• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

Hi all,

First time poster - long time reader.
I have read through several posts on here and am quite overwhelmed with choices.
I am hoping for some direct help.
No judgement please.
I am in the middle of a messy divorce and it has re-sparked my love for my fish

I currently have a blue planet 140L aquarium that is challenging to keep clean.
Approx 3 years old, has a top mounted filter beneath the hood (i think this is called wet/dry filter?) and i have never changed the media - as i wasn't aware i had to! - i was just told to clean once a month by the shop i purchased it from in Malaga.
I asked if a secondary filter was necessary and was told no.
I have long wondered if it's not sufficient filtering as the tank gets dirty very quick, but the wool media (horrible stuff!) doesn't!?

Anyway I am wanting to upgrade to a 5ft 240L'ish tank BUT doing everything properly - this is where your guidance is appreciated!

So... what canister filter?
I have read and researched the heck out of most and it's down to Aqua one, Eheim and Fluval.
What is everyones vote and why?
I believe i need one that withe a min flow rate of about 1200 p/h but would prefer to purchase one up from that.
If I've learned anything it's that you can never over-filter.
Practicality is important (have heard of self-priming?)
And one that doesnt spill water everywhere when it's time to disconnect for cleans.
Don't want a rattler either.

I'd like to invest in the correct media also, i have yet to research what's good but bio is obviously important and I'd like your suggestions despite most cannisters being inclusive of media.
Are ceramic noodles all the same?
I have also ordered Purigen.

Yes - my red emperess doesn't look anything like it should :( See pics.
This poor bugger came back from the brink! He/she had sunk to the bottom for a few days, struggled to swim straight and i honestly thought it was a gonner.. but alas, still alive and swimming normally again - but definitely not happy and pale as a ghost.
All of my cichlids have fried fins which i suspect is due to the ammonia spikes they've probably had to deal with :(

Please help me!

I will do weekly water changes until i have the new filter and wait for the new tank to be cycled which i understand can take 2-4 weeks on average?

Look forward to your feedback - pls be kind!
f90cf6460de87188baab29bfd314d913.jpgd3e0cf8f7b9bb6b963e1a9afe589cb35.jpgca4cc1f3a6112ab98799b28ad597d562.jpg722fd42c8134ac01bb8ec396bca9b62b.jpg06320e6e9aba3d83752bde34c3401c4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

Just a bit to get started but congrats on the new tank! :)

I’ve always used aqua-one canister filters so can’t comment too much. I don’t mind them but don’t have automatic priming, etc. I only clean mine out once or twice a year (it’s a planted tank) so a little different as don’t need so many of the nice features.

Imo UV filters on canisters are a waste of space.

I’ve swapped the wool filters to fine sponge. Not quite as good to polish the water but heavily planted. I run a small internal filter that gets cleaned more often and is backup.

Once your tank is cycled (up to 2 months) and stable (say another few months) then the nitrifying bacteria tend to be more bullet proof. Just about any media will suit them - I no longer worry about which has best surface area.

#3 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:18 AM

Cant go past Eheim for quality if you don't mind the expense. Some of their high end filters also have the heater built into the head which tidies up the tank very nicely. I would always go for higher than what is actually required. Best bet would be to go and visit a LFS like Aquotix and speak to the staff there and look at their range and find one that best suits your requirements.

#4 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

Just a bit to get started but congrats on the new tank! :)

I’ve always used aqua-one canister filters so can’t comment too much. I don’t mind them but don’t have automatic priming, etc. I only clean mine out once or twice a year (it’s a planted tank) so a little different as don’t need so many of the nice features.

Imo UV filters on canisters are a waste of space.

I’ve swapped the wool filters to fine sponge. Not quite as good to polish the water but heavily planted. I run a small internal filter that gets cleaned more often and is backup.

Once your tank is cycled (up to 2 months) and stable (say another few months) then the nitrifying bacteria tend to be more bullet proof. Just about any media will suit them - I no longer worry about which has best surface area.

Cheers Delapool!

You've given me a few good suggestions there..

#5 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

Update:

While i awaited responses on here i reached out on fb and one guy that has experience (and an awesome setup) has given me advice.

I'm about to purchase a Susun 3000uv which I'm quite impressed with.
Easy enough priming, electronic controls to adjust flow and lots of media space.

However he's also trying to convert me into getting a sump - so will look into those as i dont know much about those - particularly how they're connected to the tank etc

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

Sump are great... if you have a reason to have a sump otherwise they take up room, can be a liability if you design them poorly or if glass cracks.
Sumps are perfect if you have lots of gear required to run your setup like a marine reef tank or very large freshwater tanks with higher bioloads.

#7 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Sump are great... if you have a reason to have a sump otherwise they take up room, can be a liability if you design them poorly or if glass cracks.
Sumps are perfect if you have lots of gear required to run your setup like a marine reef tank or very large freshwater tanks with higher bioloads.

What would you consider to be a very large freshwater setup?

Unsure wether to go down this route or just stick with my sunsun 3000

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

~ 1,000L

#9 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

~ 1,000L

Sorry i don't understand what that means..

I will have a 5ft tank. Approx 240L

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:03 AM

From about one thousand litres and up.
Only reason I’d put a sump on a small freshwater tank would be if I was going to overstock the tank and needed lots of media (and additional water to dilute nitrates).

#11 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

From about one thousand litres and up.
Only reason I’d put a sump on a small freshwater tank would be if I was going to overstock the tank and needed lots of media (and additional water to dilute nitrates).

Right ok..

I'm still not sure about how many i'll put in there yet.

Any ideas on how to hide hoses from the cannister to the tank?

Its going to form a room divider so will be seen from both sides.

Similar to this:08942674ec2f297241bd655fdf6ae5c4.jpg

#12 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:07 AM

Show us a photo of the actual tank. You could potentially put some kind of 3d rock background on the side facing the wall and hide the intake pipe behind it and have a spray bar at the top jetting across the surface.

#13 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Show us a photo of the actual tank. You could potentially put some kind of 3d rock background on the side facing the wall and hide the intake pipe behind it and have a spray bar at the top jetting across the surface.

There is no side facing the wall as it's a room divider.

There is no side facing the wall as it's a room divider.

Oh no, i see what you mean..
On the side wall where the cabinet wraps around.
I had thought of that too.

However I'm beginning to think a small sump might be essier for maintenance purposes

#14 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

Well youre screwed then if you want to run a canister with hidden pipes, unless you drill the tank for bulkhead fittings and plumb the canister up to them.

#15 Ms_Mermaid

Ms_Mermaid
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

Well youre screwed then if you want to run a canister with hidden pipes, unless you drill the tank for bulkhead fittings and plumb the canister up to them.

Or do the same with a small sump

#16 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

Yep that's another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users