Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Most Liked Content

#364240 In My Back Yard

Posted by Terry on 29 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

I found these 2 tortoises laying eggs in my back yard on Monday they were about 20 meters apart, there was another nest about 40 meters away but the bandicoots had already got at them. I covered both nests with wire crates for protection. The hatchlings will be able to get through the wire.Attached File  26112017a.jpg   290.67KB   13 downloadsAttached File  26112017b.JPG   160.18KB   13 downloadsAttached File  26112017c.JPG   223.87KB   12 downloadsAttached File  26112017d.JPG   310.23KB   12 downloads

#363404 A Visit To Morley 17/09/2017

Posted by Fox on 19 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

After seeing a lot of dead/dying/hybrid or deformed fish around my close vicinity LFS, Morley has become a firm favorite and a regular drop by on my break. (Aquotix & Vebas are the other 2 ;) but a little further away)

Paul always has some cool stuff in and is always helpful.
I dropped by on Sunday after some kayak action down the swan, I had a couple of Hoplarchus psittacus on hold and as I found out while I was there.... at a BARGAIN price... How could I resist.
I've never kept this species before but have always been intrigued.
Anyways, I quickly dropped my kayak at home and grabbed my camera and jumped on the bike and rode over to Morley.... When I got there I released in the rush I had forgotten my speedlght :( So I only got a couple of pics.
Next break I'll try for more.
Whilst I was there I overheard Paul talking to a new customer about filtration and remembered why I hate "supermarket" shops so much..
The right info and shows passion about the job he was doing.
Thanks Paul for the Hoplarchus psittacus & the other species Ive grabbed lately, Much appreciated.

Attached File  Yak.jpg   51.53KB   16 downloads

Mor%204_zpsrncbkzik.jpg

Mor%205_zpspcqgxaiq.jpg

Mor%206_zpslevaxxmo.jpg

Mor%207_zpscepndoe6.jpg

Mor%208_zpsypyictbo.jpg

Mor%209_zpsdeggfufm.jpg

Mor%2010_zpsncpzxxt1.jpg

Mor%2011_zpsnswesay4.jpg

Mor%2012_zpsnhoiltim.jpg

Mor%201_zps87pj7xzh.jpg

Mor%202_zpsfru1qnza.jpg

Mor%203_zpsfauftsd0.jpg

#350352 I May Be Unwell

Posted by chrishaigh82 on 09 March 2016 - 11:45 PM

I've kept fish before however never africans.  I may have caught the bug.

When I've kept fish at home I have never really had a lot of time to enjoy them due to work and "life".  This time around I've put a tank in my office (chiropractic/health clinic in canning vale), where I spend most of my time and I can enjoy them the most.  We did this when going through a full refit after going through the change of ownership and the thing I've been surprised at is how much our staff have taken on the fish as their pets and how much our patients love them all.  

I'll attach some pictures of the install of the main display tank with predominantly peacocks, the guys from Aquotix did an amazing job and Mattia keeps them all happy for us ever since.  

I'm amazed at how quickly they are all growing.

IMG_8988_1.jpg

IMG_9107.jpg

when first put in

IMG_8418_1.jpg

IMG_8417_1.jpg

IMG_8413_1.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

I also have a tropheus tank who will be joined soon by some new comers from germany very soon

IMG_8950.jpg

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

#358671 One Of Those Days . . . . .

Posted by humbug on 15 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Someone posted on one of the Facebook groups today about having one of those bad days that leaves you questioning why you keep fish. I know how he feels.  I’ve had a lot of those days lately. Too many other distractions in my life making it a struggle to find time to care for the fish properly, let alone to have time to sit back and enjoy them. A couple of equipment failures leading to the loss of important fish. A couple of experiences with hobbyists and industry that have left me wondering why the hell I bother . . . . . .

But then you have one of those good days, and it reaffirms why you keep plodding on. I’ve had one of those days today.

I’ve kept a lot of species over the years, but there are a couple which are particularly close to my heart. Lichnochromis acuticeps is one of those. If really pushed, I’d probably admit this is the species dearest to me.

Four years ago, they were a fish that I’d admired from photographs but never thought likely I’d keep. At that point, they had only been bred successfully a handful of times in this country. But in March 2013, some juvis became available and I grabbed 10. My “Holy Grail” then became to breed them myself.

