Photo

Large Jump In Food Consumption For A Leichardi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gangus

gangus
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

My saratoga has just had a massive jump in food consumption.

It has got to about 12cm long, really healthy and lively.

I have been feeding the floating high protein aquaculture food.

It gets 2 feeds a day, with 9-12 pellets at each sitting.  It used to "chew" each one prior to swallowing.

In the last week it has started engulfing 4+ pellets before swallowing and would eat around 20 per sitting, also picking up a 3rd feed at lunch of 10+ pellets.

I would comfortably estimate consumption has increased +50-75%...

Has anyone else growing these things out noticed a huge jump in metabolism at this size?

I have read that the african black arowana generally dies in captivity at this size due to requiring 5+ feeds a day at this age.

It has caught my surprise as I haven't come across another fish that has changed is feeding needs virtually overnight instead of following a linear pattern.

Attached Files

Edited by gangus, 17 March 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Goodness that’s a lot! No knowledge, just wondering if it times in with something that would happen naturally (their food source goes gang-busters in wild or something).

#3 gangus

gangus
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

It has caught me out, but i am curious if others have had the same experience

#4 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Interesting observation! 

I don't suppose you saw the program on ABC this week that spoke about human growth and how we go through phases in our life with the stockpiling of energy in the body to help in certain phases of development.  I guess there's no reason to think that similar things wouldn't be happening in other living creatures.  

• ice likes this

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:49 AM

It could just be that turning point - where the fish has gained some strength from the food and settled in and now 100% knows that the pellets are food. The chewing is a dead give away that the fish is still unsure about the pellet/feed. See it all the time with tank busters and particularly rays, can really pin point when they turn the corner and will go from strength to strength with feeding response and growth. 

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

or just be bigger mouth syndrome.... bigger fish gets , more it eats , murray cod is prime example 

• ice likes this

#7 aquaholic99

aquaholic99
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

As with most predatory fish, they are oportunistic feeders. Although you feed it everyday, it is hard wired to hunt and eat whenever opportunity presents as in the wild, it could be days or weeks before the next feed. So it is eating instinctively. However just because food is being consumed doesn't mean it is being utilised. A lot of food will pass undigested in the poo. And having it chew or being unsure of swallowing is an indication you are over feeding.

Yes fast growth is possible. Shorter life span is generally correlated to fast growth. Temperature and daylength can be used to manipulate feeding and growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users