• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#21 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

No the tank was running for a month, but I'm not talking any chances

<br /><br />So it wasn't touching the silicon for a month? Just curious as can't figure out how that would all work. I would think if it was an issue you would get an initial release which would reduce with time OR something changed in the canister somehow. <br /><br /><br />Craig.

#22 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

Leichardti, the silicone that holds the lid to the tank 

The middle line in the diagram below

I                                   I    The top part is the lid, the silicone between the lid and the glass is different silicone than the silicone holding the tank together.

I                                   I

I                                   I

The tank had filter media from my other tank which is definitely cycled, the water was declorynated so it means the bacteria couldn't have died and we put the fish in the same time we put the media in, so if there are any other questions feel free to ask, the problem is resolved and is getting fixed...

I'll take a week or two off, See you later guys!

#23 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

You do realise that it can sometimes take much longer than a month for the tank to be fully cycled right?  (just saw your reply)

Also when you disturbed your thick sand substrate, you could have poisoned your fish.

The fact you keep saying your water was 'perfect' without giving some sort of proof with a simple water test numbers just shows how immature you are. And that you posted the water test results AFTER a big water change.. Do you want people to help you? Or is this just some sort of cry for attention? =_=

If you knew the silicone was a bit dodgy to begin with (as the previous owner told you about it) then it was just down right stupid to not have removed it and resealed it to begin with, rather than risking so many expensive fish. Right now you just sound like a spoilt brat. I'm guessing your folks paid for your fish hence you're not REALLY interested in how they died, are you? :|

Edited by chocky, 28 January 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#24 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

I'm seriously doubting if the previous owner said that. I'm still not getting what the silicone is on, do you mean the lid rails? I thought you had a hood?

#25 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

The truth finally comes out. No way your seeded media would of been able to provide a brand new tank being fully stocked on the same day with enough bb to immediately start your cycle. Just dobbed yourself in bud and guess what everyone on here assumed correctly, your own lack of knowledge and impatience killed your fish, not silicone or bacteria or toxic wood. Checkmate

Edited by benno87, 28 January 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#26 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

Seeing as you guys seem very thick, the media was full of a load of bacteria it had my Ngara colony in it, the tank was not fully stocked it had 12 fish around 6cm in it, they are tank which aren't messy and they weren't overfed providing plenty of ammonia for the filters!

The previous owner definitely said that sorry to not agree, I was sick of all this crap I was copping from you guys, seeing as I know it was the silicone holding this on the tank Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453978933.291547.jpg   302.34KB   13 downloads
Hood?

I asked the guy several times if he was sure he replied yes every time, "I had the tank filled just near the top because I was told it leaks" (water evaporates) " when I filled it to the silicone my fish started dying, I then grabbed some hybrids and tested the theory that the wrong silicone was there, every time I filled it my fish died!

So he did say that...

The man said it was the silicone, he said it would take a couple of weeks to kill the fish... 4 weeks for me which makes seance seeing as the chemical would become less and less seeing as he tested it 3 times... Hence why it took a while

Seeing as the problem is fixed and I was right which partly amazes me myself

Well......

I'm sorry for being an asshat

You guys should be too!

#27 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

Did the cycled media fill up both filters? I highly doubt it.

I can't believe someone older then myself calls people with years and years of experience asshats and thick. Nice way to earn yourself a bad name. 

Edited by Leichardti, 28 January 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#28 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

Ok I'm so done with you people, the silicone was the problem! I got my waster tested at an aquarium store and was told the water is perfect the tank is completely cycled... I have a bad name for myself, did you only just realise, I only stood up for myself and proved almost everyone wrong.... There is no reason to now post here so please don't! Sharon go away please

Edited by LexAgate, 28 January 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#29 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Looks like one of the tanks you can buy in a shop with the siliconed on hood and stuff, do you know which brand and model? I'd like to see if there have been any other problems of this sort with them for other people, though I doubt there will be. Are you going to be setting up the tank again with some more fish? Oh and where the hell did you get the name Sharon?

Edited by Leichardti, 28 January 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#30 Gav79

Gav79
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

At this point it's not about who's right and who's wrong... It's about the loss of some fantastic fish and doing what is needed so this doesn't occur again. Do what you need to do mate, I just hope you figure it out and get on with it, you're obviously very passionate about the hobby but your passion could also be your worst enemy.