A couple of disasters early on, and I lost half of the ten. I ended up with only two females from the remaining fish. Not a great start. They eventually bred in early 2015, and I kept the fry from that first brood. The adults have bred on a couple of occasions since, and gradually we have been getting juvis out so others can enjoy what I consider to be the ultimate Malawi hap.

So I’d reached my “Holy Grail”. But you know what I find even more rewarding than breeding a species for the first time? I get a HUGE buzz out of raising home-bred fish, watching them mature, and then breeding the next generation from them.

Today I stood in the fishroom in front of the tank containing the youngsters from my first Lichno brood. They are now 22 months of age. To my surprise and delight, I stood and watched a pair spawning for the very first time. The little male looks gorgeous in his newly acquired colours. The little female is plump and a picture of health. In the tank I spied another couple of girls which look ready to spawn as well. My heart sang.

Yep – as I said to this guy on Facebook earlier today, if this was all easy, and you never had those bad days, then days like today wouldn’t feel half as sweet. :)

#344843 10 X 2 X 2 Frontosa Tank Journal

Posted by kassysimon on 23 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi all.

So I got a little bored and saw all of these great journals and thought I’d get in on it too.

I had a 10x2x2 with two FX5’s running a high tech planted tank with CO2, auto dosing liquid fertilisers, auto water change and top up with PH, heating and lighting controlled via a Profilux aquarium computer.

I designed an area in the house a built to house this tank and time came to finally complete the project which meant building cabinets around the tank which sat on a metal stand in the living room so it was rather unsightly.

The tank looked like this  in its prime.

Attached File  After 3 (Large).jpg   71.14KB   62 downloads

Attached File  ind 4 (Large).jpg   101.08KB   53 downloads

Attached File  ind 5 (Large).jpg   114.86KB   53 downloads

Attached File  ind 6 (Large).jpg   124.64KB   50 downloads

Before stripping it down and selling off the plants, fish and gravel it looked like this.

Attached File  IMG_7843 (Large).JPG   90.32KB   55 downloads

I’ve been designing the cabinets and consulting with the cabinet maker for a few months and finally got all my requirements dialed in. The plan was for the final result to look something like this.

Attached File  1.jpg   9.84KB   51 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   8.06KB   47 downloads

The cabinets are built from Nema Board. A polymer waterproof (amongst many other things) product that can be worked like mdf. I chose this to be used in the carcasses only and then an HMRMDF for the doors and scribes.

I originally decided upon a sump as filtration but the return pump noise was of great concern seeing as the tank is in the living room so I opted to run the FX5’s again. I had Nick (aka Riggers) drill the required holes for me (which came out perfect) which I’m still using for the auto water change, auto top off and emergency overflow. 

A quick render of the sump.

Attached File  2.jpg   16.82KB   47 downloads

I moved the fish a wished to keep into a holding tank and the build began the build.

This was the area all cleaned out.

Attached File  IMG_7951 (Large).JPG   76.12KB   51 downloads

Attached File  IMG_7999 (Large).JPG   76.16KB   49 downloads

First the bottom cabs went in.

Attached File  IMG_8002 (Large).JPG   77.53KB   48 downloads

Then the full heights and over heads.

Attached File  IMG_8004 (Large).JPG   91.32KB   47 downloads

And then the carcasses were done...

Attached File  IMG_8005 (Large).JPG   92.69KB   46 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8011 (Large).JPG   80.64KB   46 downloads

Next came the doors and vuala!

A few little touch-ups and leveling off.....

Attached File  IMG_8022 (Large).JPG   63.47KB   46 downloads

Plumbing in the auto water change, top off and overflow came next. Room was left in the piping to allow me to integrate replacing water at water change time with conditioned water. But since I can ultimately change as much or as little water as I like at as many or few  intervals I decided to leave it for now as mains pressure water has served me well in the past so far.

Here is the sump installed.

Attached File  IMG_8037 (Large).JPG   80.73KB   50 downloads

But as mentioned the FX5's were used instead.

The plumbing for ATO and AWC with and emergency overflow.

Attached File  IMG_8069 (Large).JPG   46.21KB   54 downloads

I ran two 300w Jager heaters in the last setup and will be doing the same again, mostly for redundancy as water changes will be small but often. I ran them in-line to keep the tank looking clean. The FX5’s run into the heater manifold and then directly into the tank.

The two FX5’s plumbing was next which was just simply running pipes into the cabinets and making room for the two inline heaters.

