Photo

Our First Aquaponics System

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

Agreed. IMO Ike Jime if perform correctly is the most humane way to cull a fish, as the fish would go from flapping around to limb (dead) the moment the blade reaches the brain. Albeit, you will need to move the blade from side to side to get all the brain tissue.

I have tried other methods and found that although the fish looked dead, minutes later it jumped up again. Hence I decided to stick with Ike Jime.

#42 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Ivan Sng @ Nov 8 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Albeit, you will need to move the blade from side to side to get all the brain tissue.

Well this is the reason I believe it's not the quickest method, doesn't always work first go "move the blade from side to side" takes time.. you can't call that instant. Practice.. how many times have you done it where the fish didn't die instantaneously, fish moving about and you miss first time?

I've used all the methods and for killing trout, the hard belt on the head with wood is far superior. Just give it a shot next time, see how you go, I think you'll be surprised.

#43 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

But then Ike Jime is meant to draw the fish's blood out of the flesh and into the gut cavity (presumably via a neural reflex) which gives a cleaner and better tasting flesh

#44 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Can't you use both? Knock the fish out with a blow to the head, then kill it with the knife?

#45 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

clove oil + brain spike seems popular also

#46 alex101

alex101
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

i just get the fish in a net and wack it on the head on a wall or something they die instantly same with a peice of wood

#47 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Tarpon @ Nov 8 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But then Ike Jime is meant to draw the fish's blood out of the flesh and into the gut cavity (presumably via a neural reflex) which gives a cleaner and better tasting flesh

Hence it is one of the reason why I chose to use this method. If you have actually briefly tried to read/comprehend Japanese, you will realise that the word "Ike Jime" is a Japanese word. And in terms of fish preparation, I would think the Japanese has got that covered really well.

#48 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

Took the plunge... got some barra few days ago. I blame you ivan!

#49 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Well that's alright... I will take the blame as long as it helps you to become more self-sustaining by growing your own food.

#50 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Lol if it turns out well I reckon you owe Ivan a barra wink.gif

#51 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

you should put up your new AP system!

#52 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Sorry guys for the lack of update. Have been really busy and don't spend too much time on the forum these days...

Well sweet corn is going crazy. Peaches were good... (already processed through the body)... Melons growing up the trellis... Barra eating...

Attached Files

#53 thefishdummy

thefishdummy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hello people,

Hows everyone doing? Long time no c eh? lol

#54 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

I just realised that I have not posted in my thread for a very long time... Well I can't have Mattt taking all the glory... A little competition is good... So here's my update...

Took out 4 trout two weekends ago, filleted them and prepare dinner...

Attached Files

Edited by Ivan Sng, 07 September 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#55 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Ivan Sng @ Sep 8 2011, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just realised that I have not posted in my thread for a very long time... Well I can't have Mattt taking all the glory... A little competition is good... So here's my update...

Took out 4 trout two weekends ago, filleted them and prepare dinner...

Yum, whats the recipe, trout almondine?

#56 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yap, trout almondine or at least one variant of it...

#57 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

i tried to fillet 1 trout, failed miserably! so i dont bother now haha, the bones are so fine i just cut through them! sad.gif

#58 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ill teach you matty.

#59 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

Mattt, I understand what you mean... Filleting trout is not as straightforward as some fish. They have really fine bones near the front end of the body. I found it easier to fillet barramundi, but maybe also because the barramundi I had fillet were bigger as well, so you could be more generous with the blade leaving more left-overs compared to filleting an already pretty small fish...

I hope to get my fish to 600-700grms by Nov/Dec. So hopefully filletting them then would be easier... Trout make pretty good battered fish because they have a fair bit of oil in them that makes the meat juicy in the batter.

#60 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

yeah i'm used to running the blade along the bones. show me another way how icey. by the way i liked the pvc canopy thing so much i'm making one this weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users