I've never been called an "asshat" before but I'll just put it down to a new experience in my life.

#31 The Simple Guy

The Simple Guy
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Was proving yourself right so important that you have now put yourself in this situation.
If you are right or wrong doesnt matter to a single person here,
You asked a question to which you were not happy with the answers given to you by many people with many varied experiences.
Whether or not you listen to the information given is solely up to you but please dont "stand up for yourself" to the point of breaking ties with this community that are only here to help and enjoy this hobby together.
We are all solely responsible for what happens in our own tanks.
Instead of pointing the finger, use this opportunity to realise a miskate was made and how to overcome and move forward

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#32 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

Well I'm doing what I'm doing and hopefully all problems are resolved!

Edited by LexAgate, 28 January 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#33 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

My mothers name yes. I'm just really confused, does it show up on my profile or something? Sorry for hijacking the post, nothing was really happening other then arguing anyway

Edited by Leichardti, 28 January 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#34 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

She told me last night!

my inner 5 year old is out
Ok I'm right I tried to tell you guys that, but the problem is people not believing me everyone has their opinion!

If everyone is against me and think that I'm killing my fish because I'm lazy, young, and stupid ect then why is this forum here when people are judged on age???

I missed 1 water change.... It was not a spike.....

So now that just about everyone hates me on here,

Great now I have no chance of getting answers from anyone.......

#35 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Believe me Lex, people aren't judged by their age on this forum, considering I'm a 12yo. Really though, did Sharon actually come up on my profile? I'd like to change it,  as I'd much rather have people not thinking I have a female name  ^_^

Edited by Leichardti, 28 January 2016 - 08:44 PM.

#36 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

They are judged, my problem was uncommon in aquariums, so people on her (ASSUME) because I'm young!

Have you had problems that end up being very strange?

Tell us your real name?

#37 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Keelan as in my signature. This discussion about what happened in your tank is finished I think. Just reseal the top to reassure yourself and cycle your tank for 2-4 weeks while checking parameters for Ammonia and Nitrite to go down and Nitrate up. Also, keep cheaper and hardier fish as a beginner. Just really research what you're doing.

Edited by Leichardti, 28 January 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#38 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

Hardier fish, beginner?

I have kept fish for 4 years, cichlids for 3... I know basics pretty well....

I'm breeding some Malawi as we speak!

I'm starting again thanks for the advice!

#39 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:09 AM

Keep a male malawi with a female and you will have babies.

People here arent judged on age. Leichardti and redevilz are 2 young guys and have good reputations.
Anyway this thread is now easily the most ridiculous, even surpassing Brodybmx's "peacock bass in local lake" thread.

#40 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

lets add some advice and some assumptions...

if your keeping 2k worth of fish why do you keep them in a dodgy second hand tank ???

someone who keeps tangs longterm correct me if im wrong... dont you need very large colonies so aggression is spread around and fish dont stress and die ??? small numbers of tangs self destruct and end up killing each other ???

when i hear someone say "my water is perfect" alarm bells go off... rarely ever is someones water perfect... perfect would mean ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 .... and all experienced and knowledgable fish keepers know nitrates are never 0 :)  unless your into marines :) or your tank is in early stages of cycling :)

ammonia can damage fishes gills today and overnight biofiltration catches up and in the morning you can test and have zero ammonia.... and you think all is good... but no the damage is done to the fish and in most cases permanent.... the fish will die over a period of time cause its gills are damaged and it cant breathe properly or eat properly and suffers a slow death... from experience when you ammonia damage a group of fish they dont all die at the same time unless ammonia level is high... they die over a period of days and weeks....

when someones fish die they always look for a rare and bizarre reason for death to justify their fish keeping skills... but my experience over the years is ammonia is responsible for close on 90% of fish deaths in aquaria.... so based on that and that alone you now know the reason why your fish died.... 

pick up the pieces and learn from this - cause if your dont and you stay on your stubborn current course of fish keeping you're gonna experience much more grief in the future...... hey i killed 34 x L046 fry once - but i learnt from that and try not to do it again.... dont bother doing the sums to work out how much money that is - its a truck load :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canister, filter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users