• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

http://mobile.abc.ne...harbour/7382344

I'll try to remember but really it's not that important to me to try and persuade people who have already decided I'm an idiot.

Try reading a different perspective. The article above is old but these concerns about roe 8 are still relevant. Barnett just ignored them and barnstormed ahead. As a result the Libs lost a couple of key seats - the danger of not listening to your populace. Sure the populace had already had enough of him but that's because of the approach he consistently took with such matters and repeated with Roe 8 . Remember the naming of Elizabeth Quay. He just named it and ignored all established processes. I think Labor have a point if they say the money wasted is more to do with the Libs stubbornly going ahead with a project that was unsupported by major stakeholders (excepting the contractors with a vested interest) than labor scrapping it - but it's all perspective. You'll believe what you want to and I'll continue thinking I'm clever. But hey, this cleared bushland (not wetland) it's primed for residential development now and that's worth a pretty penny in that area. That'd go a ways to recouping barnetts wasted money ;)

So if you do read the article, look at what Carol Adams has to say about timeframes and a "whole of government approach" 7 years is doable if everybody got on board, saw Kwinana as the logical solution and started getting serious about a long term solution. You even have the fricken environmentalists on board for Kwinana for fairys sake. How daft do you have to be to not agree that Kwinana is the solution that's in the best interest of the people, the environment and the economy?

Roe hwy to Fremantle was a great idea 30 years ago but Perth has changed a lot in 30 years. Not changing the plans and adapting to a different situation is hardly what I would define as progress.

#22 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

I'll try to remember but really it's not that important to me to try and persuade people who have already decided I'm an idiot.

:Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

wasnt a bad read on the top prime ministers of australia... it is very hard to rate prime ministers for the time period and economical situation they were in... people rate john howard highly.... which i did - until he fabricated port arthur and closed the files so no independent review or royal commision can take place till exactly 30 years after australias worst massacre... hmmm 30 years should do it - ol johnny howard should be dead by then or in a home with alzheimers and conveniently cant remember anything... only 9 more years to go till the australian people can get some real justice.... it still gets me how 35 people were killed and only 23 injured... every similar type of massacre world wide has significantly many more injured than killed... how does someone who's regarded as mentally retarded achieve the never achieved kill rates of port arthur.... and shooting right handed from the hip with such accuracy for martin bryant who's left handed... anyway enough only 9 years to go johnny  :ph34r:

#23 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

'The Environmentalists are on board' - Stages 1 and 2 of the Kwinana outer harbor are at the end of Rowley Road and Anketell Road - Smack bang in the middle of Cockburn Sound! With an estimated 740, 000 people enjoying recreational fishing in WA, do you really think building an outer harbor in Kwinana (essentially Cockburn Sound it just sounds less invasive to say Kwinana as people immediately think industrial already) won't have any opposition?

1. Cockburn sound plays host to one of the largest Pink Snapper spawning aggregations on the WA coastline

2. Big sections of Cockburn sound is made up of fragile seagrass beds - which are susceptible to turbidity issues

3. Had a well publicized 'major' fish kill recently, which left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths

4. Is used by thousands of rec fisho's each year, usually in trailer boats and Kayaks. Not a great move mixing Kayaks, Trailer boats and large ships.

5. Already has pressure from surrounding industry.

If you think Cockburn sound won't have a voice, think again.

#24 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

how does someone who's regarded as mentally retarded achieve the never achieved kill rates of port arthur.... and shooting right handed from the hip with such accuracy for martin bryant who's left handed...

Illuminati?

#25 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

The first section of bush that was cleared was actually no way near as important as the protestors were making it out to be. It was used by illegal rubbish dumpers, hence why there were asbestos concerns and if you looked closely it was kind of poluted by other sorts of rubbish as well. The other thing that gets me is why so much fuss over this when how many acres of paperbark swap and banksia have been cleared in the southern river and piara waters area?

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Because it was 'cool' to be a Roe 8 protestor and be seen down there to be 'making a difference'.

#27 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Because people only give a shit when it affects them (eg: property prices near roe 8). The "not in my backyard" people were protesting, that's for sure. I used to live in thornlie at the edge of canning vale as a kid. That was when canning vale was rural, and the last bits of thornlie (forest lakes) was all swamp. Thousands of houses now where there was trees and swamps. Also, I had a friend that owned a garden nursery in southern river, and he wasn't allowed to sell it off as a development lot as some enviro hipster said it was in a natural spring? Well now it's brooklands pub, baskin n robins, and a crap load of houses. No one complained when both of those places were developed. Probably didn't affect house prices. Everything is about money, a lot of greedy people in the world. Aaaaaand that's enough from me. Good night

#28 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

450 million dollar project - and i wonder just how much will have to be paid out in already signed contracts ????  mcgowen will do well to get out of this under 100 million loss of tax payers money.... sad really cause the contractors will be paid but they wont be paying workers... so a lot of workers will be without a job and an income... 

mcgowen would do well if he come to his senses and realises it should be completed..... doing some sums after all its a lot of federally funded money which WA wont receive if its canned.... 