I’ll be using Gin Gin river sand from Wangara Soils aint Soils as a substrate with granite and possibly schist stone as decorations and hiding places.

A trip to Wangara this weekend will see me well stocked and ready to start scaping the tank.

With that said ill post another update once scaping is complete.

#330360 Fish Are Enjoying Halloween :)

Posted by Michael the fish fanatic on 31 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

04a0a7d3dec9f7c83c06a2b6bc2abdef_zps59ed
8153395fa03935efa7aa8f2dfbb8a84f_zps0855
55fa6fd542bf6e0e915861a2b259a33c_zps2a67

#324273 Any Treasure Hunters Out There...

Posted by Westie on 12 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

I found a $2 coin at a local park on Sunday while going for a walk. Went to IGA and purchased a packet of biscuits with the find. Was pretty stoked

#314878 Rant!

Posted by TheTexasCichlidMasacre on 07 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Are you here to learn and share? if you are i Applaud you...

are you here to share a wealth of experience that you have gained? then thankyou

are you here to learn and then demoralise newbies once you think you know enough to be considered experienced? then i condemn you!

this is a place where people should not be afraid to post or ask for advice and if you are sick of answering the questions why are you here?

i for one will never stop helping new people....

i am proud of the knowledge i have gained from this place... but i dont confuse pride with arrogance ! but i know some do... 

if you need to take your meds before you answer questions then that might be better then slamming newbies :)

#304404 Massive Cherry Shrimp In Sw Rivers

Posted by Mr_docfish on 07 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

:ph34r:

FknHuge_zpsaa4032ad.jpg

#363115 Fish Room Shed Build

Posted by KurtFreitag on 29 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

New member here so id like to firstly say Hi.

I'm currently converting my shed into a fish room as my house simply doesn't have the space.

Spent the last two weeks on and off around work and 4 kids and this is the progress so far.

Still got the power to be terminated, plastering/painting, air con to be installed and flooring to be sealed and then I can move in the racks approximate tank count 31 not including the planned 6x 6ft tanks.

Going to be a busy month.

Attached File  20170824_201907.jpg   163.47KB   22 downloads

Attached File  20170828_170815.jpg   72.47KB   20 downloads

Attached File  20170828_170857.jpg   94.46KB   20 downloads

#358897 February Meeting - P.c.s. Auction

Posted by humbug on 22 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

. . . . and a BIG thank you from me to Andrew at Labyrinth, and Poncho, Mattia and Aquotix in WA (plus anyone else behind the scenes!), for making this folly possible. I'm sending fish from Adelaide to Perth . . . via Sydney :rolleyes:   Andrew has put himself out to house them for a week at the shop en route.  They fly to Perth on Wednesday, and then have to be handled and housed by the guys at Aquotix until the auction.  The logistics of this is insane!!!!  Thank you all so much for making this possible.  Hopefully it raises something for the Stuart Grant fund, and helps to get some of these rarer fish established in the west.

Please, please, please, dig deep for a good cause, and show support for these guys who do so much to keep your Society going.  I'm betting a lot of you take the Society, and its tireless workers, for granted.  You don't know how lucky you are to live in a state with an active group such as this!!!!

#359391 Snaps From Work

Posted by keleherr on 08 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Couple on snaps from a new gig in the NT

Attached Files

#356104 Discus Display Pics

Posted by hollis on 21 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

got off a few half decent phone pics the other night , just wanted to share

20161019_230052_zpsawdnpdls.jpg

20161019_230045_zpsgcfjvev7.jpg

20161008_151331_zpsjlblnubg.jpg

20161008_151505_zpsstzd7ovn.jpg

#354419 Fish Of The Month - Ctenochromis Horei

Posted by Stormfyre on 03 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

As the Fish of the Month for September, there will 2 lots of bags of 8 x of Ctenochromis horei available at the PCS Meeting for auction. These are special lots to raise money for Stuart Grant Fund for Cichlid Preservation and have kindly been donated by one of our PCS Members - Joel (Extend). Joel has also written this months FotM profile - 

horei%200.jpg

Ctenochromis horei

Ctenochromis horei is a medium to large cichlid from Lake Tanganyika and some of the lower reaches of the rivers that feed Tanginyika.  According to Pierre Brichard, C. horei was classed as Haplochromis horei in 1888 and later reviewed by P. H Greenwood in 1979 to become Ctenochromis horei.

