Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

tropheus's Content

There have been 31 items by tropheus (Search limited from 25-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#362832 Malawi Baby Cichlid Exercise

Posted by tropheus on 02 August 2017 - 05:51 PM in Articles

http://www.sciencema...ape-their-faces
Our little friends have found a place in the science community lol
Interesting article though [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#361953 Fluval Chi's $1 On Ebay, Fluval 106's $1

Posted by tropheus on 31 May 2017 - 10:53 PM in Classifieds

Hi to everybody on this forum, 

Just letting you know that Petstock on ebay is having a clearance on their stock. It looks like they are closing down or writing off some of their stock. 500 Fluval Edge's have sold over the last few hours for $1...There is over 200 Fluval chi's, Over 300 Fluval 106 filters, over 400 Aqua One - Reflex Nano - 26 Litre, over 500 seachem flourish all going for $1...Postage is $4.95 for the first item and free for each additional item. If you buy multiple items then the rest of your purchases have free postage....There are many, many more items.....Including Pet food etc.

http://www.ebay.com....CoAAOSwn-tZLnSi

http://www.ebay.com....FQAAOSwlY1ZLnSi

http://www.ebay.com....3sAAOSwfpVZLnSZ

http://www.ebay.com....qAAAOSwPh5ZLnSk

http://www.ebay.com....XMAAOSw42JZLnSf

http://www.ebay.com....NIAAOSwBt5ZLnSf

http://www.ebay.com....R4AAOSwuMZZLnSb

What kind of scam is this?

#360649 First Batch Of Callo Fry

Posted by tropheus on 23 March 2017 - 08:48 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Nice work! [emoji6]

#360620 German Imports

Posted by tropheus on 23 March 2017 - 03:16 AM in Cichlid Discussion

To be honest tropheus you have now stated that what I have chosen to share is lies I have been impartial thru this whole process if you actually read what I have written for the purpose of the thread I have l left information out because of not wanting to expand and inflame the situation at best something you should probably had taken note to do .

Don't ever call me a liar unless you know as fact what has happened and witnessed it to comment on the truth when you have done is make a great of assumptions and  don't have a clue or idea what is going on or what has happened.

Do you fully understand the Nature of what has happened do you fully understand that your comments are baseless and useless do you .The information I chose to share is fact it's not a he said she said why would you suggest dept of agg should be involved in your opinion which I asked everyone one back off and let it sort it's self out but no you had to keep going with your destructive comments

In case your not aware these forums are a great source of info for all dept of regulation.
So the real issue here with the department of ag is they had all ready cleared the shipment for release as the species Tropheus is on the schedule the variant was not what was shipped but the two variants look almost the same.

I also had over 15k involved in this trying to get some new variants in for all to enjoy so Tropheus with a name like that I thought you would be someone who would understand when a fellow breeder keeper asked In a nice fashion to just let it be and your thoughts opinions to yourself and not fuel this situation anymore would try to help the cause obviously not .

I would just like to thank you for not helping anyone in this situation other than you self to satisfy your own selfish need to put your opinions forward with no correct information what so ever.

to all the other members I thankyou for your understanding in this matter.
thecheif

Ive said it all along... This does not belong in social media!
I said this is for the 2 parties to sort out themselves!
Clearly, you aren't a customer of the lfs involved, which was the way I interpreted your previous posts. Perhaps I misunderstood your comments...
However, I never called anyone a liar. What I did say is that there are usually 3 sides to a story. This does not mean I am accusing you or anyone else of lying. There are, generally (not specifically aimed at you), different perspectives of events that occur. In this instance, there is also likely a language and/or cultural barrier which makes communications and expectations even more difficult.
Whatever has caused or resulted in the issues at hand is between the parties involved to address and hopefully resolve.
Don't forget, I have said the exporter should never have brought it into social media.
I also said in my previous post, that the Dept of Ag should be able to clarify what was brought into the country. This is not to say that you are lying, it is saying that they should be able to clarify. This is an independent body, that can hopefully help you prove to the exporter what was contained in the shipment.
I understand there has been a lot at stake (for both importer and exporter), but you have accused me of calling you a liar, which I have not. I have repeatedly said the same things. I have tried my best to remain completely neutral (with the exception of the exporter posting on FB, and comments presented as "facts")
My only issue with comments of facts, are that presenting them in a forum without verification cannot be considered to be a fact. The facts presented may truly be "facts", but they weren't proven as being factual. This doesn't mean they weren't. Again, I'm not calling you or anyone else a liar, it simply can't be presented as such without evidence. Not that I am suggesting you do so either. It simply doesn't belong on this forum or social media.
As I said previously, I was of the assumption that you were a customer, and what I was trying to say was that a customer may or may not be given whole truths. Nor should they. If they are given a story about events occurred, this may or may not be the full picture, and a customer presenting something again as a "fact" based on what they were told, does not make it a "fact".
I do think it's terrible the way this was brought into the public forum in the first place, and I can understand your frustrations but please don't lash out at me and accuse me of calling you a liar. I have made no such accusations.
Again I reiterate, this whole situation should've only be between only the two parties involved, possibly with the inclusion of the Ag dept for verification.
I do hope however, that this matter is resolved soon, and as smoothly as possible for you.
Personally, I think it's past time that this thread is locked from further comment, and I will not be commenting any further.