#29 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yes I agree Johnno labour said they can scrap it for 50 million but experts think will be closer to 150 million which is a lot of money going to waste I personally think roe 8 is needed more than metronet but that's my imo hopefully like poncho said they can sell the land off to recoup some $$$$

#30 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Because people only give a shit when it affects them (eg: property prices near roe 8). The "not in my backyard" people were protesting, that's for sure. I used to live in thornlie at the edge of canning vale as a kid. That was when canning vale was rural, and the last bits of thornlie (forest lakes) was all swamp. Thousands of houses now where there was trees and swamps. Also, I had a friend that owned a garden nursery in southern river, and he wasn't allowed to sell it off as a development lot as some enviro hipster said it was in a natural spring? Well now it's brooklands pub, baskin n robins, and a crap load of houses. No one complained when both of those places were developed. Probably didn't affect house prices. Everything is about money, a lot of greedy people in the world. Aaaaaand that's enough from me. Good night

I agree with you on that one Westie, its almost like, this is happening within walking/public transport distance to our place, lets go and lock ourselves to a tree as I don't have to pay anybody to take me there.  

#31 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

I'm guessing Labor and the contractors will renegotiate to do others works in the area while the contractors are mobilised, be it road widening or intersection upgrades (band aid for a bullet wound). The cleared land will be revegetated, I highly doubt it will be sold as blocks. Absolute waste of time and money. 

#32 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

I heard from someone that the contractors are going to be used for the widening of armadale road. Not sure if it's true or not.

#33 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

http://www.watoday.c...302-guphpe.html

Interesting to see what's coming out of the wash hey. I'm not surprised though - this was Barnetts style and we have suffered because of it. Don't believe me - read up on the Fiona Stanley hospital project management. Asbestos, budget blowouts ohs incidents - go on and look it up. It's just one example!

I don't know about you guys but I tend to get very skeptical when vested interests ie the consultants, tell me there is no issue and everything has been done by the book. This article above quotes some of the leading academic views in the state and their opinions on the validity of the project. These views consider other similar projects in different states which to me gives these views a lot of credibility.

One point that seemed very relevant to me was that there has been no planning for the next stage of this project. So we have no, zero, nada idea about whether the freight link can actually be completed. I'm no Rhodes scholar but to me, committing half a billion to finish half a project when you don't know how it can be completed is what is defined as a frivolous waste of tax dollars. Thank god mcgowan has the balls to stay firm despite public outcry from numbskulls, axe this dumb project, save us from further extreme debt and put priority into saving us from wasting this money by reallocating the committed resources to other much needed transport projects. Kwinana port is inevitable guys - wake up!the conservationists have already and are positioning themselves to try and ensure this major project has minimum environmental impact, not block progress!

Any update on the final cost blowout? Have heard the number rise to $148m in some media comments and I'm waiting to be held to account for earlier comments I made here. What a load of bollocks!!!

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

Poncho - there is no need to be held accountable for earlier comments. Whether the scrapping of this project costs $50m, $100m or $200m (to terminate contracts). That is not the real question (for me).  When will we find out if the federal funding from Roe 8/freight link be transferred to another project? From memory the federal funding was $1.2b (for freight link), in my opinion, if the funding is not transferred/reallocated to another project then the WA Labor party will have $1.2 billion dollars worth of egg on their face. Let's also be honest with ourselves Turnbull and the Lib's in Canberra also don't mind screwing WA, as was evident with our recent cut of the GST. What a disaster that would be for WA $1.2b worth of lost federal funding for infrastructure projects in WA and the ~$150m to burn the contracts.

The bus project out at Ellenbrook has also been scrapped. 

IMO there needs to be some legislation introduced to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future. To me is seems that governments want to leave a legacy, and are willing to eliminate previously planned (and in roe's case started) projects in order to fund their own legacy. It is a waste of resources.

#35 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

^ ain't that the truth!
Im glad to see McGowan reducing the government departments AND starting from the directorate down. It's annoying when any talk of cutbacks usually results in the workers being knocked on the head and leaving govvy departments top heavy and wasteful.

#36 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

just wish mundaring shire would take some notice of that.... so top heavy if one of the outside work crew take a day off they would collapse....

#37 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

That's what is wrong with Australia, to many sitting on their asses shuffling papers and not enough actually producing stuff. Time Australia got back to manufacturing and MAKE AUSTRALIA GREAT AGAIN.

#38 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Funds from freight link have been reallocated. Good for WA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users