Koi In Aquaponics?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sergio

Sergio
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi

Has anyone tried breeding koi in aquaponics?
If so, any tips on how to get this going?

Planning on eventually setting it up in a 3000L plastic tank. Maybe 4000...

Cheers

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Mine arent old enough to breed, but I still have quite a few in there.
Dont you use a spawning mop to breed them?
I cant see why you couldnt

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

I think the Koi breeders put the female in a separate spawning pool with a few males when she is in season, around spring and then remove the parents afterwards as they eat their eggs. cheers Steve

#4 Sergio

Sergio
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeh I've heard of that too...
So i can keep a bunch of koi in the aquaponics pond until they show signs of breeding then i'll move the female and a few males to a separate pond and wait for the magic to happen.

Cheers

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Yep thats the best way if you want to breed them. Not exactly sure how big or mature they have to be but i would assume a reasonable size and age. Koi can get to over a meter and live many decades so i'd think around the foot mark.

#6 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

hi guys,koi are good to breed around three years old although some breed sooner and later,but be careful they should have enough room for the males to chase the females so she can spread her eggs out nicely and in turn the males should be able to fertilize the eggs properly,if they're too confined the females eggs can clump abit too much and you can end up with mongrels and more deformaties. alot of the members that breed koi in the wa koi society use spawning brushes,but you can use different items, i have used mops , nylon rope cut a little to unwind into strands hanging off the main line ,even shade cloth cut into strips almost all the way down and then weighted down with the strips resembling reeds floating vertically.

if you can do a breeding pond about 3 to 4 mtrs long x about 1.5 to 2 mtrs wide and around 400 to 500 deep,that should do you fine enough,not too deep because then the female has too much room too get away,resulting in less success. in saying all this ,i'm not a pro,but it has worked for me most times.

thanks for reading ,just thought my little bit could help,
cheers,
Con.

#7 Sergio

Sergio
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the info mate! Much appreciated.
Will give it a bit more thought before getting into this!
Do you think a 3000 or 4000 litre circular plastic fish tank is appropriate for this? Ratehr than constructing ponds... im thinking of having two of these (one for the aquaponics and the other for spawning and growing out fish in...)

Cheers

#8 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

yes,some people use this option as well,should not be a prob at all,give us a call,if you need some info, 0412 095 615 cheers,
con

#9 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Best time to spawn is early November when you have a constant level of tempreture above 22 degrees,be careful of tempreture spikes as you will lose them,also breeding in aquaponics make sure your filtration can handle ammonia levels as this can also wreck the spawn ,big fish can spawn 10s of thousands of eggs,daily water changes and good filtration is the key,also cull deformed fish and ones you don't want,I put mine in a blender and use it on my plants,I can show you how to spawn,as I'm setting one up for this weekend,come over and check it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users