#360601 Perth Cichlid Society - Photo Competition 2017.

Posted by tropheus on 22 March 2017 - 03:46 PM in Past Photo Comps

How about an artwork comp? [emoji847]
Here is a drawing I just finished...
85f90de86988d48e149e828797ab9ea6.jpg

#360575 German Imports

Posted by tropheus on 21 March 2017 - 01:59 PM in Cichlid Discussion

No Fact

Now Dept of ag Vic is now involved inspecting the species that where allegedly sent against the species allegedly recived thanks facebook and all the the non involved commentators.

Now one of the the species in question will now not be arriving tommorrow until there investigation is finished .

Send me the missing link and i will tell you what it is or isnt Case closed

As is this post when my signature has changed you will know the fish are here minus the missing link

I think too much has been made of this topic.
The parties involved are the only ones that know what has occurred, and it doesn't belong in public opinion.
Simply stating something as a fact doesn't make it a fact. Either you are the owner of the LFS, or you are simply a customer. If you aren't the owner, then you are a customer that may have been told things about what occurred. This doesn't make those things told to be truthful (or lies). It is just what you were told.
So again, stating something as fact based on something you were told, doesn't make it the truth (or a lie).
Perhaps the Department of Agriculture ARE involved (I hope they are). They SHOULD be able to clarify the species brought in, especially with the changes made to our importations!
If there were species shipped that were not on the schedule, the question should be put to them as to why they were even allowed into the country after all their rigorous inspections etc.
I just think it's a great shame that this whole thing was brought into social media...
Anything that is discussed here or FB is pure speculation

#360530 German Imports

Posted by tropheus on 20 March 2017 - 02:56 AM in Cichlid Discussion

The cichlids are here some are not what they are supposed to be some are dead for the majority they are ok and will be better when settled in there final destination tanks

Regards thecheif

Apparently...

#360487 Fs 2X Electric Yellows

Posted by tropheus on 17 March 2017 - 11:53 PM in Classifieds

Lol
And I'm guessing you have been wondering where they have been going...? [emoji16]
At least your Africans will be getting a nice balanced diet [emoji6]

#360474 German Imports

Posted by tropheus on 17 March 2017 - 05:02 PM in Cichlid Discussion

I read this last night. To me it looks like there are 3 sides to the story. There is the exporters version, the importers version, and then the truth.
To me it looks like there is fault from both sides... I also think this is likely due to cultural/language barriers too rather than any deliberate actions.
It looks to me that the exporter went into panic mode when payment wasn't received when expected too, which certainly hasn't helped...
However, I'm not laying blame on either party. Only the 2 parties know exactly what has/hasn't occurred.
I also agree with comments that it should never have been brought into social media, but he did explain why it was done...

#360454 Fs 2X Electric Yellows

Posted by tropheus on 16 March 2017 - 08:47 PM in Classifieds

Lol
Ummm nothing.... [emoji848]

#360448 Fs 2X Electric Yellows

Posted by tropheus on 16 March 2017 - 04:26 PM in Classifieds

Africans with tetras? [emoji33]

#360415 German Imports

Posted by tropheus on 15 March 2017 - 03:59 PM in Cichlid Discussion

But I'm guessing we still lose the first 60 fish of any species ordered...?

#360334 What Spawned In Your Tank Today???

Posted by tropheus on 13 March 2017 - 02:24 PM in Cichlid Discussion

My 7 bar fronties spawned a few of days ago, then the female ate the eggs the next day... Does that count? Lol

#360078 One For The Tropheus Nuts

Posted by tropheus on 04 March 2017 - 05:46 PM in Cichlid Discussion

Age and stress levels are the biggest factors regarding the barring. Tropheus are not really that much different to any other cichlids species

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#359894 Definition: Huge

Posted by tropheus on 26 February 2017 - 04:48 PM in Off The Wall

I just had to laugh when I saw this...09ad2b51e94fdda2dba3d9825d36f43c.jpg
Some people have very different ideas about size lol

#359889 Co2 Gas Quality

Posted by tropheus on 26 February 2017 - 01:24 AM in Technical & Equipment

Yes co2 from home brew shops is fine
There is such a thing as industrial and food grade co2 here too
Stick to brew shops and you're all good [emoji6]

