all scratch's so filled her up... pray'd and let it sit for a month full of water... this was a condition from the Mrs before I was allowed to bring it inside... Happy Days no leaks :)

IMG_1717_zps45042db4.jpg

3. The Cabinet... My Father in-law built this from scatch for me, stunning job, he's a civil engineer so pretty much over engineered the frame, 

IMG_8819_zps9d83138f.jpg

4. Back ground time... I did so much research into DIY back ground... eventually went for foam, Clark rubber have 5x2x2 pieces about 6cm thick. The process pretty much went like this.

a. Cut into 4 segments and make the edges kind of jaggered so looks a bit more natural rock like

b. I used a steak knife to cut out some of the larger holes and crack lines.

c. I used a lighter to melt and and texture, it also made the shapes a little more random... defo wear a mask so your not breathing any nasty chems.

d. I was really inspired by some of those riparium tanks I've seen on youtube so I also added a few planters into the back ground, I did this by using some small 15cm square plastic pots siliconed foam to it and then randomized the shape using the same methods as above.

e. I used Cromlins Sandstone pond sealant over all sides of the foam x3 coats all up it took a 1lt tub to do this.

f. I used a mixture of different coloured paints, red, green, blue and randomly dry brushed it on to give a kind of mixed color effect.

g. I used Cromlins Clear pond sealant to seal all the added colors x2 coats and have loads left from a 1lt.

h. Use aquarium sealant to glue it to the glass... dont be shy as its foam its really going to want to pull away more the better.

Below is the wall shot... you can see the planters and a cave I put in this is were the water heater and water output will be.

IMG_5939_zps321be06c.jpg

When I was using the silicone I used clamps to hold it in place for a few hours to get a good hold I only had 2 so had to do 1 at a time and then move on.... This corner cave forms a triangle shape around 20cm x 20cm x 20cm I wanted it nice and big to allow water flow plus if I need to get my arms in there to adjust anything.

IMG_0183_zpsfd06669e.jpg

Talk about a misson to get this bugger inside the base is heavier than the tank its self... For stain choice I used a Walnut oil rub I did about 3 coats of this to get a nice deep color then a coat of Walnut Stain / Varnish rubbed it all down with 240 grade sand paper to get it nice and smooth then another last coat of Stain / Varnish.

While I was staining Im glad I had the for sight to glue carpet to the feet on the stand so we could slide it with the tank on across the tiles.

IMG_8991_zps41a73a40.jpg

Below are two short Vids of the tank just added fish I still need to add plants something ease like Vas down the bottom... Im not.sure yet for the top planters but I did make my own soil and mineralise it there is also approx 2inchs of avon river pebbles to stop the dirt going through the water... its a tad murky at the moment as I had added a pile of wood, I've a internal filter to help speed the process.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UVDapTwq73E

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ImEYnanVp7U

Equipment running:

Eheim 2217

300watt water heater

18watt UV clarifier 

Fogger / Mister - in the future once the lid has been built.

Fish:

x3 Archers

x1 Salmon Tail Cat Fish

x2 Feather fins

Im trying for mostly native's (feather fins excluded)... 

Other fish Im going to add

x3 more archers

x2 red tail scats

x1 Sara lei

Edited by MattB, 24 February 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#2 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Looking good! Can I request larger photos? They are a little small :)

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Great fish mate! I've got a big tank that I will be adding my Archers, silver scats, barra, sleepy cod and coal grunter to next week.

Can't wait to see another native set up. Lots of pics please. Good luck with it.

#4 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Looking good! Can I request larger photos? They are a little small :)

Resized the pics :)

#5 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

looking good, what a great score for 30 bucks.fair bit of effort but you can be proud of the results.father in laws effort looks great to!!

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Please tell me you put poly under the tank...

#7 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hey Werdna, for the base ontop of the wood it's got 20mil thick foam rubber for padding... But if your referring to leakage down the track after the test fill, I decided to re-seal again all the seams, best to be a little extra safe than sorry :)

#8 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Tank Pics Added,

Once I build the lid and get some more fish I will post some more

Fish1_zps3cf65a5a.jpg

fish3_zps650eb87f.jpg

fish2_zps3cd9c979.jpg

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hell Yeah! Nice work... 

Hey whats the go with the wood though? Has it been soaked and all that jazz? Its some seriously chunky wood, looks awesome! Ive been looking at those pics for about 10 mins now... Very cool!

#10 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Hey Malawiman,

Got the wood from my mates block up in Lancelin they were clearing the site loads of really good options... I've drilled with a 10cm whole saw I nice big hole for a plant to go in and then got stuck into it with 8mm holes through out and had it soaking in the kiddie pool for a month...

Been at it a few time with the kartcher as well getting rid of any thing loose ...

I was thinking of putting a amazon sword or something in the big hole and attach Java moss were I've got the 8mm dril holes, was even thinking of attaching some mussels to it ;)

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

I like the way you're thinking! Some unusual but great ideas.

I want to plant my tank but my stoopid scats will eat 'em all. How do you rate the salmon tails? I want to add some to my tank but might wait to see how they all go together first before adding more fish.

What size lei are you chasing?

#12 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

The salmon tail is great, I've had him about 2yrs they are awesome to watch swimming around the tank they really move like a shark... I've never had an issue with him harassing anything, he takes white bait from my hand. Not many around this year I got mine when he was 5cm he's close to 30cm now.

For a Saratoga lei, I'd be more what I can get in my budget around $120 ish so ill prolly get in touch with city barn when I sell my old setup and have the cash...

I will rethink the scat maybe if they are heavy plant eaters, maybe some rainbows and a grunter

#13 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

It's been a while since I last updated, some new pics :)

I've started working on the hood so will post a full tank shot soon

#14 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

That's looking fantastic

#15 MadDocker

MadDocker
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Love the archers. Out of interest, what is a good tank size for keeping archer fish? 6x2x2 minimum or can they happily & healthily be kept in something smaller?

#16 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Archers get bigger than most people think you could keep a few in a smaller tank but better off in a 6 foot + tank with compatible species like scats or monos.

#17 brenno71

brenno71
  • Committee

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Looks awesome mate good to see another diy 3d background i love how rewarding the finished product is

#18 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Very nice job. Love that cabinet.
TFS

#19 MattB

MattB
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hey All,

Well Finally finish the hood on the weekend mounted the LED unit inside... I painted the inside of the hood and sealed the surface so the water condensation doesn't effect the wood.

10367153_10152420919717419_4353420990677

I'm really stoked with how its all come together, Im putting in an order early next month and stocking up with some Rainbows and topping up the Gundgeons

All up I will have the following:

x5 Archers 

x2 Gold Spot Pleco

x2 Feather Fin

x1 Salmon Tail 

x5 Empire Gundgeon

x10 western rainbow - drysdale river

x10 chequred rainbow - mary river

#20 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

No lei..... :(

none the less well done, looks the goods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users