Size

According to Ad Konings in back to nature guide to Tanginyikan cichlids, C. horei males reach 18-20cm and females 12-15cm.  

Classification

OrderPerciformes FamilyCichlidae

Distribution

C. hoeri are found throughout the lake and are also encountered in the rivers that feed into and out of Lake Tanginyika; river such as Lukuga River, Ruzizi River and Nua River.  C. horei are most often found lurking around vegetated habitats in shallow water between 1-2m but will also venture out to the open sand and around rocky areas close to their preferred aquatic plant hangouts.

Diet

Ctenochromis horei are omnivores and will eat plant matter, small fish and invertebrates.  In the aquarium they thrive on New Life Spectrum cichlid formula as a staple diet, baby guppies as treat but don’t seem to take much of an interest in frozen brine shrimp.  They eat lots and females that have just come off holding fry, should be fattened up before they are allowed to spawn again.

Maintenance

C. horei should be provided with a large tank, minimum 4x2x2ft (6x2x2 if other species of Tanginyikan cichlids are to be kept in the same tank) for a colony of 4 or 5 fish.  Fine, sandy substrate like playground sand, mixed with a small amount coral or aragonite sand (to buffer the water quality) is perfect. 

Water conditions for C. horei are similar to keeping most Tanginyikan cichlids i.e. pH 8.5-8.7 or higher say 9.0, 24-26 degrees celcius and a kH of 10-15 are ideal for these fish to thrive.

Being an aggressive fish by nature provide adequate rock work and caves for the females and non-dominant males.  If you can grow Vallisneria sp in the Tanginyikan tank, plant this and it not only makes a more natural habitat is provides extra cover and food for the fish.

Character

A conspecific aggressionist, meaning that you can keep C. horei with other species of Tanginyikan cichlids, as the males are only aggressive towards other males all the time and females at breeding time.  This being said, keep one male to 3 or 4 females; any other non-dominant male is harassed to the point of death or serious injury.  C. horei have been kept in a 6x2x2.5 along with Cyprichromis sp, Julidochromis sp and Synodontis sp, with the only harm being done to the other C.horei

Spawning

Maternal mouth brooder.  Males construct a bower in the sand (size depends on each individual male) or clear a place among aquatic plants to spawn.  There is a display, which consists of the male’s colour becoming brighter and short bursts of shaking in front of the female before getting down to business.

Notes

Ctenochromis horei is not a hugely popular aquarium fish due to its size and conspecific aggression. However the ease of care and breeding should ensure that those with little to moderate experience in cichlids should be able to keep and breed these fish with ease provided adequate cover and supervision is given.  Males, when fully coloured up are among the most striking fish in the lake; with their black face mask, bright yellow lower jaw, red and green spotted 10 bar flanks and bleeding heart spot under the pectoral fins, they really are a sight to behold.

The other fish that is a close relative is lobochilotes labiatus. A similar looking fish, with rather distended lips.

horei%201.jpg horei%202.jpg

Joel (Extend) took these two awesome pictures below himself of his livestock. Don't forget he has donated some of these great fish for you to bid on at the September Meeting. Learn about the fish and then own the fish. Funds raised go Cichlid Preservation.

pcs1.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

#351937 Finally Bred Wild Blue Zaire Frontosa

Posted by Pchmb on 09 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi all,

My name is Paul and I am a Biology Teacher that has been keeping fish on and off for the past 20 years. At the age of 14, I bought my first 4 foot tank. Over the next few years I breed Axolotls, Oscars and Guppies. I had large cattle troughs with Koi, Gambesia and Guppies. Moving up to Perth for university, I shared a house with 3 guys, who all studied aquaculture at Fremantle Maritime Tafe. Our house was full of tanks and I remember Anglefish, Oscars, and Convicts all being bred. You could also find Yabbies in our bathtub.

Last year I spent a bit of money keeping a 600L community Discus tank. Eventually I bred a beautiful pair, but was unsuccessful at raising the fry. My favourite fish in the tank were the Red Torpedo Barbs.

This year I decided to try my luck with Frontosa and it just happened that Rob's Aquarium were selling David's Wild Caught 6 Bar Frontosa (Moba, Kipilli- Zaire Blue...). I originally set up 3, five foot fish tanks with sump which was around 950L all up. The pump I used, 15000L/hr I discovered was just too much flow for my Frontosa. There was also too much movement, light and noise for them where I had this set up, so I moved them into my garage. The Frontosa now can be found in a 750L, 6 foot tank with all blacked out sides. This was a good move, with one of my Fronts spawning, however no success with the fry, with the mother soon consuming them. I have been monitoring and adjusting the water chemistry, and the advice from David was to have the kH at 7 and gH at 22. My levels are still a bit lower then this.

