Fish Farms?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

hey guys,

just feel like looking around at pond places.
Anybody know anygood fish farms around Perth?

ive been to Woodvale Fish and Lily farm, but any others?

cheers
Joe

#2 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Golden ponds mundijong Rd , it's ok not too flash but

#3 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

What fish are you after?

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

I think there is one in the swan valley area

#5 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

not after any particular fish,
just like to have a look around smile.gif

#6 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

G'day Joey,

maybe you could get a 'tour' organised at Freo Tafe Aquaculture Section.....somehow.??

just a thought

cheers

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm sure cranky old Tony would love that!

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

I was doing a course at challenger freo last week, met someone from aquaculture course
Sounds very interesting what they do there
Wasn't able to look at it though sad.gif

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

I did cert4 in aquaculture at Tafe in 2006. Very basic and boring course. A lot of learning about filtration and water chemistry. I found it far too basic and not very stimulating at all. Put it this way, I finished my cert4 and decided to go to uni rather then continue on to the diploma of aquaculture at tafe because I found it to be a BIG waste of valuable time. I thought that they could have condensed the whole course into 6weeks rather than a full year.

Edited by Peckoltia, 31 July 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#10 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

I did the same but back in 2004, had "cranky old tony" as a lecturer haha. Gotta say I agree though, wasn't all that stimulating nor did it really inspire me to take up a career in aquaculture or marine science. Still, the hatchery is an interesting place to go for a look!

Edited by ice, 31 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#11 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Bit hard to be inspired for a possible career choice when your lecturers are basically telling you that you wont get a job, or if you do it will be a hell hole. Massive waste of time.

#12 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I reckon, I actually got offered a couple but the pay was so abysmal I ended up going and getting a trade haha.

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

the guy I met last week that is doing that tafe course is from Africa, and was doing the course as he lives near Lake Tanganyika and wanted to learn something here before setting up his own operation back home. Would be a worthwhile course for him

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Jason82 @ Aug 1 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the guy I met last week that is doing that tafe course is from Africa, and was doing the course as he lives near Lake Tanganyika and wanted to learn something here before setting up his own operation back home. Would be a worthwhile course for him

Had a guy from zambia when i was doing my course... Similar deal. He now studies over east. He went on to the diploma the following year after cert4. It really isn't a worthwhile course for anyone.

#15 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

if it's no good, then why do they run it? waste of money in that case

#16 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Not one person I did the course with went onto use it to get a job, nor have I met anyone who has done the course(s) who has used them to gain employment. I'm not sure why they run the course the way they do. Most of the teaching staff were great, just the course itself was no-good at all.

Back on topic,the hatchery itself might be a good place to visit if you have never seen how an aquaculture facility is run. Just don't put ya fingers in the yellow tail king fish tank!

#17 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Jason82 @ Aug 1 2011, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Guys
I am doing the diploma of Aquaculture at the moment, i agree that the certificate is pretty basic and easy but the diploma is alot harder, mind you it does mainly focus on food fish rather then the aquarium trade and with alot of emphasis on the business and management side of it.
Im mainly just using it to get into a good uni course for aquaculture hopefully James Cook in townsville which does some REALLY good courses.
Ps, the guy from africa that you are talking about was showing me photos of his pet crocodile he used to have in a pond out the back of his house, untill it got too big and he had to give it away!

Also Jason, if you were interested in doing the course i am sure they would take you on a tour of the hatchery to check it out.

Lachy

Edited by Lachy, 02 August 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#18 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

i completed a course at challenger tafe that was a bit more complex than aquaculture. completed the Diploma of Marine Studies there in 08. tony is still cranky, we got him to laugh a couple of times though.
did the aquaculture cert 3 at school.lol

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Muzzybear- what do you do for work now? If you don't mind me asking.

#20 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

i work for the Water Corporation as a trainee currently at Mundaring Weir, so i contribute to the water testing and maintenence of the grounds. there is to much stuff at the dam to list.lol our dam supplies water from here to Kalgoorlie and everywhere in between
Joshua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users