Photo

Tank Journal 280L

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

I guess it's time to start one of my own so here it is.

280l curved glass by some chinese supplier,
Bottom pre drilled for overflow.

First off I made a messy attempt at forming a weir but hey it does the job.
Has a durso overflow ( for some reason it was a prick to tune for quiet operation got it there in the end, going to attempt to get a bit more flow but taking baby steps.

Sump was built by Vebas and also have an auto top up tank ready for later on down the track.

As ot stands at them moment I just want to get the saltwater in and live rock so i can get it cycling. I'm in no hurry to get any coral or fish at this point I want it aquascaped to my satisfaction as I have a particular look in my head.
ydava2un.jpg
uheqaju9.jpg
uja6apug.jpg
y7e2enu6.jpg

#2 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Nice

#3 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

Very nice looking tank mate.

Keen to see the progress on this one! :)

#4 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

Very neat setup! More photos pls

#5 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

Will put some more photos up next weekend as thats when im going in to get live rock. Cleaned out the dust and debri from the tank and saltwaters in.

Got the pump going at full tilt now and the overflow keeps up aswell so according to the pump manufacturer it should have in theory a turnover of 2100ish l/ph bit high but from the advise ive been given it should be good.

Simulated power failure and there is no spillage and the siphon on the over manages to pick back up after a minute or so

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#6 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

I like the look of this. One thing I have noticed is that there is a million things you need to learn and that can go wrong with marine.
I am so happy I chose the Red Sea as a beginner because while I take care of this for the next year or two it gives me the opportunity to learn how it all works etc.
What you're doing, by taking it slow, is ultimately building a better and more stable foundation for your reef which is probably the most important thing I have learnt so far.
Patience, consistency and stability.
Can't wait to see as things happen for you - this is going to be a bad ass build.

#7 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yeah this learning curve has just smacked me right in the face, turns out you really have to be careful who you get your advise from. Just been to visit ocean reef for some rock and had a real eye opener. But have been put on the right track and will update when things get moving again damnit Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by kc_read, 19 October 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#8 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

What happened mate?

#9 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

From advise I was given I was told I wouldnt need a skimmer until I've cycled the live rock but thats not the case, if I go through ocean reef there wont won't be an ammonia spike as the rocks basically ready to go... the issue is I had no issue going and getting a skimmer and anything else I may need

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

I live close to ocean reefs, I'm still getting over my marine addiction so I haven't been up there in a while... The guys up there are spot on with advice :)

I like your setup, it's nice n clean and all the plumbing is flash! :)

#11 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

I got my life rock from Oceanreefs and stil had to run the cycle.
My tank was even already setup when I got it but still ran a mini cycle again. I would count your chickens before they hatch in regards to ANYTHING with marine.
I have probably done heaps of shit everyone said not to do but I tested my water everyday for 4 weeks so I had a pretty good understand of where my tank was at and trusted the water and the system to do its thing.
I introduced new pieces but by bit week by week and kept an eye on the params each time. It has worked for me so if I was you I would grab a diary (or download an app) and monitor as much as you can. Be one with the tank.
I don't think any one persons advice will ever be right for every aquarium.

#12 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

I undestand that in all likelyness there will be a mini cycle but nothing on the scale of what the Americans have to deal with. My issue was I was told I wouldn't need a skimmer to start out with. I'm picking up a skimmer this weekend and probably get some liverock the following week once work settles down.

on that note anyone know what the aqua excel skimmers are like seem pretty cheap but seem to have good reviews from what I've seen so far.

Edited by kc_read, 23 October 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

I've made my own skimmers and they work pretty good but it's one of those things with marine if you go the cheap option it'll cost you in maintainence over time.

That said I agree that it's trial and error and just try it out and see how it works for you :)

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Go bigger don't get one that's just rated for your tank, go at least double.

#15 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

All good its not quite rated to double but its definitly overcompensating quite a bit, just picked it up lastnight. Grabbed some live rock also so I'll be keeping an eye on it over the coming weeks. Also grabbed a cheapy powerhead to give some movement and I'll put a decent one on order from the net.

#16 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

Photos man PHOTOS

#17 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

not the greatest photos, after stacking the rock I'm not happy with the amount so I'll probaly get some nice big pieces. I want a nice big arch that goes 2 thirds of the height of the tank and maybe an island off to the left.

20141025_1319091_zps14b2122d.jpg20141025_1317351_zps9ac1fae5.jpg20141025_1317271_zps84575e09.jpg20141025_1317191_zps6c4c1df9.jpg

#18 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

What substrate are you using?
I think it looks good mate!
Scares me having a bare bottom with the layout like that. Hope the rocks are stable or glued

#19 kc_read

kc_read
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'll b e getting some crushed coral this weekend (completely spaced on that) worked all week end so the tanks been at the back my mind. Did some tests lastnight and Ammonia is non existent and nitrates sitting at the lower end but not too worried as I'm going to get more live rock aswell.

I chose bits that interlock pretty well so its chances of falling apart will be fairly low i got a rod and poked it quite roughly to make sure aswell

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

You're on your way!! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users