I am also keeping a community of Tropheus Debosi and Red Moliro, Leleupi, Synodontis Petricola, Black Calvus, Haplochromis of some type and some chocolate Plecos. Another community tank contains Electric Yellow Labs, Lithobates and Pseudotropheus Williamsi. Another tank contains Auloncara Stuartgranti Blue Neons and Albino C Moorii which are looking really healthy. Oh and I have another 5 foot tank full of Black Snakeskin Guppies that I bred from a single pair imported last year.

My goal this year is to convert the sunroom of my old asbestos house into a Fish Room and take all the tanks out from my garage. Obviously I have to figure out how best to insulate the room. I currently have around 20 tanks and would love to hook them all into one or two sump systems to reduce the energy consumption and make the water changing process more automated. Lots to figure out but kind of cool to research others systems.

I'm really excited to finally join the Perth Cichlid Community after reading so many of posts over all these years!

Attached Files

#351263 Updated Cichlid List

Posted by Aquotix Aquariums on 13 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hello everyone,

We have lots of new and rare species in stock, some are left from our German import, others from local and Eastern states breeders.

Come in for a look, here a "small" list of the exciting fish we have currently in stock.

Astatotilapia Nubila RARE worth breeding

Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Maulana "Lemon Jake"

Aulonocara Steveni 'Blue Neon

Aulonocara Stuartgranti Hongi Island

Aulonocara Stuartgranti Galileya Reef

Aulonocara Maulana "bicolour"

Aulonocara Maylandi

Aulonocara Rostratum RARE worth breeding

Callochromis Macrops Red Ndole RARE

Chilotilapia Rohadesii

Copadichromis Kandango

Cyatopharynx Furcifer Orange Cap Sibwesa RARE

Cynotilapia Afra Cobue

Cyphotilapia Frontosa Mpimbwe WILD CAUGHT

Cyprochromis Jumbo Tricolor

Cyprochromis Kiriza Black RARE worth breeding

Cyprochromis Jumbo Kitumba

Dimidiochormis Strigatus

Haplochromis Thereuterion (SUPER RARE!) worth breeding

Hemitaeniochromis Spilopterus Yellow (SUPER RARE!) worth breeding

Julidochromis Transcriptus KISSI ISLAND

Julidochromis Regani Kipili WC

Julidochromis Ornatus Yellow Zaire RARE

Labidochromis Nkhali

Lamprologus Ocellatus GOLD

Lethrinops Longipinnis

Lethrinops Red Capi Itungi Port (nice ones!) worth breeding

Melanochormis Chipokae

Melanochormis Johanjohnsonae

Metriaclima Zebra Sp. Long Pelvic

Metriaclima Pulpican

Naevochromis Chrysogaster

Neolamprologus Buesheri Kachese "Blue" RARE

Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus Orange fins

Neolamprologus Cylindricus

Neolamprologus Hecqui

Neolamprologus Leleupi Yellow

Neolamprologus Tetracanthus

Nimbochromis Polistigma

Otopharynx Lithobates Z.R.

Otopharynx sp Sani Spot

Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis

Placidochromis Phoenochilus Tanzania

Placidochromis MDOKA "White Lips" RARE worth breeding

Placidochromis Milomo VC10

Protomelas Spinolotus Tanzania

Protomelas Taeniolatus Namalenje Island (rare, super RED!) worth breeding

Pseudotropheus Aceii Msuli

Pseudotropheus Aceii Ngara

Pseudotropheus Perspicax

Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Pseudotropheus Williamsi Blue Lips

Spathodus Erythrodon Kabezi Wild Caught

Steatocranus Casuarius

Stigmatochromis Pleurospilus

Synodontys Petricola

Synodontys Ocellifer

Synodontys Multipunctatus Wild Caught

Synodontys Ilebrevis

Tropheus Annectens kekese

Tropheus Duboisi

Tropheus Duboisi STARDUST

Tropheus Kiriza

Tropheus Moliro "Super Red" worth breeding

Tropheus Red Rainbow

Paratilapia Polleni

Parachromis Freidrichenstalii

Nicaraguensis (Parrot Cichlid)

