Photo

Importing Aulonocara

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Seeing as most of the importable malawi's are Aulonocara I made a list of 4 types that look like nice fish but I haven't really seen of in the 4 years I have been keeping my cichlids! So I was going to import a colony of these guys and breed them for you guys so we can spread them around the hobby. Aulonocara Usisya Flavescent Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448274541.839379.jpg   914.41KB   19 downloads Aulonocara Hueseri Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448274583.457371.jpg   866.03KB   19 downloads Aulonocara Saulosi Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448274662.080464.jpg   101.89KB   18 downloads Aulonocara Kandeense Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448274693.794311.jpg   89.85KB   18 downloads So just comment the name of the peacock and how rare you think these guys are in Perth on a scale of 1-5, 1 being common 5 being rare! Almost like a voting system I'll post the results much later, Cheers.

Edited by LexAgate, 23 November 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#2 Bailey

Bailey
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:26 PM

The aulonocara kandeense looks really nice

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:14 PM

There already here.

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:36 AM

Get the hueseri, great fish.
Kandensis and Saulosi don't color up as much as you see in the pics ... Or at least they do, but not too frequently.
Hueseri you can keep from 2 males to 10 males together and they will alway be colored up.. Small Sandy aulonocara but with a good character :)

#5 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

I'm still leaning towards the kandeense, but as i said above they might all be here but is the quality certain, maybe any other aulonocara people want to see over here? Put down whatever you think we need over here!

There already here.

I know they might, but what's not, ok I'll simplify the question.
What peacock do you guys want me to breed?
I'm wanting to breed something that is nice but has gone extinct or turned into a bunch of hybrids! 
Plus don't make it too pricey, looking to get a colony for about $200-$400
Thanks Fellas

Edited by LexAgate, 24 November 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#6 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

I was just saying, why waste your money on importing and inspection fees ( about $250/ large box) when they can be sourced here.

#7 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

Ive always wondered what the purple fish is in the top right hand corner of this website next to the elec yellow.

I might be wrong but I don't normally see too many purple coloured fish.... could be rare?

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hey steve, what sexy peacocks do you have breeding at the moment? The ones you brought to the Auction were very nice looking fish!

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

That ones a type of Tropheus, i think it's Tropheus moori Lufubu but i've never seen them that purple. It's probably the flash from the camera that's made it look so purple. A purple- ish Peacock is Aulonocara chitande type north Nkhata bay. I have these and they are rather nice.

Edited by sandgroper, 24 November 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Shhhh Jas it's a secret.

The one i brought along to a club meeting for the show table was a wild caught Aulonocara steveni Hongi Island Tanzania. (fry available)

Edited by sandgroper, 24 November 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#11 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

That ones a type of Tropheus, i think it's Tropheus moori Lufubu but i've never seen them that purple. It's probably the flash from the camara that's made it look so purple. A purple- ish Peacock is Aulonocara chitande type north Nkhata bay. I have these and they are rather nice.

It is definitely NOT a Tropheus, ;)  

#12 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

Here is a photo when he was starting to colour up Attached File  DSCN2518.JPG   181.83KB   15 downloads not the best photo as it's only a point and shoot camara. He now has black the full length of the dorsal and his body colour is more yellow .

It is definitely NOT a Tropheus, ;)  

:brickwall:

#13 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Purple fish = Tropheus moorii (Chaitika) Blue Rainbow

#14 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Purple fish = Tropheus moorii (Chaitika) Blue Rainbow

I am sorry for being sarcastic before.... I was waiting on some answers here to see how many people would actually know.

I was keeping a breeding colony of these for a while and then decided to sell them and to go for Planted discus tank....

Not sure who is keeping them and if they are still around shame as it was very nice coloured and beautiful fish....

The video here does not reflect the beautiful colours ....

https://www.youtube....d&v=KpObbOGDghk

ANd some photos:

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Edited by Maaxim, 24 November 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#15 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

If it's a blue rainbow, then the guy that named them needs his eyes tested. Purple= blue :Rofl_3f: not in my eyes.

#16 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

Importing tropheus stuff Aulonocara you all say?

#17 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:30 PM

Just keep what you enjoy, don't worry about what others think. It's not about the fast buck , it's all about the enjoyment and if you make a little coin along the way then it's a bonus.

#18 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

Nice fish and nice photo's maaxim

#19 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:33 AM

There's never dollars in 1,2,3,4 or 5 fish tyes,,,, Perth market just isn't there, your always going to lose out at some point to break even or run at a loss.
And yes I know,,, you just want something you can pass on easy without getting stuck,, but same thing,, Perth market isn't there.
You'll be able to move a few, but you'll enevatably get stuck with lots.

There's only profit to be made from a very big operation,,,, a constant little bit of this and a little bit of that,,, which suits Perth and keeps the market fresh.

Your best of with what Mattia said,,,, this way you can keep plenty of males to make a lovely appearance and have only 2-3 females to give you some occasional fry.

People are always looking at value of fish or how nice they think the fish looks,,, but it has no bearing on just how much can be
sold (marketability).
Every Specie has a different rate of marketability, and these rates and fish selections vary all the time, so you have to be in constant touch with the market,,,,,, though the quality firm favorites usually remain top of marketability,,, but then there's usually competition against other breeders.

So as the Mr Sandgroper says,,, just get what floats your boat.

I'll give some simple advice which is so simple it's just old fashioned smartness,, (seizing real opportunity as it spreads open for you).
You have a new aquarium store opening in mandurah.
Keep your communication short and sweet, and dont be a time user to real bussinesses by nagging and making a pest of yourself,,,,,,
Keeping above sentence in mind. (nothing to do with Cichlid forums your attendance is wanted). Contact the shop and tell them how many species your capable of and ask them what they'd like you to breed if they want you to supply.
Selling your fish to shops is best way to preserve a species existence and get the fish out there.

Take this in,,, you've just been shown the ACTUAL realistic side to the ornamental fish scene.

#20 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:22 AM

I know everyone is saying I want some money, it's more I want to keep more peacocks over here, 70% of the Cichlid newbies get an all peacock tank so if the males are half colourful they will get bough off gumtree or something, I'm wanting to make this Hobbes full of heaps of peacocks not just get the ones that will sell as such.

I'm wanting a peacock that when you guys see be like "oh my god I haven't seen these in ages wow" something that everyone wants over here.
Looks like all you guys are right seeing as you know your stuff, the Hueseri it is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users