#359847 Some People

Posted by tropheus on 23 February 2017 - 12:09 PM in Off The Wall

If you are advertising on FB or Gumtree, I think the reason is self explanatory.
I'd be surprised if you are advertising on this forum and having the same issues.
Advertising to the general public is the issue. It's pretty much the same issue that was discussed with hybrids a week or two ago. These people are generally not true hobbyists, and generally don't really care.
I'm not trying to be judgmental, just realistic...
My suggestion to everyone here would be to try selling to true hobbyists first. You are more likely to have a better experience as both buyer and seller, and as an added bonus we can revive the classifieds section of this wonderful forum

#359618 Diy Aquarium (Tempered Glass Build)

Posted by tropheus on 15 February 2017 - 03:38 PM in DIY

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this?
I know tempered glass can't be cut, and I've read about potential issues with tempered glass shattering as apposed to sheet glass cracking. But I've not been able to find any real information about success or (catastrophic) failures...

#359550 Wtf?

Posted by tropheus on 13 February 2017 - 08:38 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Whatever they are they look like hybrids to me! You should be ashamed of yourself and don't even think about trying to sell them!

#359549 Hybrids

Posted by tropheus on 13 February 2017 - 08:35 PM in Cichlid Discussion

The problem has always been there. I don't think they do it for the purpose of making money really... They just end up with fry from a mixed species tank and don't even consider culling because they are stoked to have babies *YAY*. Fishkeepers like to rubbish anyone that makes money... So here we are again pretending that another of the hobby's problems are because of someone making money... Its stuffing ridiculous.

Also, who says that flogging hybrids is wrong? I understand of course the consequences of what they do same as you do but the point is they aren't doing anything that they perceive as being wrong because they don't see the hobby as a lifetime interest... The big picture to them is the mixed display tank in their lounge room.

No point telling them they're wrong, most simply don't have the right perspective to make sense of it.

Interesting though that PCS Forum participation rates seem to be considerably down on 6 + years ago (Same as all forums)... Maybe the problem has become worse since forums lost the ability to so readily influence new/casual hobbyists.

Nailed it!
Most "hobbyists" don't fit into either camp (ethical breeder or cash grabber). It is ignorant people (and I do mean this in the nicest way possible) and newbies that fill their tanks with "pretty" fish and get babies they are excited about. They usually wouldn't know one species from another, so you can't blame them, or the fish for that matter (they don't know what contraception is, or how to control their hormones lol).
So they grow up babies (who enjoys culling? I don't. And thankfully I've never needed to worry about crossbreeds. So put yourself in their unknowing shoes...).
So, they grow up the fish and then need to get rid of them because they run out of space or whatever, so they try and make a couple of bucks on gumtree to supplement the costs of being in the hobby...
Can u blame them? No
Can u educate them? Depends on how u approach the topic.
Having a go at them would only make them more stubborn. Some people won't care, but the majority would do the right thing if they were given feedback in a constructive manner, rather than the typical know it all attitude that is often displayed (perhaps unknowingly). I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. I'm just saying that it is easy to appear elitist to the uneducated.
Flowerhorns anyone? Lol

Btw, where do you guys sit with line-bred variants? Discus or goldfish are a great examples... but there are so many species that are line-bred.
I'm a bit of a purist. I much prefer the natural colours and appearance of most fish in the trade.
Goldfish are probably the only exception, but they have been line-bred for over a thousand years and hardly resemble the species they originally came from.

#359442 Id Please

Posted by tropheus on 09 February 2017 - 08:44 PM in Cichlid Discussion

It looks like a baenschi, but it could be anything.
Aulonocara are extremely easy to cross breed...

#359374 February Meeting - P.c.s. Auction

Posted by tropheus on 07 February 2017 - 11:42 PM in Monthly Meetings - Next Meeting Info

I'm assuming the auction was very successful...?
Unfortunately I had to leave before the action started. There were quite a few items I had my eyes on too!!!
Oh well, I guess there were some very happy cichlidophiles tonight. At least my wallet is happy (for the moment)!

#359367 New Aquarium

Posted by tropheus on 07 February 2017 - 05:50 PM in Off The Wall

Perfect for my multies - may need to buy more shells though

I was thinking the same thing for my occies

#359365 New Aquarium

Posted by tropheus on 07 February 2017 - 05:21 PM in Off The Wall

If I bought that tank, I would probably need a new house ...and probably a new wife too lol

#359351 New Aquarium

Posted by tropheus on 07 February 2017 - 03:32 PM in Off The Wall

I'm considering upgrading to a larger tank, and I think this should do nicely...
4816d885433c91ee85ac983549753a0c.jpg