Topaz cichlid

Vjeja Blue Zonatus

Vjeja Synspillum

Mesonauta Insignis (Festivum)

Cuban cichlid RARE

Sajica "T-Bar cichlid"

Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis Bimaculatus)

Ellioti

Keyhole

Celebes Rainbow

Madagascar Rainbow

and much much more..... :)

#341025 Welcome Aquarium Gallery Perth

Posted by Aquarium Gallery on 29 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi Rovik,

Thanks for the welcome and your help with getting us on board, we are happy to join this fish community and look forward to meeting people in store. i have posted some updated pics of the store

image.jpg4_zpsrkle8gjz.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsbpoyl2ci.jpg

image.jpg2_zps8uwqkupo.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsddkfgfed.jpg

image.jpg6_zpspy71iatl.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsusbznz5o.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsmquu1dra.jpg

image.jpg7_zpsd4vpeqyu.jpg

#324291 Well...... I'm Engaged.

Posted by Cam85 on 12 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hey guys and girls,

Been going out with my girlfriend for just over 6 years and thought it was time to pop the question. She said YES!!! Im so totally happy right now.

cheers for reading

Cam

#355952 Lamprichthys Tanganicanus - Tanganyikan Killifish

Posted by Ronny on 16 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Better pic after I transferred them to the Ziss box :) 

DSC_2435_zpsmywlj8zn.jpg

#338572 My 8X3X2.5Ft Tank With 6X2X2 Sump Build

Posted by MattyB on 06 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hey everyone, been a long long time since I have been on here so I thought it was about time for a update. quick run down, after a lot of thought I decided to shut down most my tanks and ibcs, sell everything for the one tank, and of course go all out. so here is the build start to finish (haven't 100 percent finished yet) 

first of all. I got a 8x3x2.5ft tank late last year, main reason for building this tank is so I can finally have rays. due to there upkeep and the fact they create so much ammonia I decided to use one of my old 6x2x2 tanks as my sump. so that's exactly what I did. here is a few pics of the sump building process. first section 2x2x2 for a fluidized bed with k1. atm I have 30L of k1 but in the future I will put more in. than goes into sponge section, than to dry section of sump, than to heaters. last thing a 9000LPH laguna pumping up into the main tank with a large 3ft long spray bar that I built. here are some pics

20141117_174126_zps51df1fc9.jpg

20141121_151901_zpsewzgidjn.jpg

20141130_103131_zps4lsocrab.jpg

ignore the background I was making, in the end I scrapped that idea

20150411_071451_zpssfdbhuyc.jpg

first vid is when I first got it running, k1 aint fluidized properly yet, second vid is when sump was more mature. still having got anything in dry section of sump but I will one day lol

https://www.youtube....h?v=bMfzCjwpI9Q

https://www.youtube....h?v=WMvlmW8hD0k

next me and my brother (cabnet/furniture maker) decided to build a wrap around stand. I wanted a tall head cabnet so than I have plenty of room to clean inside the tank and so I could mount my 120w led lighting. I wanted a wow factor so I went for the modern look of high gloss white, rhs of tank opened so can see the tank side on from my kitchen, than the other side blocked off for a large cupboard where I can store all my fish gear,  hide all the bulk heads with easy access. here are some pics

Cupboard and frame of hood getting built 

received_10153267066517430_zpsjmpgndfk.j

hood on, cutting out holes in cuboard for plumbing to be accessable

20150425_115912_zps3addrc4n.jpg

cupboard and some doors on, still had to adjust doors

20150425_152045_zpsnayydaz0.jpg

amost done, still have to put some strips in on rhs and do all the kickers

20150427_143027_zpspcmgakki.jpg

20150427_143955_zpsw6rtxo9e.jpg

20150427_174252_zpsgnhinxzh.jpg

20150427_174427_zps2gpjvpzq.jpg

20150427_143723_zps3ypeyhrt.jpg

20150427_143027_zpspcmgakki.jpg

this is what I am at so far, stocking so far is a 55cm jardini, 25-30cm bala shark and a 25cm motoro ray. still looking for more larger fish to stock with so if you do have anything please let me know.

next prefect is decking out the inside. I decided to go a gin gin quart for substrate. its fine but not as fine as your normal play sand, I like it as it has different size grans in it. next I will going for some large pieces of drift wood with some leaves etc for some aquascaping.