Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Is There Such A Thing As A Big And Quiet Filter?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I want to get people's opinion on this forum as to whether there is such a thing as a big filter that runs quiet?
I want a canister filter that can filter a 6x2x2 and I don't hear it running at night time, as the tank is in the room next to my bed.
Can I get some recommendations? Even if it means running 2 canisters on the one tank?

Thanks

#2 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Eheim pro3 2080

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

What he ^^^ said. I have one and brilliant. The best aquarium canister on the market. And the 2180 Is the same filter but with a built in 500W heater.

I also had a pond canister with an eheim compact 3000 pushing it and that was completly silent you could put your head next to it and no hear a thing. Wish I still had it smile.gif

#4 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

I have a big Otto cannister. A PF450G. Makes my Eheim classics sound like Harleys.

Failing that, as heat buildup is not such a prob in filters, you could always wrap it in something to muffle the sound.

#5 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Aug 13 2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eheim pro3 2080

+1

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

i love the sound of fishtanks... bubbling water.... puts me to sleep!!!

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

ok thanks guys. I'll get the price of the 2080 and might come visit you ray to have a listen to your canister

#8 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

my FX5 is fairly silent, and so is my aqua one 2400

#9 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Ive got a 2180 and the thing makes absolutely no sound at all except for a very very slight buzzing when the heater kicks in. The sound of the spray bar on the surface is what makes all the noise but thats easily fixed by wacking it below water level.

You cant go wrong with a 2080 mate they are seriously bloody good. Saw them at aquotix the other day for around the $1000 mark with media. 10% discount and youre laughing.

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wow thats a lot of coin for a filter! I'm got some advice from another forum as well, as I posed a similar question last night, and I might clean the filter I have, as well as change the fluval sponges with some new ones. Failing that, I might replace the impellar and see if that quietens it down. And then if that doesn't help, I'll have to purchase a 2080 or something similar. What about the biggest eheim classic filter? Are they any good? The 1500XL?

Edited by Jason82, 14 August 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#11 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

The biggest classic style is the 2260 it's huge. Not many getting around though. Do you really want to spent $$ buying new parts for your FX5 when you could put it toward a 2080 smile.gifsmile.gif

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'd rather a 2080, but I don't want to sell a kidney to buy one. smile.gif
Did u buy your 2080 new?

#13 chen

chen
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

If you can try get new one is better .you don't need warry about second hand filter problem i .have 7 ehiem pro and 6 or 7 calssic running now and 2 of the them is 2080.they are silent filter you can get . I have G6 filter too but ehiem more quiet . The aqua one is ok just flow will slow down when you don't clean offen.

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thanks chen for the advice. Well it looks like I'm gonna start saving my pennies for a 2080

#15 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

We have an FX5 running on our 6x2x2. Never had a problem with it and we've had it for 5 years. Does a great job and the only time we hear it, is when it turns itself on and off once a day to expel an air and that's just the smallest sound over in seconds.

#16 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

It seems to be the impellar. I emailed the pet store that I bought it from, and they responded with "we don't sell fluval any more, and the warranty doesn't cover moving parts i.e.: the impellar"

#17 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Where did you buy it mate ?

#18 benji_155

benji_155
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Mate of mine has got an FX5 for his 8x2x2.5 and it is extremeley quiet and does an awesome job. First time i saw it I didnt even know it was running its that quiet.

Can get them cheaper online aswell if last resort.

#19 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

you can get impellors from ebay etc from america cheap as chips, postage is also cheap. Check for sand and grit in the bottom of the filter with all the baskets out. Mine and a few of my mates who also have FX5's who are also on PCS have FX5's and swear by them and they are silent!!!!!
ehiem are good quality filters, but you can pay a pretty dime for them, and yet i feel that every ehiem i have had the flow rate seems to decrease over time, pecoltia on here has had one for 15 years still going strong but they just dont make them like that any more......the FX5 is the flagship for fluval IMO, the G series are just a load of wank.

$450 - $500 isnt a massive price to pay for an FX5 considering its media quantity and flow rate, if you can get it silent again it would be worth your while. I have read of other people with FX5's having noise problems, some people cleaned there lines and that solved the problem, with the ribbed hoses and any growth on the inside, due to the mass flow rate it can make a noise .

Edited by Hypanheaven, 20 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#20 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

I turned the aquastop valves down to 75% and the sound stopped. This slows the flow rate, but made the filter whisper quiet. I enquired on the price of a new impellar, and it's $130. I emptied the canister and there was a bit of the substrate in the bottom (crushed coral). I got the small amount of substrate out of the filter, and replaced the sponges, as well as putting media pads in the trays too. I also managed to fit another litre of Eheim Substrat media in the canister too. It's definately quieter now. I still want to get a new eheim filter, but won't be able to get one for a while. This time of year sucks with all the house bills coming in.

Also, it's really surprising how easy it was to clean this filter. See how I go for a while. Any more sleepless nights though, and I'll be putting an eheim on the credit card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users