Photo

Tank Cracks, What To Do! Help.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hey mate my 6x2x2 had a patch on the bottom when I got it 4 years later and been moved more times then I care to remember and still fine.
First things first so you dont forget go to austal insulation in Malaga and get some free styrofoam skins ( I would go 20mm thick might take afew skins)
Next build a stand that is flat,level and ofcourse will support the weight (if you need some advice feel free to ask) then I would add a. 20mm marine ply board ontop of the stand for the foam to sit on
Third get a piece of glass cut that is more then big enough to cover the whole crack I'd cut it the internal width of your tank and atleast the same thickness as your tanks bottom. Make sure you have the correct silicone not just any bathroom silicone ( I don't have any left and can't remember what it's called think its. V10 or something like that)
Fourth would be to put plenty of silicone on the patch piece and I mean alot !! When you put it in place and rub it in you don't want any air bubbles under it. Once you have done that put a nice thick bead all the way around the edge of the patch piece I use my finger to give a nice round... While your at it better off re silicone the hole tank aswell .Let cure for a minimum of 48 hours but the longer the better
Last thing is to lay a old thin bed sheet (I find light blue works good ) over the stand with the foam on then position the tank on top fill roughly 1/3 or 1/2 way and let sit for a couple hours . If there is a leak you should see the sheet is wet as there will be a dark patch. If no leak keep repeating this process until full and then I would leave it full for a week or so just to be safe if all good drain the tank put into position in your house and hope to god you will never have the thought " I knew I should have just bought a new tank" lol

Edited by Bickley, 11 June 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#22 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Alright cheers mate! The problem is going to be covering the crack as it starts in the centre but goes all the way to the sides of the tank... so im going to have to get a peice of glass that will insert perfectly in the width of the tank....get what i mean, like the tank is 36cm or so wide so ill have to find a 33-34cm wide x 90 cm long peice of glass. Once i have that i will give it a crack, Is there anything i can put under the tank to stop the water from the leak from going anywhere? Like a perfectly flat waterproof stand to sit on...for a backup? idk aha im just thinking ideas.

But yeah ill give it all a shot.

#23 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Haha wouldn't that be great a stand that stops cracks leaking lol unless you can put a stand that would hold 680 liters of water under it I think your out of luck... Only option would be put a empty 6 footer under it to catch the bulk of the water if it gives way lol
I'm not sure if a patch would brace it then if its cracked all the way to the edge of the bottom ... I would get an experts opinion on that as I don't want to be responsible for saying it will work

#24 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

just look at the photos, it goes to the side , and its not just one of the cracks that does its like 4 of them: arhh, ohwell ill give it a shot anyway

#25 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah on a iPhone mate with a dusty hard cover on can't really see the pics very well lol

#26 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

Best bet is to replace the entire bottom.

#27 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

When patching make sure all the cracks have reached an edge so the crack has finished it's travel. Use a lot of silicon and that the glass patch covers more then just the crack. I have patched 5 tanks now and not one has leaked.
You buy the stuff and a carton and il do it for ya.

#28 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

hahah ill give it a shot myself first. But if you can find the glass for it that would be awesome, its got to be around 90cm x 34-35cm. arhh

#29 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

When patching make sure all the cracks have reached an edge so the crack has finished it's travel.

Hmmm never heard that before but kinda makes sense when you think about it...

#30 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hey guys have you tried pesrspexs or however it's spelt. My boss said to just get some cut and use that

#31 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Silicone doesn't stick to Perspex very well.

You need to use glass

#32 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ahh okay, unless there is something that sticks to glass and perspex, as good?

#33 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Glass patch is the easiest, cheapest and safest method besides replacing the bottom completely mate. If getting the glass is to hard for you try posting a WTB add in the classifieds mate for a piece of glass roughly the size you need I'm sure someone will have a broken tank or bit of glass laying around they will give you.. Cutting it is easy enough just go to bunnings and buy a glass cutter there roughly $20 and a cheap sharpening stone.score and snap the glass then take the sharp edge off with the sharpening stone

#34 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hmmm never heard that before but kinda makes sense when you think about it...

If the crack hasent ended how will you know it won't go through a part that isn't patched.

Sand paper is cheaper then a sharpening stone to round edges off.

#35 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yeah as i said makes sense when you think about it.... Just can't say I ever thought about it lol Guess i did what a good grasshopper does and followed "The DIY Kings" instructions lol Didn't really want to recommend sandpaper incase someone slices there hand trying to do it by hand :)
But back on topic how you traveling mate ? If your not very hands on with things I would take Bowdy up on his offer defiantly cheaper then flooding your house because you didn't do it right :)

#36 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

If you are going to attempt to cut the glass yourself, dip the cutter in Kero before every cut.
And don't leave the score very long before snapping.

Yet another diy article that should be on this forum somewhere...

#37 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I should be fine... Old mans very hands on aswell with so much different trades, plus he gets free silicone some how hahaha. Im just looking for the glass atm. Though i may have found a peice . Need to measure it, but i need to get of my ass and move the tank somewhere it can dry out and not get wet when it rains..

#38 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Aquarium silicone is cheap, maybe $7 at Bunnings.
If the free stuff isn't aquarium safe, don't use it, it will cost you more than the $7 saving if all your fish die

#39 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

does it matter for the underside of the glass that not supposed to come in contact with the water?

#40 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Its $7 for a tube. If it worth the risk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users