Photo

Pigmy Perch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

I caught up about 50 yesterday and there was only one that was a definite female showing the blue colour.  The rest were black and gold though there were a few much lighter but they still looked like males.  Could this be right - seems most unlikley.  I've heard of ph having a major impact on the sex produced of other fish.  Anyone have any ideas if this could be right or if anything I can do to get more females.  thanks mal

#2 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Gday Mal, i dont have much experience with these so i just rang a mate who has had a small colony in a little pond for 8 years {vic park area] His belief,observations is that its a couple months to soon to see any colouring up or breeding activities. Im guessing you have bred them up to these numbers so would be hard to imagine you dont have a mix.If you have success and end up with a surplus and would consider trading for any rosy barbs[ outdoor bred and raised ] blonde endlers or bn juvies [ not outdoors] shoot me a pm. cheers shayne

#3 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

hey thanks Shayne - I've kept them in a 3500ltr pond for about 3 years and I started with 20 - also have maybe another 20 spread around in other ponds.  From what I have read they only live 12 to 18 mths so would like about double eg 100 before I sold any.  Aquarium City in I think Inglewood often had some and that is where mine were brought.  In the other smaller tanks say about 200lts they only maintain the original numbers but I haven't feed them much either.  With a torch I can see that one tank has much more smaller ones than large.  But I will keep this msg for if I decided to sell some.  cheers Mal ps I've lost every other fish a few weeks ago with the cold.  They seem ok down to 5c but the water got down to 3c and wiped the lot except the Pigmy's and from what I can gather I didn't loose one of them.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:14 PM

Fish and lily farms $6 each.

#5 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:35 AM

Pygmys are very cold tolerant and will breed like rabbits if given the room and opportunity, probably the best fish for mosquito control that we have in WA and bloody great for outdoor ponds. Its a shame they aren't beautiful to view from the top. I used to keep them in an aquarium many years ago, very interesting fish to watch!

#6 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

agree with ice, i had a small colony in a pond, came home to find it kicked in/trashed, the result i believe of telling some local punks/shxxheads to pull their heads in.Saved 1 from the mud put him in a tank and yea some character, more comfortable/interactive than i expected, will be getting some more for my outdoor efforts. Bummer about your losses Malbone, what were they? iv had ice/frost here twice this year and barbs,danios, white clouds and shrimp survived, albiet all but the barbs had some minor protection from the patio.Oh and a tandanus but again under the patio [uninsulated] I didnt check the temps though.

#7 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

I lost all swords, platies when the water temp got down to 3c - I have 2 large Tandanus Tandanus and one got 2 large blisters so I put them in a heated tank with heaps of salt in 3 weeks it was looking great so I dropped one in each of my Cichlid tanks - that was about 6 weeks ago and they look great still and I will put them back outside in the 600ltr tank when the water is back up to 18c upwards - pity there isn't a large heater cheap to run as that is a triple tank system holding 1000lts - maybe it could run off a solar panel but over winter it would have to be big and then o/night would be a problem - how the these fish survive in the wild is a mystery to me - from what I can tell I haven't lost any Pygmy Perch at all.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users